The "Official" 405th Database Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
-------
RESPONSES
-------

I'll join in for the Covie Database Unfold team, MS7, if you'll have me. Also in the beginning stages of modelling the UNSC LMG, and will post a couple of teasers here and over at the Halo 4 thread.
Done. You should have received the details about that already.
Welcome to the team.

This is awesome, I love all the files together like that, I think someone had mentioned it before but is there a way to down load all the files as one?
This is why I asked for people to answer the terribly constructed poll found in the last news update. It asks this exact question. At this point, I am assuming you are in favour of this idea, yes?

-------
POLL TALLY
-------
Poll closed.

CJ

Sent an e-mail to the 405th database gmail address about a Mauler pep model I found in Sirnaut's "Weapon and Helmet" thread, and then scaled and unfolded, but I don't know who the original modeler is so I don't know who to give credit to or who to ask for permission to submit it to the database. I don't want to put anything up there if hte person who made it doesn't want it spread around.

Well cj it may help with people who cannot get on the Internet so often( e.g me )
But its YOUR database so you can make it a zip if you like :)

So my decision is what you think is right

-------
RESPONSES
-------

Sent an e-mail to the 405th database gmail address about a Mauler pep model I found in Sirnaut's "Weapon and Helmet" thread, and then scaled and unfolded - but I don't know who the original modeller is so I don't know who to give credit to or who to ask for permission to submit it to the database. I don't want to put anything up there if the person who made it doesn't want it spread around.
>>ISSUE ADDRESSED
>>REPLY ISSUED.

Well CJ, it may help with people who cannot get on the Internet so often( e.g me )
But it's YOUR database, so you can make it a zip if you like :)

So my decision is what you think is right
It's not about what I think - if it was, I wouldn't do it because it's just more work for me.
That's why I'm asking the community for what they think - because it's about what's best for them.
Currently, the Database is very much a precision instrument - and relies on users knowing what they are looking for. Collating it into a .zip takes this away. (As far as I see it, it does.) But, I have to be a neutral, unbiased opinion in this matter, which is why I haven't voted.

I already included your vote (yes) when you PM'd me. Sorry, you can't vote twice, or vote a non-specific.

You will find that most of those files are already included on the Database.
They are listed under "Database/Halo 1/Spartan/HD" simply because CE:A is still CE, and there are not sufficient files to cater for a separate CE:A Database.

-------
POLL TALLY
-------
Poll closed.

-------
CJ

Since you instructed me to reply, I am doing so. My answer is no. No, I do not think the file should be compiled into a .zip file. While it would make all of the information more accessible, it would have to be updated every time a new item is added to the database.

I believe that the database should be kept as is, but with one small addition...

I believe that a compilation index should be added. A document, updated when a new item is added, that is on the front of the Database page. This file will include a picture of the item added (3D picture from the pep program), the game/character of the item, name of the creator, name of the unfolder, the page format, the number of pages, size of the file, and vitam information (foam, sliced & thickness, etc.).

That will make it a little easier to find what is being searched for and to make sure that the proper people get the proper credit. But, that's just my suggestion.

I think a graphical layer would be nice. It would be a bit of work when adding new ones, but I think the biggest issue for finding things is not knowing what you're downloading until you get it. People are gravitated to that awful wikia, and it might be because it is easier to navigate. But this would require one of us being adept at web design and having good webspace to handle the load.

As for the zip, I think periodically zipping it is enough. There is not THAT much new content to the DB's, so if it were updated every couple of months it would still be recent enough.

Just my two cents, I am joining this conversation late!

I think a graphical layer would be nice. It would be a bit of work when adding new ones, but I think the biggest issue for finding things is not knowing what you're downloading until you get it. People are gravitated to that awful wikia, and it might be because it is easier to navigate. But this would require one of us being adept at web design and having good webspace to handle the load.
Not at all. It would be a document file. A .pdf or similar file format. Document editing is easier and it can be grouped just as it is in the Database.

postphm.png

-------
POLL
-------
Poll is closed. (In case you can't figure that from the following discussion.) We have some serious ideas to discuss for the future of the Database.

-------
RESPONSES
-------
Notes on documentation and GUI will be addressed at the end of the post.

Since you instructed me to reply, I am doing so. My answer is no. No, I do not think the file should be compiled into a .zip file. While it would make all of the information more accessible, it would have to be updated every time a new item is added to the database.

I believe that the database should be kept as is, but with one small addition...

I believe that a compilation index should be added. A document, updated when a new item is added, that is on the front of the Database page. This file will include a picture of the item added (3D picture from the pep program), the game/character of the item, name of the creator, name of the unfolder, the page format, the number of pages, size of the file, and vitam information (foam, sliced & thickness, etc.).

That will make it a little easier to find what is being searched for and to make sure that the proper people get the proper credit. But, that's just my suggestion.
Since a post like this requires a reply, I will. I'm pretty sure a vote like yours almost classifies as two. Why? You have sound logic, and a good explanation.
I'll discuss the document idea after this.

As for the zip, I think periodically zipping it is enough. There is not THAT much new content to the DB's, so if it were updated every couple of months it would still be recent enough.

Just my two cents, I am joining this conversation late!
Just a little late, but not much.

Seriously, I could make the .zip file a "once a year" update. That way we can simply have a [*2012* Edition] of the Database, compiled at the end of each year. Or we could opt for a version with all the previous files compiled into a [*2013* Edition] released at the beginning of the year.

Not at all. It would be a document file. A .pdf or similar file format. Document editing is easier and it can be grouped just as it is in the Database.

postphm.png
As it currently stands, there are over 750 files to go through and document. Personally, I don't really want to do that all on my lonesome. Then I would be crazy, and no-one would run the Database.

-------
ON FILE DOCUMENTATION AND GUI'S
-------
Long have I been considering this idea, but I don't have the means or knowledge to implement it.

One of the first rational steps, I think, would be file tags - eg. #reach, #odst, #shoulder
This means that by using a single tag, such as #odst, brings up all the other files tagged as such. It also means that users can search for a specific type of file, or combine search tags to refine their search.

The next step, and I completely agree with Jason on this, is images. People want to know what they are downloading, before they do so. While file information is also important, it is somewhat secondary, and often included within the file - but not always.

Which leads into my next thought. We need to find a way to make all files use the same internal formatting. Whether this is just a textbox inside the file, or specific naming conventions - files need to be identifiable that they have come from the Database, and also present all the critical information about its creation and usage.

A compilation/index of all files. It's a lot of work, and probably needs to happen soon - preferably before the influx of H4 files after launch.

GUI/Web design. You have no idea how badly I want this. This would literally take the Database to a whole new level. Unfortunately, I don't have the budget for this, nor the time to learn the skills. Ideally, we would use Adobe Flash, or even get an executable running scaleform, and/or it would be on its own server. (ie. not 4shared)
To do this requires an actual database of all the files (not just a folder hierarchy), that can be filtered and search effectively - as well as being user friendly enough for the person(s) that have to maintain it.
Sure, I can design an interface, maybe even set it up ready for Flash - but that's as far as I can get on my own.

@Jason/Katsu - perhaps we can take this discussion further in a gDoc, rather than on the boards. Interested?

CJ

@Jason/Katsu - perhaps we can take this discussion further in a gDoc, rather than on the boards. Interested?
Why do I feel that I just volunteered for something?

Sounds good to me. I'll PM you my email address... btw, I have never used gDoc before, but I guess learning new things is what I'm here for...

AXIOS!!!

I'd almost like to see us use AIM, not sure how old you guys are, but I have one! Otherwise google docs is okay.

Also, I have a lot of programming skills, and can put together something, but funding would be an issue. Ideally, I'd want a VPN or something and we could just dump a wikia on there.

its their any word about the halo 4 forerunner weapons yet, becasue the last game informer had the weapons and now i want them.

Ermmm.. guys...

WHY AM I THE ONLY IDIOT NOT ABLE TO DOWNLOAD ANYTHING FROM THIS PEP DATABASE??? WTF?!?!
Do all of you guys have a Premium account? I'm not allowed to download anything from that database... WHYYYY?!!? FULL HD ODST!!! FULL HD CHIEF....

NOOOOOOOoooooo---....

You don't need a premium account, TK. As long as you have any acount on 4shared it should work. But if your computer has a pop-up blocker, that might cause some issues. After clicking on the file in the database it will bring up a new page with a blue button to download the file. After that there will be a page with options for premium or free download (the free download button will look greyed out like an unusable option, but clicking on it should start a 20 second countdown and will then start teh download). I tend to have a pop-up blocker notice at the top fo the window (those annoying "info" bars) come up at this point, and then it goes to the "thanks for downloading the file" page and I have to click the link where it says "if your download did not start automatically, click here."

Where do you first run into an issue when you try to download a file? Maybe we can pinpoint the problem.

You don't need a premium account, TK. As long as you have any acount on 4shared it should work. But if your computer has a pop-up blocker, that might cause some issues. After clicking on the file in the database it will bring up a new page with a blue button to download the file. After that there will be a page with options for premium or free download (the free download button will look greyed out like an unusable option, but clicking on it should start a 20 second countdown and will then start teh download). I tend to have a pop-up blocker notice at the top fo the window (those annoying "info" bars) come up at this point, and then it goes to the "thanks for downloading the file" page and I have to click the link where it says "if your download did not start automatically, click here."

Where do you first run into an issue when you try to download a file? Maybe we can pinpoint the problem.

Yeah I hate the 20 sec wait but....yeah

Some files you need to be registered on 4shared, I know I am.
Hope you can get your files soon...

That's the thing. I've got a account. A free one. I've downloaded countless other .PDO's and it is as you say with the 20" wait. It worked for all the other (individual) files. But this one just keeps asking me for a premium account.

I'm mainly interested in the newest HD ODST armour pep files. If anyone has them an would want to share them I'd be immensely gratefull!

-------
TROUBLESHOOTING
-------
*Why can't I DL anything? Do I need premium?!*

*No, you don't need premium - just patience*

*Yup, patience. You still need to be registered though.*

*It usually works, but it's being FUBAR about needing premium.*

I'm mainly interested in the newest HD ODST armour pep files. If anyone has them an would want to share them I'd be immensely gratefull!
*quotes paraphrased slightly...*

From a quick experiment, it is perhaps obvious you are clicking the "Download as .zip" button - correct?
Unfortunately, this is a premium feature, and all the normal people who don't want to pay for it can't access that feature.

The Database team does have plans for the future, and it is likely that we have already devised a solution. However, at this point I will not confirm, nor will I deny that we are working on something in this area.

Until that time, you will need to DL files individually - however slow and painstaking that might be.

CJ

hey guy's i've still not heard anything about those weapons yet? i mean are you holding out until after nov. 6 or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back