Appleseed BABY!!!! by Calladar

Status
Not open for further replies.

calladar

well i have wanted to do Appleseed for a long time and now thanks to dung0beetle he created a 3d model of Briareos' helmet and I was able to unfold it. Challenging unfold.. that was the only thing i had been looking to find was a file for the helmet and the rest will be scratch built.

imagesCAYWBJ9R.jpg

i have had this poster in my garage for years and have always looked at it and wanted to make Briareos and i am also going to make Deunan for my wife.

so my decision was to go old school or to go ex machina and the more i think about it i think i am going to go ex machina because i really like the look. also this is one of my favorite images of the two of them.

imagesCAHF9YMS.jpg

so after unfolding dungobeetle's file i figured i would try to put it together and see how it was.. well the unfold worked well even though there are alot of pieces but the model is complicated. so i started work and so far it is going along. i have the helmet about 75 % put together and then the fun of hardening and shaping in the cold. gotta love it. but here are the pics of the helmet so far.

appleseed.jpg
appleseed2.jpg

test fit.

appleseed3.jpg

the only problem i have found is sizing is a pain due to the pieces that stick off the helmet. got the sizing right on the second try and the only other thing i have found is the helmet is thin from side to side. and if i made it any wider it would be way too tall so going to play with widening it a little when i go to harden it. work this weekend then back at it Monday.

if you are interested in the helmet pdo it can be found in this thead.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/34235-Coming-soon-to-a-printer-near-you...

The pep work looks great!! Nice to see dungbeetle's model coming to life. I'll be watching this one buddy.

-Matt

Call, that is just amazing work. I cannot wait to see what the finished product is going to be like. With you doing it, I'm sure it will be amazing...I can just imagine...

thanks guys. not much of an update but this is the time of year that is a pain for me to be able to do much between work and family.

did discover that the "ears" were a pain to pep. i fought them and fought them and lost with them being warped and not looking like i liked so i decided to make them from scratch. the one on the left is the pep and the right is the scratch one that i made.

2.jpg

i was able to get the helmet started hardening..

1.jpg

what i am planning on doing for the the side eyes / sensors is using pvc pipe and put it on a lathe to get the ridges right. i also plan on molding the thing, as usual, but this thing is probably going to end up being 4 to 5 different molds to be able to mold this right. i am going to play with making the face removable to be able to just pull it off to drink / see better or whatever. see how it works out though.

Sweet looking helm so far. It will a build to watch this winter that's for sure. That said please keep us posted, I'd truly like to see how this comes out.

Nice! I've been a fan of this movie for years and had no idea dungbeatle had modeled it... might have to take a stab at it myself :)

Man, this is coming together. You did a good job on the scratch built ear thingy part. Looking good. I'm with Thorn, definitely watching this build.

thanks guys.. some of you may know and some may not.. toja is making the same helmet and his is coming along great as well.. his ear things came out great with the pep so it is do-able... my pep skills are just not up to par.. lol.. i have trouble with the little pieces..

but i went to Lowe's today and was getting some things for around the house and needed some more resin while i was there and noticed this stuff:

rockhard.jpg

it appears to be a water based filler which is sand-able and mold-able. not to mention a fraction of the cost of bondo. a small 16 oz can cost me $2 and some change and a can the size of a @20 can of bondo was only $7 and some change. figured for the price i could waste 2 bucks to check it out. god knows i have wasted plenty of money with different experiments.

was wondering if anyone has tried this stuff yet and had any luck?

Definitely going to get this stuff. This may be a great alternative for making mother molds. Just read some stuff about it. Can't beat the price either. Do you remember what section its in? Thanks for sharing.

Definitely going to get this stuff. This may be a great alternative for making mother molds. Just read some stuff about it. Can't beat the price either. Do you remember what section its in? Thanks for sharing.

it was in the section where the adhesives (resin), Spackle and bondo was and it was on the top shelf. only thing i see so far is cure rate. but i think my first batch i put a little to much water in it.

***UPDATE***

ok i used some on the helmet in place of bondo. started out well and while reading i found i could mix water base paint in it for coloring. soo i made a batch with a little black paint in it just to try it out. let that set and seemed to be working well. did a little hand sanding and seemed to sand well.. Sooo being as i was getting ready to go to bed i decided to go ahead and put some more over the back of it and let it cure for the night.

DSCN2981.jpg

After sitting for the night it was fully cured and ready to sand. i got down to work. it was sanding well and coming out smooth. once i had taken most of the way down to the level i wanted i noticed a crack. i rubbed my finger across the crack and the whole back of it flaked off and fell to the floor.

DSCN2982.jpg

needless to say it may have some purposes but i don't think it will stick well to a smooth surface and will need some texture to "grab" a hold of. so now that it has been another 45 minutes as i picked it all off i am ready to go back to bondo..

don't get me wrong, i think it will work for several other applications but i did not have any luck in this application.

I've used this putty instead of Ultracal 30 for hard mold's. It works much better then "Plaster of Paris", but it is a casting stone.

@Warpath5150,
You can hack a disposable digital camera and put the camera lens inside the main lens and have the lcd display inside the main lens body. Jim Henson's crew has been doing it this way since Sesame Street began. The actor in the Big Bird costume has a monitor inside the costume with him that displays what the tv camera is filming.
You just need to extend the wires running from the lens (usually a ribbon cable) to the mainboard.

Another way to do it, is to use mirrors aligned to see through the main lens.

Belive it or not... When I test fit the head the main lense is where you will be able to see just with a limited (narrow) view. Be like having on blinders and will definitely have to turn head alot to see what is around you.

The current issue i have been pondering is the making of the mold once this is done.. There are several under cuts as well as areas that are going to be a pain to get to durring the build itself.. What I have been thinking about doing is cutting the jaw bones off and the face out to be able to do all the smoothing and then making several molds and then there will be some assembly required after demolding..

When I get a little farther along I will have to ask some of the mold gurus to look at this and see if I can get some advise.

I've used this putty instead of Ultracal 30 for hard mold's. It works much better then "Plaster of Paris", but it is a casting stone.

Thorn, do you see any issue would possibly using this stuff for the outer jacket part of a mold? I bought some, I may test this out soon. I hate paying so much for plasti paste or shell shock...lol. I know fiberglass is another alternative, but I live in an apartment and I don't want my neighbors complaing or calling the cops on me. I would rather avoid getting a batton to the knee or something...lol

The current issue i have been pondering is the making of the mold once this is done.. There are several under cuts as well as areas that are going to be a pain to get to durring the build itself.. What I have been thinking about doing is cutting the jaw bones off and the face out to be able to do all the smoothing and then making several molds and then there will be some assembly required after demolding..

When I get a little farther along I will have to ask some of the mold gurus to look at this and see if I can get some advise.

I'm not a mold guru, but I would definitely do what you just said. Those jaw parts look like they would lead to problems later on, air bubbles, or even tearing out part of the mold. I personally would make them flat on one side and box mold them. Also, I would two part box mold the ear thingies too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back