Building Samus in 180 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiiraa

So, suicidally, I've decided I'm going to try and do Samus's armor, in paper craft..
(i know its not Halo, but RoninEclipse2G from Pixelgasm sent me this-a-way and everything on here makes sense, kinda)
I know -nothing- about this. I hope I can do it, will you guys support me?

My goal: Walk on stage at ACEN, in full armor, all kick-arse 'n what not; suddenly, armor drops, Zero Suit Samus strolls offstage, awesome-like.
Dualsam.png

Armor: Paper craft
Zero Suit: Painted Zentai Suit

Other things...uhm.. My names Haley, I'm known as Kira... I like to do cosplay costumes from scratch, no patterns invovled. High school student..insomniac... Yeah. :cool

Let's rock and roll, I'm getting up in 5 hours to get my first ream of cardstock, yeah.

Btw, I have no idea who's Samus pep I grabbed but if its yours, or you can tell me who's it is, the credit goes to them for that?

That sounds like a challenge, I say that thinking about those frikkin' boulders on her shoulders (unless it's the standard Pwr Suit, which I doubt). I don't think I've ever seen a Metroid cosplay...
...now that I've Googled it, I have. (Screams in horror.)
No pressure! Good luck. XD

Okay, I got my printer ready (I went to this thrift store-thing, Savers, and bought myself a 25$ all in one to use just for this), new black ink, my paper, an x-acto knife... I think I'm ready lets get this going :D

So my frickin printer wont work without all the ink cartridges so, I guess I'm waiting until the next paycheck :[

Okay, I got my printer ready (I went to this thrift store-thing, Savers, and bought myself a 25$ all in one to use just for this), new black ink, my paper, an x-acto knife... I think I'm ready lets get this going :D

So my frickin printer wont work without all the ink cartridges so, I guess I'm waiting until the next paycheck :[
In the printer settings, you can select your ink cartridge source (Black only or CMYK). Almost all printers have this option now. Check the software manual and save some cash.
Here it is on my Canon MP240:

In the printer settings, you can select your ink cartridge source (Black only or CMYK). Almost all printers have this option now. Check the software manual and save some cash.
Here it is on my Canon MP240:

Well, the major problem is Epson printers will absolutely not do anything until it has cartridges in it...and I don't have any except the black one. :(

I have a question, if any one is following this, when you start to glue together the paper do you do 1 and 1 or start with a random number? (and obvisouly match it with itself)

you've got a lot to learn love. best you can do if you have pep files is build it a section at a time. you know pick a section and find the parts lay them out and go from there. the helmet would most likely be best if you started at the top and worked your way down. rest of armor pick the easiest parts and build of of that. bear to keep in mind it is paper and any parts with out much support if left to sit to long will warp and is a bit of a pain to get the shape back. but mostly the 3d model and 2d part set will help you the most good luck and dont rush

I have a question, if any one is following this, when you start to glue together the paper do you do 1 and 1 or start with a random number? (and obvisouly match it with itself)

I find that starting with a recognizable piece (chin plate, top of head, sternum, etc.) and building out from there in a mostly symmetrical manner makes it easier to keep track of your progress and minimize errors in the build.

Good luck!

I usually start with a larger piece that I know where it goes, and to understand the shape I'm going for. Then I work around that and continue building at it.

Thanks guys, that actually makes a lot of sense. Did my pictures show up? I can't see them.. I used Flickr...

No, your pics are not displaying, which is a shame, because I'm very interested in seeing where this goes (I'm doing a Samus build myself, link is in the signature). If this is the Samus pep file I'm thinking of, though, you may have some bad scaling problems. That's one of the reasons I'm doing mine from scratch. Here is another thread with someone attempting the pep file. It's a dead thread, though, so please don't post in it, it's for reference only. GOOD LUCK!!!

I think they made it so you have to use photobucket for your pics to show up...Anyway, I'm really interested in seeing this build too :D good luck!,
Aaron

No, your pics are not displaying, which is a shame, because I'm very interested in seeing where this goes (I'm doing a Samus build myself, link is in the signature). If this is the Samus pep file I'm thinking of, though, you may have some bad scaling problems. That's one of the reasons I'm doing mine from scratch. Here is another thread with someone attempting the pep file. It's a dead thread, though, so please don't post in it, it's for reference only. GOOD LUCK!!!

Yay, Hi Shado <3 I'm pretty sure your thread is the one i grabbed the file off of, I shouldn't use it? I don't know what else to use, but if someone found me one, it would be much appreciated.. :S Thought I was on my way T_T

Hello, loves.

Five solid hours of work, behold:
DSCF3850.jpg
DSCF3851.jpg
DSCF3849.jpg

The helmet :D So happy.. so tired... <33

In progress shots:
DSCF3846.jpg
DSCF3843.jpg
DSCF3842.jpg

It fits, I may have to trim the flat back part a little, and I didn't attach the collar things, my head moves the paper a little so as hard fiberglass that wouldn't fit. Oh, I still need to do the piping things to her mouth piece but those are smaller and I should do them later..when I've had some sleep...

Things I've learned so far(and re-learned).. The tip of the hot glue gun is hot..even low temp. Glue still hurts even after a couple seconds outta the gun. if the pieces won't go together, try folding them...where you folded them earlier.. it makes life make sense Dx. Lay out pieces ahead of time! I sort of managed but i ended up having to go through the pile of pieces every new piece ><

Seems you had a good start Samuas is one of my favourite female characters, going to check on your progress I wish you the best of luck!

Yup, that's the file! Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that it's a bad file, or that you shouldn't use it or anything, and I DEFINITELY don't want to discourage you! Just that you may have to spend a bit of effort (and maybe try a few parts more than once) in order to get the scale right so it fits you. Getting it smooth will be an even greater challenge (if you're trying for smooth, that is) because of the angles. It's definitely workable, though, just make sure you have plenty of perseverance on hand. You seem to be doing pretty good so far! Keep it up, and good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back