Halo 3 Recon Helmet (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I'm currently building a Halo 3 Recon Helmet. Now I finished pepping it. But it turns out its way too small.

Actual Helmet starts on Page 2

All the pics so far:

Pepped Helmet compared to first try. BIG Improvement!
017-1.jpg

013.jpg

Helmet Resined and Fiberglassed along side my friend's Mark V. Helmet
IMG_9161.jpg

Helmet after being Rondo'd
IMG_9167.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You would need to measure your own head. Looks like you need to increase the depth of the recon helmet. BTW what paper are you using? The recon looks pretty warped.

You would need to measure your own head. Looks like you need to increase the depth of the recon helmet. BTW what paper are you using? The recon looks pretty warped.

When I was printing it out I looked at the pre-set measurements. And the height was only 2 mm's off from Mark V., so I didn't think it would be a big difference. And I use 110 lb. cardstock. But the pieces were so small, It was really hard to glue together.

My head is 10 and a half inches tall if I remember correctly.. So basically 267 mm. Can you size one for me please, or tell me the measurements please? Thanks

Can you size one for me please, or tell me the measurements please? Thanks

No, we can't. That's the thing about scaling: it's not something that others can do for you. It has to be done by yourself since you have to measure your own body.

You already appear to know your head dimensions. And you have a completed Recon helmet. In this case, use the too-small Recon helmet as a reference for the next one. Try to figure out approximately how much larger it needs to be to fit you based on how small the first one is.

No, we can't. That's the thing about scaling: it's not something that others can do for you. It has to be done by yourself since you have to measure your own body.

You already appear to know your head dimensions. And you have a completed Recon helmet. In this case, use the too-small Recon helmet as a reference for the next one. Try to figure out approximately how much larger it needs to be to fit you based on how small the first one is.

I know my head dimmensions.. Is it because I was 2 mm off from my real height?

I can tell you from experiance as I have built the same model your building, That helmet tends to come out small for some reason if you scale it to around height of 280mm you should be good, but double check the height, width and debt measurements with the new scale size so that it fits your head correctly

I can tell you from experiance as I have built the same model your building, That helmet tends to come out small for some reason if you scale it to around height of 280mm you should be good, but double check the height, width and debt measurements with the new scale size so that it fits your head correctly

Well my head scale is 267, whats yours?

It doesn't matter what is ours? The helmet looks small just increase the size proportionally. Still can't figure out. Look at the mirror with the helmet side by side. Take a guess how much you need to increase. Put the size in Pepakura Designer. You all set.

I really can't give you my head scale, because it varies from model to model, if I were to go by my head size with 2" of padding my average scale would be Height 280mm, but its never the same with every helmet, for instance my Hayabusa helmet is scaled at 364mm, my Reach EOD is scaled at 310mm, Reach MKV scaled at 267mm the ODST I just completed 295mm, you get the picture they are all diffrent, When I build a helmet I put in the standard height of 285mm, then I check the width and the depth measurements on the model if if it looks to big than I scale it down from there and recheck the measurments and I do vice versa if its to small I hate building helmets more than one time so I do my best to make sure I have my scaling pretty much figured out and usually I am right on the first time, but every once in a while no matter how much measuring I do it comes out to big or to small so I look at the wrong sized one I just built and figure how much i need to add or take away from it, biggest thing is keep checking Height and width on the model as you increase the height, I will post a link to the measuring calculator I use to help me when doing the scaling, just enter the millimeters in the box and it will give you the Inces or you can put in inches and get the size in MM's trust me this will speed measuring the helmet sizes

Use this to get your measurements
http://mdmetric.com/tech/cvtcht.htm

If you're measuring up at 267, I'd do 290, just to accommodate padding and what-not. I scaled mine to 300, and it was pretty damned big. My head measures 53.5 cm circumference (aka extra small motorcycle helmet, yeah I gotta pinhead). You just need to take your own measurements and add an inch or 2 for padding and fiberglass. Remember, everyones measurements are different. You just need to find the one that suits you best.

~Rex

Hey everyone, I know I've neglected this thread extremely.. But now im back and with some updates!

I finally pepped my new helmet and here are some pics:

Front view
012-1.jpg

Side View:
013.jpg

Back View:
014.jpg

And a Comparison with the original, BIG DIFFERENCE:
017-1.jpg

Now I think i did a good job... but do you guys think the helmet looks a little wide?
If so, is there any way of fixing it before I start resining?

And also, I was supposed to cut the visor today, but couldn't cause my buddy who was going to do it got sick.
Oh well, more time to bondo and sand.

Can't tell you if its wide or not because your not wearing it to get a idea how it fits your head, you may want to get some of those warps out before you resin it or your going to be spending alot of time with bondo work and it may still end up being warp

Can't tell you if its wide or not because your not wearing it to get a idea how it fits your head, you may want to get some of those warps out before you resin it or your going to be spending alot of time with bondo work and it may still end up being warp

Ok going to upload a picture of it on now..
And how do I push them out? Their like little dents from when I glued the helmet together..

Picture:
024-2.jpg

I think the width is just because the lower part of the helmet is wider to allow your head to actually go in.

As for the dents, unless you hotglued it and don't mind redoing a lot of it, you might be better off fixing it in the bondo stage. That's my opinion at least, regluing parts can be a pain but someone else might have another solution than bondo.

I think the width is just because the lower part of the helmet is wider to allow your head to actually go in.

As for the dents, unless you hotglued it and don't mind redoing a lot of it, you might be better off fixing it in the bondo stage. That's my opinion at least, regluing parts can be a pain but someone else might have another solution than bondo.

Ok.. It just looks a little off to me.. And I'll just bondo it later

I wouldn't just bondo without fixing the shape first. I use bambo skewers to hold the shape. You can get them at any grocery store. hot glue them in place untill you have the symetry right. It takes 2 seconds, or you can bondo for days and still not get the symetry right.

Like this:

0a53772c.jpg

This isn't a helmet, but the same concept.

If not, you will run into issues later.

Good luck!

Tony

I wouldn't just bondo without fixing the shape first. I use bambo skewers to hold the shape. You can get them at any grocery store. hot glue them in place untill you have the symetry right. It takes 2 seconds, or you can bondo for days and still not get the symetry right.

Okay thanks. And do you think the helmet is two wide?

First, I think the scale looks pretty good on you, so thats a plus. Second, I personally would repep to avoid the body work. However, if you choose not to, its doable to get this helmet completed. I'm pretty sure you will need to do plenty of bondo work to get the shape right. Definitely use struts to get the shape symetrical first. THen harden it. After that (before you bondo) try to knock the warps down with a sander. then bondo to smooth. Remember thin coats and small sections first. Good luck.;)

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back