I am ODST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katsu

I love the ODST armor, and it's so awesome to see so many here! That works doubly well because it means there are so many variants of the pepakura files. I had a lot of trouble settling on one, but being a purist fan, I wanted the one from the ODST game, and found Kirrou's set to work best for my needs. This is my third pepakura for the helmet (paper prototype for sizing, and one failed cardstock model) The chest plate has two layers of fiberglass down now, and I started the helmet but the weather here in SF got crummy, so they've been sitting in my garage unfinished.

katsuodst01.jpg

With the weather so bad, I've been looking at the different files and concepts for the guns, for now. They seem daunting, and I haven't settled on how I'll be doing one but I do want the SMG's! But it's all so exciting and fun, glad to be here, and I hope to make some awesome stuf.

Looks very good! I know how you feel with bad weather. I started to use foam, so I don't need good weather to work on mine.

Nice job, your peps look nice and straight, that will make the bondo process so much easier, Keep up the great job Hope the weather clears up for you so you can make some progress

Your pep looks great! Glad to see more ODSTs, too. The bad weather sucks, but that just means you can work on the other pep.I have to say, kirrou's gauntlets are the most game accurate, but there a difficult pep, so I would suggest working on the easier models first. Can't wait to see more, good luck!

Well, after a string of good weather here in SF, I've gotten two good layers of fiberglass on the inside of the helmet. The lip of the back side of the helmet collapsed a bit in resin stage, this is as good as I could force it with fiberglass; I'll just have to finish fixing it in bondo.

Going to try and bondo tomorrow weather permitting.

It may not look like much, but it was just resin'd before!

katsuodst02.jpg

katsuodst03.jpg

Your helmet looks awesome man, its just how mine looked at that stage.

It you have a heat gun, you can heat warped spots that already have resin, or resin and fiberglass on them and bend them back into shape so that you have less bondo work. I don't think that method works after bondo, though.

Good work, keep it up!

Thanks for the info, I didn't know about heating fiberglass resin. Sadly I don't have a heatgun, so I may have no choice, unless I can get a hairdryer hot enough, which is unlikely.

Just looking at the photos you have up, it doesn't appear that the collapsed lip has warped the helmet. If that's actually that case, bondo should make it look all nice and nifty.

Awesome progress so far, Katsu. Keep up the great work. I'd love to see another ODST finished. ^_^

Rex out.

Really nice work on the fiberglassing! How did you manage to lay it out so smoothly? You can barely see where one glass-piece ends and another begins!

Great work!!

Really nice work on the fiberglassing! How did you manage to lay it out so smoothly? You can barely see where one glass-piece ends and another begins!

Great work!!

Thanks! I use fiberglass cloth, instead of mat. It handles a lot easier and is a lot cleaner to work with, though I hear it doesn't lay down on corners as well as mat so I just cut smaller pieces which is fine by me. At TAP plastics, my local plastics store, the cloth is also about the same price or cheaper than mat. The camera didn't pick it up, but it did get a bit messy around those temple indentations because of the dozens of little parts.

I started bondo today, my least favorite step by a long shot. I am a late riser so I only had time to do the top and some of the sides.

Primer coated:
katsuodst04.jpg

First bondo-ing (pre sanding):
katsuodst05.jpg

And my makeshift sander mouse made from my portable toolbox:
katsusander.jpg

Btw, I found pepakura after I had finished my helmet. Too bad. :( Meybe Ill make a new one with pepakura sometime.

Okay, I think I've finished the Bondo stage. This is my first time working with bondo or fiberglass, so there was a lot of learning, and a lot of redos! Tomorrow I'm heading to the SF TechShop and dremeling out the recessed details, grinding some of the hard to reach spots, and then doing some spot putty in the pitted areas before wet sanding.

katsuodst06.jpg

katsuodst07.jpg

katsuodst08.jpg

Looks really nice. I didn't wet sand my pieces, save some time do your spot putty, sand all your helmet with a 220 dry grit and go on with the paint. Look at my build and tell me what you think of it.

Your helmet looks amazing man! Be careful with spot putty, it does tend to chip off if it gets hit too much, or at least it did in my case. I can wait to see this finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back