KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. VERY nice detail for the undersuit. Can't wait to see how the armor turns out! Keep up the awesome work.

Really awesome work on this. You'll have one of the best under suits around once it is finished.:)

Thanks everyone for the love! :D

I finally got my work space back to operating conditions...so hopefully I'll have some more to show soon!

Until then...happy building everyone :)

Thanks, Syko! :)
-----

Alright boys and girls, it's time for a long overdue update:

I put together the base for the right sleeve, minus any details (I plan on adding those once I determine what is actually going on with the mechanical foam pieces). Nothing interesting to see there as of yet, so on to something more exciting... PANTS! :D

In general, the idea of sewing pants makes me kind of nervous. I've never made pants before and it just seems kind of tricky. To make things a little less daunting, I made some minor tweaks to my original pants plan (to simplify slightly and make it easier to construct in sections). I'm making the pants in three basic sections (pelvis, left leg, right leg) so that if one of the sections doesn't work out, it's easier to scrap part of the build...rather than the whole thing.

>> Since I don't have a mannequin for my lower half, I started by taping a pair of real pants to block out the basic pattern pieces (similar to how I started the shirt). *Note* I did this with the pants on since they are stretchy and have a different shape when off.

Post_Tape_02.jpg

>> Next, I used the real pants as reference to block out a basic pattern shape. Then I transferred the tape detail shapes from the pants to the paper (shown below). I cut apart this transferred image to create the pattern pieces, making sure to add in seam allowance as I went (not shown).

Post_Transfer_02.jpg

>> From there, I tested out the left leg section. Right now, it's basically like a leg sleeve. This piece will be attached to the pelvis piece later:

Post_ThreeLegs_03.jpg

Post_Details_04.jpg

It's a tad bit big around, but that's an easy fix. I can't wait to have it all together! :)

-----
Up Next: Since I know the leg pattern pretty much works, it's on to the pelvis piece! :eek Wish me luck! :D

Wow the pants really look awesome, I don't think I have seen to many people attempt to make the details on the pants, yours look pretty much spot on, nice job so far

wow I don't know how you do it! It all look great!! Can't wait to see the completed pants (like someone else said, hardly anyone ever does details on the pants)

Really really really awesome work on this. I so need a sewing machine!

Definitely watching this thread closely now. You're doing pretty much exactly what I was hoping to do for my own undersuit once the armor itself has been made. You have quite an advantage over me though, I don't know anything about sewing!

Thanks guys for all of the comments! :) :) I'm still working on the upper portion of the pants. Feels like I'm going at a snail's pace :(, but I'll try to have more to show soon!

Wow the pants really look awesome, I don't think I have seen to many people attempt to make the details on the pants, yours look pretty much spot on, nice job so far

Thanks! I thought the undersuit knee detail looked cool, so I knew I had to give it a try! :)

wow I don't know how you do it! It all look great!! Can't wait to see the completed pants (like someone else said, hardly anyone ever does details on the pants)

:) The key is patience and pinning!

Yet again good work! Sorry to ask, but what materials have you used so far? is it leather?

:D I'm using three different materials so far: marine vinyl (the leathery looking stuff), a rayon/polyester knit (the stretchy plain black stuff), and some meshy type fabric. I like the effect of the marine vinyl, but it can be tricky because it is not forgiving at all. You've got to commit to a stitch, because seam ripping doesn't turn out too well with the vinyl (it doesn't "heal" very well).

Wicked job, dudette!
This is awesome! I love seeing people make accurate armor AND a accurate undersuit !
Sweet looking pants, this is going to be one killer under-suit when you're done.

Thanks guys! I can't wait to wrap up (ish) the undersuit so that I can move on to the armor!

Really really really awesome work on this. I so need a sewing machine!

:) Get one!!

Definitely watching this thread closely now. You're doing pretty much exactly what I was hoping to do for my own undersuit once the armor itself has been made. You have quite an advantage over me though, I don't know anything about sewing!

Thanks! You can always learn! :)

-----
Now, back to cutting and pinning...

love the the way its going! i hope to be able to make an undersuit for my armor (i know, a 15 year old boy that can sew?! gasp!) but i have to get a little help on some of the details.

love the the way its going! i hope to be able to make an undersuit for my armor (i know, a 15 year old boy that can sew?! gasp!) but i have to get a little help on some of the details.

I know how to sew on a button thats it lol, but would not be able to make myself an undersuit this awesome

It's so nice to see another seamstress on here. You shall be an awesome spartan chick with an awesome under suit. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back