M6G Cardboard Pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prettyfloralbonnet

Jr Member
After trying my hand at a foam weapon and seeing marshon’s scatchbuilding tutorial I thought I’d try my something small.

Marshon’s scratchbuilding tutorial:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/32627-Tutorial-Scratchbuilt-cardboard-weapons-for-noobs

Wizardofflight’s blueprints page:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/9039-Wizard-Of-Flight's-Weapon-Blueprints?daysprune=-1

I started with the blueprints from Wizardofflight’s thread and got to work on the core:
20120115192710_00001.jpg

I used 2mm corrugated cardboard and Elmer's glue:
1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

With the core done I started working on the angled upper portion of the gun:
3.jpg

4a.jpg

4b.jpg

Notice above that the handle is torn out again as I thought I had incorrectly measured the grip width. I ended up cutting another piece of cardboard to replace it and tried removing just one side of the cardboard (not a good idea).

Foamies for grip, trigger and guard, and the top of the gun:
6.jpg

6a.jpg

6b.jpg

At this point most of the larger profile pieces have been added. The black just happens to be the color of the foamies that I chose, everything will be covered with paint.
7.jpg

I wanted something to fill in gaps between adjacent cardboard and foam pieces and mistakenly chose Mod Podge giving it that slimy shine. I was hoping that it would be somewhat sandable but it doesn't seem to be. Over the next few days I'll try my luck with a $3 tube of Bondo brand filler (no hardener or mixing) before attempting any sort of paint.

Some things I've learned up to this stage:
-Hobby knives dull quickly
-Lighter corrugated cardboard doesn't cut into smaller angles and shapes very easily
-Elmer's glue is perhaps too light or at least takes too long to set and dry
-I was able to cut straighter and more perpendicular lines with a retractable box cutter than the hobby knife as I tended to always cut at a slight uneven angle.
-When using foamies don't forget to take into consideration their thickness when figuring out how thick to make the core upon which you build your weapon.

Thanks for the compliments and I apologize for not posting updated photos. I've done some considerable Bondo Spot putty work and it's turning out nicely. Unfortunately, a friend asked me to make her something from the game Assassin's Creed and I got a little sidetracked for a couple weeks. It ended in a bit of failure but I did at least manage to build a circuit that lights up 8 LED's and pulses them (sort of a breathing effect).
IMG_20120203_054009.jpg

After I finish some sanding I'll post some pictures of the pistol primed grey.

I'm impressed at the amount of detail put into the construction of this build. Very nice. Can't wait to see it finished! Keep up the awesome work.

Been awhile...I kept putting off the rest of the details but spent today on them. It's far from painting stage but the primer will help me find all the edges and pits that I need to go back and fill/sand.
100_0058.jpg

100_0056.jpg

100_0057.jpg

100_0054.jpg

I've more or less finished this one. All that's left is the serial number "engraving" on the side which I'll do without a picture update at some point.
IMAG0012.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

That came out really slick and clean designs with a good dirty paint job, great work!

Really outstanding work in cardboard. How did you make the leap from unsandable Mod Podge to the crisp result you got? A whole lot of trial and error put me on to a paper mache' and clay mix that struck the right balance between hard and flexible (plus bonded well to the cardboard). Great work really.

Redshirt

That came out really slick and clean designs with a good dirty paint job, great work!

Thanks...though I initially wasn't going for dirty. However, by the time I started that first bit of blackwashing I went a bit crazy with it.

Really outstanding work in cardboard. How did you make the leap from unsandable Mod Podge to the crisp result you got? A whole lot of trial and error put me on to a paper mache' and clay mix that struck the right balance between hard and flexible (plus bonded well to the cardboard). Great work really.

Redshirt

Thanks! I have terrible luck sanding Mod Podge since it gets so sticky. Usually, I coat it with a layer or two of gesso which handles sanding a bit better then use the Bondo filler that comes in a tube to finish it up.

Now that's a sweet looking sidearm. Awesome work.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back