Dead Space LV3 Helmet & Suit *pic heavy*

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxtbookNinja

Hi all,
New to posting here, but was a frequent reader of the forums and used these forums for tons of help and resources. Anyway, this is my first attempt at making anything from cardboard and also first time touching any kind of Bondo products.

Wanted to get some feedback and any suggestions. I stuck to the template about 75%, tried to add a few of my own dimensions and made a few of my own cuts.

Started with I think the wrong type of cardstock. It was multilayered and I was a bit to far into the cuts before I found out that was a bad thing. Fiberglass coating seemed easy enough for the first time using it.
6254191355_15e0f1e340.jpg

Extremely nervous putting the bondo body filler on. I thought I was for sure going to ruin my piece. Im still not sure if I put enough on or put too much on.
6254722202_dd57994f6f.jpg

6254191441_ece767cbfd.jpg

Sanded and used spot putty as suggested by a few people. I didnt sand it completely smooth - a few of my friends told me it might look better if I left a few imperfections.
6254191489_ca6c4c2b26.jpg

Coated with a Silver Metallic Hammered paint/primer twice.
6254191531_0420c6e1e7.jpg

After silver paint/primer dried - coated twice with Bronze Hammered.
6254191585_0bab12aaf1.jpg

6254191623_22208b6088.jpg

Weathered a bit using black acrylic and a bit of darker grey acrylic. Blotted a bit with the inside of a sock haha. Im going to go back and add a bit more to some of the areas that look dented I think...
6254191669_4488c492ac.jpg

6254191639_80ddbb6ed2.jpg

Installed EL Tape for the lights. I lined the battery packs for the EL tape in the mid section of the helm on each side to try and evenly distribute the weight on each side.
6254191687_2b73db00de.jpg

6254722116_f60627d746.jpg

That's all I have done for now. Ive started on the Arm Armor, however I'm just freehanding the rest of the armor. Looking to get everything done by Halloween this year. The Helmet managed to take me about a week and a half. Im assuming the rest of the pieces wont take as long. Im still wondering what material I should make the RIG out of and where to start... any ideas or suggestions would be swell.

No doesnt bother my eyes at all the front side of the EL Tape is the only side illuminated, I left a 1/8" space between the EL tape and the third faceplate which I can see through. Granted I cant see much, but enough to see where Im walking.

Sorry, havent posted anything new since Im in a rush to finish this by halloween. Finished most of the RIG though... again any feedback or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Started with a cardstock outline, connected acrylic tube using expanding foam, using 8 blue LEDs on each end of the tubing. Sanded down the tubing a bit with 180g to have it catch a bit more of the light. Using a 5 dollar doorknob night light for the stasis meter.
6276642131_e082b2105a.jpg

Painted and weathered after applying one layer of fiberglass resin.
6276642049_c1d79a8823.jpg

Also used the same process for the gauntlet.
6277163634_f619b21fef.jpg

Sorry - huge lack of update and pics. The costume is finished. I assembled and attached everything last night, however in my rush to get it finished - I forgot to take pics.
Ill be testing it out again tonight for an early Halloween party.

Finished boots. Used some basic steel toe rubber boots and attatched some custom cardstock cutouts. Followed up with fiberglass, bondo, and painting.

6288964150_370d85546e.jpg

Tested out the helmet to make sure vision was good and that I didnt have any problems with the wiring while wearing it. It held up for an hour and a half and had no problems.

6288964180_c0d1ab613d.jpg

Ill take pics of the complete finished product tonight and upload them tomorrow. And again, any suggestions to improve on anything is highly appreciated, this is my first attempt at making any armor so Im trying to learn.

This is an amazing build!! I think the helm and armor looks "authentic" with the scuffs and imperfections. (I mean, killing those creepy things on a derelict ship is not going to keep your armor shiny ;) )

where did you find that light tape? do you have an internet supplier or do your local hardware stores carry it in stock?

Nice job!

I have 1 question: How can you see anything with that helmet on?

There is a small space between the EL Tape and the second faceplate from the top. With the light turned on you cant see it. Ill take a closer pic of it a little later tonight since that seems to be a common question.

where did you find that light tape? do you have an internet supplier or do your local hardware stores carry it in stock?

I got it from http://e-luminates.com/osc3/ though their pre-cut strands have this wierd line through the center of them thats pretty noticable if you are up close, but I cant complain - they did the job.

Took the completed costume out for a spin last night. Its pretty much complete - have a few issues with a few stubborn armor pieces that were falling off the back and forearm.

Anyway, Ill do touch-up today and have the finished product ready on halloween.

6293057755_58b54e0b0d.jpg

6293057741_2114e21209.jpg

6293580468_38123b7a18.jpg

Wanted to say thanks to everyone for the input. And the entire forums for its wealth of information.

Considering it was my first attempt at this sort of thing I was very happy with it. Ended up winning both costume contests I attended for Halloween.

Now that I have some experience with the process Ill be moving on to my next project in January and I will post the idea and progress once again.

Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back