rainbow dash's Mark VI Armor Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainbow dash

Hello everyone!

This is not really my first post, I've been reading the 405th forum since early summer, I really read a lot before I got started, because I din't want to do anything again because I didn't inform myself in advance, like correct scaling and measurement and pepakura basics. And I already got some stuff done during summer and gained some experience with resin, fiberglassing etc.

At the moment it's too cold to work outside so I can't do any resin-related stuff until it gets warmer again. So I'll probably spend the whole winter/spring pepping my armor parts, and weapons of course ;)

I hope I can finish the amor just in time before the Halo 4 launch, that should be possible.

Enough with the introduction, let's see what I got so far. Clearly I skipped the boring cutting and pepping stuff, this isn't a tutorial, nobody want's to see that either :p

As you can see, all of the armor parts are HD pep-files so I'm planning to make a full HD Mark VI armor.
The file I used for the helmet was from ROBOGENESIS Unfolded_by_MrOreo123. Came out quite well, nevertheless I will do the FLYINGSQUIRL model too.

Current Status:
progress.png

OsMgRl.jpg

c44pPl.jpg

ofSZtl.jpg

uQ59ll.jpg

g3HiJl.jpg

wCd69l.jpg

0M8h3l.jpg

fjafGl.jpg

Cgtm7l.jpg

LjOwbl.jpg

xi3gol.jpg

I'm a little bit concerned about the thigh size, is it too big? I'm afraid I will not be able to bend or sit down. The height with this one is 405mm, but I could make it smaller and would still fit in.
The boots came out a little big, but the proportion beetween shin and boot looks good.

I'm currently working on cutting and pepping the chest and the assault rifle. I will keep you updated as soon as I got stuff done.

Thanks for having a look at my project, and happy crafting everybody! :D

awesome progress!!
Thank you! And thanks for looking.

This is just a minor update, still haven't finished the torso. I was a bit lazy with everything over the holidays, not just the armor-building.
It turned out that I scaled the boots wrong, I have to do them again at least 20% smaller. Although it doesn't look that big, and I don't really want to do connection part between the two boot-pieces, because I don't know yet what material i should use. And as we all know MC has big boots too. :D
I just wanna show you guys the undersuit i got today. Just looks awesome! :D

[/URL]IU3NSl.jpg

Now I want to thank some guys here on the 405th. First of all, Liq, i saw his video on youtube and i was just stunned by how well his armor came out, it looked so 100% accurate, so awesome! I was really impressed by that masterpiece! After watching his video I decided to make my own armor and I discovered the 405th forum.

Next one is Macattack64 who is still working on his armor, he did a great job too so far, can't wait to see this armor finished. But the most important thing about his built is that he put on the sizes he used for his pieces. He's almost the same size as I am. 5'10" 178cm. This really was a great help for the scaling (I'm sure not just for me) because I already had some sizes that would probably work for me too. :)

Last but not least I wanna say thanks to harican89 and ventrue for answering a lot of my questions and their advises.

Pepping is almost done. Can't wait for june to end to start working outside again and finish the suite as fast as possible :)
IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_3690.JPG

IMG_3691.JPG

IMG_3703.JPG

IMG_3711.JPG

Alter Schwede, sauberes pepping! Respekt!

Serious props man, your pepping is very clean!

Thanks, the forearms came out really really clean. :D never seen a pep-work that clean. I think it's because i use superglue most of the time rather than hotglue.
I found out recently that it's much easier to fold the flaps if you trace the cutting lines with the x-acto knife (before I did this with an ordinary pencil) Luckily i found out before doing the chest-piece! :)
I made the thighs with a size of 405mm in height, but I'm afraid that's (way) to big. I've seen other builds of people that are the same size as me (5"11' or 179cm) and they made the thighs with 360mm or even 350mm in height, so I might have to make them again. I think if I make them smaller it would be easier to sit or bend down.

Thanks, the forearms came out really really clean. :D never seen a pep-work that clean. I think it's because i use superglue most of the time rather than hotglue.
I found out recently that it's much easier to fold the flaps if you trace the cutting lines with the x-acto knife (before I did this with an ordinary pencil) Luckily i found out before doing the chest-piece! :)
I made the thighs with a size of 405mm in height, but I'm afraid that's (way) to big. I've seen other builds of people that are the same size as me (5"11' or 179cm) and they made the thighs with 360mm or even 350mm in height, so I might have to make them again. I think if I make them smaller it would be easier to sit or bend down.

Yeah absolutely, using the x-acto knife saves time and nerves ;) interesting how many different glues are in use around the german speaking community. I personally use one from Pritt, it comes in tubes and has the consistency of wood glue. It allows you to alter things a short time after applying but will harden pretty fast.

:D i planned on doing a MkVI build too before i switched over to Recon and i had the exact same problem with my thighs - they are waaaaay too big. They were more than 40 or even 41 long. I need to rescale them for Recon down to 39,6cm or even smaller as i am 1,80m tall.

Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to seeing more progress of yours.

Woohoo, finally a Mark VI just around the corner! Like your progress so far. Very clean pepping and the helmet also turned out really superb so far. I'll subscribe to this one!

Schöne Grüße aus Amstetten!

Redrawing the cutting lines with the x-acto knife makes the folding and pepping so much easer an much more precise. I'm using a superglue from Loctite, the best glue in my opinion. very strong and precise!

IMG_0008.JPG

Yeah, as said, i used Macattack64's sizes for reference

Sizing-1.jpg

I'm a little bit taller than him, even so he made his thighs with a height of 405, so did I. Somehow it seems to fit him well, nevertheless it could be too big for the both of us.
I already scaled down the thighs to 380mm Height.
The helmet was the second piece I did, not very complicated because of a smooth and easy file from MrOreo. Luckily i got the size just right at the first time.

@ViZiONEER Danke, immer schön wenn man auf andere Österreich hier trifft. ;)

I did the Codpiece for the second time, now fits perfect!
IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

Yeah, as said, i used Macattack64's sizes for reference

Sizing-1.jpg

I'd just like to point out that I actually used a different height for my thighs. Other than that most of the sizes are the same. You'll have to tweak them a little bit but they should work! I also grew into my suit a little bit!

It also makes me feel good to know that this has helped people! :D

That explains everything! Yeah dude, your pic was a great help for a first reference in scaling and to begin with, I'm sure it helped a lot of people, not just for me!

When I finish the pepping stage with all part's I'll release a size reference pic with the sizes I used for my armor.

And here is a very good example of how to NOT do it! Guess it wasn't the best idea to start working at 7 p.m. and then use way too much resin. This is some very VERY bad warping!

warped1.JPG

warped2.JPG

PS: can you guess the parts? :D

Wow, yeah, that's some warping. I assume that you will be rebuilding these. That being said, I've developed a new support structure for these thighs if you would like them. I have not posted a link to them yet as no one has requested them. There are a few pics on post 121 of my Mk VI build if you want to take a look. They were very helpful in keeping my thighs in shape while I resined them.

Wow, yeah, that's some warping. I assume that you will be rebuilding these. That being said, I've developed a new support structure for these thighs if you would like them. I have not posted a link to them yet as no one has requested them. There are a few pics on page 13 of my Mk VI build if you want to take a look. They were very helpful in keeping my thighs in shape while I resined them.

I would have requested it if I didn't do my thighs already! Mine actually warped around the base of the thigh a little bit. Not very much. I would say to resin those thighs and put them on a table standing up. Another thing that will help is to resin it in sections. Basically do a spot and let it cure for a bit and then do another spot.

Wow, yeah, that's some warping. I assume that you will be rebuilding these. That being said, I've developed a new support structure for these thighs if you would like them. I have not posted a link to them yet as no one has requested them. There are a few pics on post 121 of my Mk VI build if you want to take a look. They were very helpful in keeping my thighs in shape while I resined them.
You're assuming right. I knew I was going to rebuild them before I started to work on these thighs, because they were too large, so the warping wasn't that much of a pain. The new smaller thighs are already cutted out, but now I'm curious about your new support struts!

As no one has requested it yet, I would like to! Would you be so kind as to upload it somewhere? :) Even though I'll be very careful with the amount of resin now, I'm a little scared it could warp again.

And Macattack, thanks for your advise, last summer I had no problem with warping, this time I just used too much resin, I don't know why, stupid me! ^^

As no one has requested it yet, I would like to! Would you be so kind as to upload it somewhere? :) Even though I'll be very careful with the amount of resin now, I'm a little scared it could warp again.

I'll upload the support tonight and send you a link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back