Cnc machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertFare

i wanna' know if any members have a cnc milling machine..and if so, how HD of a model can you put into it? and if so xD could i ask for your assistance?

i have one, you can go as high as you want for quality, if you don't mind waiting for hours and hours

you can ask me anytime :p

Something I've learned is that you can do a subsurf on the 3D model. Although it does'nt look too good if the model is supposed to have tight corners, it will make the model into a higher poly mesh. Most CNC work is done with STL files, which you can import the file into a program called Netfabb Studio. After you import the file, you can check the scale, fix holes, etc. with the program.

Something I've learned is that you can do a subsurf on the 3D model. Although it does'nt look too good if the model is supposed to have tight corners, it will make the model into a higher poly mesh. Most CNC work is done with STL files, which you can import the file into a program called Netfabb Studio. After you import the file, you can check the scale, fix holes, etc. with the program.

One does not simply just subdivision a 3d model. Your model can't have tri's what so ever, and you can choose the hardness of the vert, edge or poly. You could also work with smoothing groups.

Most local print shops seem to have, or know someone close by that has access to a cnc mill. You may want to ask around your town first that way you can save on shipping costs, customs, and such :) I was surprised that the Mom & Pop sign shop I buy materials from actually had a huge CNC in the back. They were willing to make anything I needed from them, but unfortunately the guy that they hired to operate the machine was "still learning" and I didn't want to be locked into paying hourly for something that shouldn't take more than a day or two to make.

If you do find one that can help you just have a set of questions for them like what kinds of file types do they prefer with their software, hourly rates, and try to tactfully ask to see work that they have done just to make sure it's within their scope. I've seen some charge a flat quote for a job (typically the very experienced that know they can deliver) and others that charge hourly - I've seen $20/hr up to $60/hr so be prepared to REALLY want something made that you can't build on your own :p

You may also be able to save some money if you have the model ready to go for the type of machine you want it cut from. So if you are having it milled on a 3 axis, make adjustments to the model accordingly and make the cleanup/prep process as easy as possible for whoever is milling it for you. Having a breakdown sheet printed off with screenshots/renders of the model with dimensions is also helpful.

A quick note on the file types - a lot of the "sign" shops may not have the software needed to properly handle hi-res 3D models since a lot of these types of services cater to making plaques, headstones, and uh signs :) So if they look at you like you're crazy or are hesitant about what you want don't be afraid to look elsewhere and save everyone time.

-Hugh

Well I know a subsurf is a little more complicated than that, I think with Meshlab it will do a Tri to Quad conversion for the user. There's also a program out there, I can't remember the name of it though, but it will do the G-Code for you for Milling. It's not that complicated if I remember right, but I just can't remember the name of it.
I'm just now learning 3D modelling to help brother with his pep creations, I hardly understand any of it but it is a learning experience. The only thing I don't quite know how to do is slicing a 3D Model with undercuts for 3 axis CNC Milling. With 4 axis and higher I don't think they have that much of a problem doing undercuts, but 3 axis machines can't do something like a helmet without having the model cut up.

Hm...I wonder where the CNC machines are around where I live I have always wanted to check into seeing how much they would cost for me to have something made from them...I know practically nothing about them unfortunately.

the sign shop I work at just got a cnc router. I can probably get access on my own time to if your interested? the owner's pretty nice

Aye guys. May not be the right area but while were talking cnc machines, does anyone know of any online tuts for making the files ready for cnc n the actual cnc process?

Don't like bumping old threads but thought I should chime in. I work with a 6-axis CNC machine daily and I did look for and request for a HD 3D CAD model a long time ago, but never was able to get one. I have the materials to make masters, molds, and the actual part (the helmet) from fiberglass using wet layout or VARTM.

I'm only an operator and tech, my boss does the CAD work and programming. And we're swamped right now with work, but I'm always keeping my eye out for Catia models of The Chief.

As builder/owner/operator of a CNC, If you want something CNC'd it really should to be a solid or at least a watertight mesh. Some programs will have issues if it's not, but some will work depending on how the model is positioned. Also think about overhangs. If your not using a 6 axis ($$$$$) then there will be places that to tool can't reach. A 3 axis is like a drawing with a pen on paper it only goes strait down, undercuts don't work. There are ways to cheat this by using slices, double sided milling, quad sided milling but it's still a pain. If you really need to get that detail perfect (can't do it by hand) you can carve out the section in CAD and rotate it so the tool can reach it. The hard part is making a matching receptacle for the piece so it fits in perfectly (booleans are your friend here).

Most of what I said can be done by the CAD/CNC guy generating the g code (though the receptacle bit is a pain). For the best results, import your file into a CAD program and resize/cut parts with booleans/etc and create a file per part you want to have milled. Also go high resolution, the mills/routers can handle it just fine. Just make sure you get your sizes done ahead of time, measurements don't matter much in 3DS but they are everything in CAD/CNC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back