Halo Reach Avatar Build: My first foam build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryu

Hey guys and gals of the 405th hope your projects are coming along well.

As the tilte suggests this is my first build using foam and hopefully it won't be a complete catastrophe. I have done fibre glass and although the armour made was alright it was alot more expensive than i would have hoped it to be.

5778476942_cb82ef3c7b_b.jpg
This was my fibreglass build as as you can see not great but acceptable i would think.

Anyway moving on my Avatar consists of Carter's helmet the collar breacher chest armour ( still can't find a working pep link to the collar attachment ) Fj para knee guards and shins, the commando shoulder on my left and the multi threat shoulder on my right ( again can't seem to find a pep file for it )

Having bought the foam for the build i hit a problem straight away....the foam is textured on both sides.
IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

Underside
IMG_1037.jpg

Topside

If any of you guys know a way of lossing this texture without having to spary bucket loads of plasti dip and paint i'd appreciate it, using old school methods such as pva glue and even liquid latex have come with poor results.

That said i'm looking forward to posting more on this awesome site!!

Well, sandpaper will get the texture right off. But that's a lot of work and the end result will look kind of "fluffy"

Well, sandpaper will get the texture right off. But that's a lot of work and the end result will look kind of "fluffy"

I guess that would be a method yeah and as you said the result would be fluffy but if i used plasti dip afterwards would that resolve the fluffy issue ?

Also i'm from the UK so i bought 96 square foot of these mats for less than £60 so i have alot of them to work with lol.

I guess that would be a method yeah and as you said the result would be fluffy but if i used plasti dip afterwards would that resolve the fluffy issue ?
Hit them with a heat gun after sanding and that will eliminate any "fluffiness", then you can Plasti-dip them.

I suppose that would work thanks Zat German, i sanded the topside down using an angle grinder and it gave me a smooth surface the on;y problem being it has a small radius. This would mean that unless i can level the foam out i would get un even levels. Still it's progress for sure ^^

I have managed to sort out the texture problem, a good round with the heat gun gets rid of the texture as well as sealing the foam for painting, so killing two birds with one stone there.

One thing i am confused on is the measurement of the chest piece as some people say meausre shoulder to shoulder while others say round the chest... which is the better option as in the pep designer i thought the widest point would be measured from the under rib linning harness so any tips would be appreciated 8)

I'm no expert when it comes to taking measurements, but I think the best one to your would be a bust measurement (around the widest part of the chest) although I'll admit I have problems with this as well.

If anyone has a better answer, I look forward to it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you found a solution to the two sided texture. I found mats at five below that are only textured on one side.

Glad you found a solution to the two sided texture. I found mats at five below that are only textured on one side.
Make sure to look at the dates on threads, The last post by the OP was in October 2011!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back