First Halo Pepakura build

Status
Not open for further replies.

rilack

Hello 405th! Long time reader, first time poster.

I've been thinking of a way to put a strange twist on an outfit for an upcoming event which has a ball. After reviewing some post ball pictures from conventions, I noticed friends of mine wearing an Iron Man and War Machine masks (the cheap plastic kind you get from a party shop). So I thought, I'm going to do one better! I'm going to make a Halo helmet!....ODST to be exact.

Now I'm not a total noob when it comes to pepakura. I've made a Gears of War Gnasher, and am in the process of creating papercraft plans for a Real Ghostbusters proton pack, wand and trap (almost there, just have to sort out the proportions...a few mock ups away). So it wasn't a total leap of insanity that made me think of making the helmet via pep.

Here is the start of my journey that is Halo Pepakura:

After the end of day 2 (day 1 photo is on my phone and has yet to be taken off it yet, I may retroactively add that in) I had a visor and part of the bottom....which I forgot to take a picture of before heading home from work!

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

Now is it just me....or does it look a bit....thin? Any thoughts? Day 3 is tomorrow, and I should be able to get another chunk done!

I thought the same about mine. Just keep pepping it out, and if it's scaled correctly it'll fix itself.

And your pepping skills are awesome! it's looking great so far, keep it up! We'd all love to see this thing as its coming along!

Rex out.

Awesome to see another ODST build! The pepwork looks clean and nice so far!

Looking forward to see the final product of this!

very good progress, I did one a while ago when the game first came out, I took a lot of pics but for some reason all I can find is this spinning gif I did for some reason lol

ODST.gif

loving the multi colour zacic xD

update: ok so......something went horribly wrong yesterday and I just hope it will right itself as I continue to build.

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

I've built the bottom, and sadly I think I got the sizing wrong. I'll finish it up anyway, just for the hell of it, but it's a setback :(

Also, if anyone can point me to a thread about fans to stop the visor from fogging....and a thread about visors in general, that would be great!

Trust me when I say that if the bottom is too small for your head to fit into the helmet is NOT undersize, I couldnt get my head in mine but as soon as I altered it so it poped on like a collar the fit was near perfect

I've finished the pep build! but there are a few holes and such where I failed to stick it properly. I'm hoping some bondo or resin will be able to seal it all up.

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

And it does fit! So happy....though it could have been with being a few centimetres bigger on the sides, something to consider on future builds I guess.

I notice with these odst helmets, that they have a tendency to pull narrow, and you may need to use support struts inside it to push it wider while you resin. But looking at the pictures, it looks like it's already pretty wide, so it may just be a scaling issue.. I understand that people commonly carve out where the ears and temples enter in the bottom lip to accomodate their heads better.

Thinking back, I believe it is because (and I have no reason as to why) I forgot to add my ears into the measurement. I measured front to back and side to side on the top of my head, completely neglecting the fact that not everything sits within that area. But it's fine as I will just need to put less padding in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back