Photo Op Etiquette Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODST Blue

Jr Member
Hello community, this may seem like a silly question but I recently had my first photo ops! Yay! anyway whenever someone wanted to take a picture with me they would obviously stand close to me, and just as a reflex my arm would want to go around them, which I would normally do if I were taking an everyday picture, except that these people are strangers and I didn't want to seem like a creeper especially with the women and children. So my question is: is it acceptable to hug/put your arm around someone that wants a picture with you if you don't know them?

Hey man, I havn't cosplayed before but I assume if some strangers wanted to take pics with you and your in a costume do a pose that represents the character your cosplaying example for a halo character : Point the gun at the camera.
Try to involve your arms in the pose, ( Salute, At ease ) there are many poses out there just be creative.

Unless the person asks for it I usually don't go that far with strangers , I don't think its offensive I would say inappropriate.

I only do it if they put their arm around me. I have also had some people ask for hugs. Other than that I only pose with the gun.

I've been cosplaying for years. Photo ops come with the territory of making a costume and going out in it. Most people outside of conventions just want a picture of your costume to show how awesome it is to their friends, which would mean that you normally do a standing pose. Some people just want you in the picture, or sometimes they want to be in the picture with you. Putting your hand on their shoulder or back has always been acceptable it seems. I've never heard of someone freaking out because of that. Feel free to mix it up sometimes and "act" like your character. Do an action pose, or pretend that they are under arrest if they seem like they'll play along.

Big Don'ts are obvious. If you touch them, do it in an appropriate place (shoulders or upper back, or even a hand shake, fist bump etc). Don't hug them, unless they ask for one. It'll be awkward in armor, so move carefully so you don't whack a kid with your armor. lol

Hope that helps.

Depends if she's hot or not.
Scruffy_Futurama.jpg

I don't think there's any reason to shy away from touching a stranger as long as you keep it "appropriate", especially if they ask to be photographed with you. We're not in grade school anymore people! lol :)

For the ladies, I'm not afraid to put an arm around the waist or shoulder, depending on their height (and/or attractiveness).

For the kids, perhaps a hand on the shoulder with a thumbs-up.

For the guys, I usually strike a "combat" pose, sometimes they want fist-bumps, sometimes they want you to pose pretending that you're shooting/beating them up!

Overall, just pose how you feel comfortable. At least for me, I find that it's difficult to put an arm around someone considering how bulky my armor is, so it's usually easier to just pose and let them do whatever. I've had people pose and put an arm on me or lean on me, and I don't even notice. lol

I had TONS of ops this weekend at the Long Beach Comic Con, and being my first time i decided to take the cool guy poses or do stuff with my blaster, and i think that worked most of the time. There was one where the mom asked if the kid could look like he was beating me up, so i had to lay down a few ground rules about the armor, then carefully laid down and assumed the "getting-the-****-beat-out-of-me" position.

I only do it if they put their arm around me. I have also had some people ask for hugs. Other than that I only pose with the gun.

I would agree with this. I'm sure the more photos people ask to take with you, you will be able to read people quick, and figure out what kind of photo they want. Let them decide what type of picture to take with you, but of course it's what your comfortable with as well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back