Ironman Foam Builds (info added on page 1 for foam builds) Update on helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drack

Ironman Foam Builds (info added on page 1 for foam builds)

My MK VI so far.

IMG_1493.jpg

My MK V so far.

IMG_0363.jpg

Things needed to make foam armour.
Click blue text for links.

The HolyGrail of costume building.

Pepakura. You need to download both the viewer and designer.

Tutorial: Simple Armor Scaling

Some tutorials I made on techniques I use. I hope to get some more done as not everything is covered in them. There are many others if you look around.

Dracks Foam Technique Tutorial Part 1

Dracks Foam Technique Tutorial Part 2

Nice set of techniques by JFcustom Here

A great tutorial on using the pep files for foam builds. XRobots - How to modify pepakura templates for foam

For the lighting in the suit.
Electronics Tutorial by Xrobots.

List of materials, links are UK based. I am sure you can find all these things in other countries but I thought it would be good to throw this info in the thread as a guide on what you need to make a suit of your own.

1. Foam Mats 10-12mm thick. I got a better deal than this. They seem to have gone up in price, Camping Mats 5-6mm thick & Craft Foam 1-2mm thick

2. Blades. No.11s. You can get the handles here too. Also you can get cheaper blades on ebay but they snap easy and blunt easy. Swann Morton are the best I have found so far so sticking with them.

3. Glue gun I use & glue sticks.

4. Plastidip. Used for the first undercoat to seal the foam and give it that smooth base ready for part 5.

5. Primer car spray and then the spray/paint you want for your finished paint scheme. Finally some lacquer to protect your piece and make it nice and shiny.

6. Webbing & Buckles for strapping.

7. There are many more materials I use/used but as you build your armour you will work out the bits needed for those extra touchs.

8. Moulding Optional but thought an armour moulding link might help people out wanting to have a go

Well guys I finally started the foam Ironman MK 5 suit. I was ill at home today and wanted to make something downstairs so I could watch movies with the wife. Got loads of scraps left from my Terminator build so here is what I have come up with so far.

0006_sut_suitcase_suit_0905-1.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210-1.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg
IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
oh..wow. I have been following your Terminator build. And now this??? Good sir you impress me more and more. You're skill at manipulating foam and creating perfect shape and depth of the parts is almost second to none. And how fast you build these things is stunning. I cannot wait to see what else you can do. Amazing...just amazing.

-Loki

haha, you actually started this, wel sir i wish you good luck because that looks one very hard to make suit.
but it's already starting to look good

I love the foam work, this gif
test.gif
a page right out of Argentina, has a tutorial if you are interested, I am command by the link, but this in Spanish

Thank you for the comments guys :) Thank you for the Gif Toja its a sweet piece of mechanics.

Today I started on my helmet so here is my progress (done from pepakura files not my own design).

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg
IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg
IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

Woah drack! You freaking tear this up! I can't believe how much progress you put out in such a short amount of time!

-Loki

Thank you man. I think I am getting through this build so quickly and doing so well is because it's the build I always really wanted to do. Its complicated enough to make it challenging and I get full freedom as no Pepakure work. Ok I am using Pepakura for the helmet but I am going to be making some adjustments to it to jazz it up a bit.

Thank you man. I think I am getting through this build so quickly and doing so well is because it's the build I always really wanted to do. Its complicated enough to make it challenging and I get full freedom as no Pepakure work. Ok I am using Pepakura for the helmet but I am going to be making some adjustments to it to jazz it up a bit.
make an laser attachement to the side of the head or something :p

Thank you man. I will finish my terminator build honest! Just loving this soooo much. Wish my under suit would hurry up in the post so I can start attatching it. Although since the move cannot find my me sized manakin anywhere!!! Got my wife to wrap me in Plastic wrap, then tape me up, cut me out and bingo, manakin of me.

Thank you :)

Here are some details I came up with this morning, although by the time most of you guys in the US see this I will have the rest finished too (fingers crossed). Just been out and bought a fine tipped soldering iron for my finer details. Will finish the rest if the helmet before I start to practice burning into the helmet or armour pieces.

Man am I loving doing this build!!!! Wish I hadn't been so impressed by the shiny swoosh helmet on THIS SUIT < Click Me. Would be finished on this one by now, ah well live and learn.

IMG_0244.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back