KAT ARMOR BUILD - with custom undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
HOLY SH***********************************************T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im so sad I didnt join the forums until after this build. You inspire us all.

Wow... :) congrats on this build, It's insane! :D you have an amazing talent for detail.

When you painted up the legs did the foam just react in a way to make the color varriations? Or was that just from the different washes of paint.
I ask this because the whole paint job looks beautiful and makes this suit really feel worn. And I like that lol ;)... the whole worn out thing..

The undersuit is awesome as well. not just well... it's amazing :D

Hope to see you making more costumes like this :D XD

Un

freakin'

believable!

I just waded through all 73 pages of this incredible build. Just when I think I am skilled, someone like you comes along to show just how amateurish I am! You have inspired me to do better for my own build, so thank you!

Any tips for a guy who is about to make under under suit f from scratch? I am attempting to make my own pattern from a form dummy.

Woo-hoo! So thankful to see the site is back to normal. Thank you admins for all of the hard work :)!!!

The next few multi-posts are my reposts of updates that were lost in the revert

UPDATE 1:

@Keith: The paint variation was from various washes. As far as I can tell, the paint did not react to the foam in any way.
Blackblood: I would recommend deconstructing (physically or mentally) existing pieces of clothing for pattern reference and fit.

-----

With SDCC coming up in a few months, I figured I should take some time to wrap up some loose ends on the suit and finally add a legitimate weapon. After some time away from the project, I came back to it and realized that ultimately...I'm not really diggin' the helmet. I think my rush to get it done (combined with a visor that was really too big) resulted in the helmet getting bigger and more rounded than it should be.

For Helmet 2.0, I decided on two things: to make it as small as I can and to forget using a motorcycle visor.

>> To make it smaller, I started by tracing my head on some paper. Then I re-drew the helmet around the tracing, bringing the lines in as close as possible:

HelmetUpdate_Post_01copy_zpsdca8b222.jpg

>> The motorcycle visor caused issues with warping the foam. Since foam is not very rigid, the natural wide shape of the visor prevented the helmet from being as thin as necessary. This time, I'm using thin flexible plastic combined with window tint. I still need to explore tint options, as the current one is too transparent. The plastic is not curved, but for me it is a better option than the motorcycle visor (for sizing purposes).

HelmetUpdate_Post_02copy_zps1291a4d4.jpg

>> I then went to work modifying my previous helmet pattern to get a better size and shape. Here's a side-by-side comparison before paint:

HelmetUpdate_Post_03copy_zps9276892a.jpg

>> What it looks like on:

HelmetUpdate_Post_04copy_zps4e40b885.jpg

I know it's not perfect, but so far I'm much happier with the new version :)

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE 2:

Tactical case is almost ready for paint. The case is technically functional (lid opens/closes)...but it's so small that it won't really hold much:

TacticalCase_00copy_zpsd3f18e6b.jpg

And I also finally got around to building a weapon!

Pistol_01_zps31771341.jpg

I added magnets in the pistol grip and the thigh so that the pistol is easily removable:

Pistol_02_zps524f82f2.jpg

And the painted pistol:

Pistol_Paint_00_zpsc30ced36.jpg

UPDATE 3:

Tactical case is painted:

TacticalCase_Paint_00_zps66278b69.jpg

Helmet too! (Had to try it on with the rest of the gear :))

Helmet_Paint_00_zps5a1fa26c.jpg

And an image mash-up I was messing around with in Photoshop the other day:

PhotoshopBackground_02_zpsfddc287f.jpg

I still have a few things to mod on the suit (mainly comfort related), but aesthetically it's pretty much wrapped up so I'm not sure if I'll have any more updates on this project until after SDCC.

As always, keep buildin' guys! :)

Nice work! Glad to see incremental enhancements to the suit, which itself was already a great piece of work. One of my biggest gripes was the proportion and shape of the helmet, and I'm glad to see you've made a helmet mk2.0. Can't wait to see what's next

Thank you Necrogenesis and thorn :D

Nice work! Glad to see incremental enhancements to the suit, which itself was already a great piece of work. One of my biggest gripes was the proportion and shape of the helmet, and I'm glad to see you've made a helmet mk2.0. Can't wait to see what's next
Thanks! I should have some more pictures from Anime Expo and Comic Con coming up, but after that I'll probably be on pause with the project while I work on some new stuff :).

-----

Last weekend I went to Anime Expo and wore the suit with other Spartans for the first time :). It was incredibly fun and everyone was super awesome to hang out with!!!

Spartans_5_Front_01_zps2cbbf58a.jpg

Spartans_Ladies_A_01_zps3f7c4c15.jpg

Don't mess with the lady Spartans! :D

Great pics! The person in the middle on the first pic looks like they are facepalming lol

One of the best Anime Expos I've ever attended. It was super cool to hang with you, Lil'Tyrant. I'm happy you finally got to hang with spartans! It was your first time trooping, right? :D

Just wow and so incredibly amazing I keep looking thru your file atleast every month and every time I'm just in aww

@Mstruvmgc, thorn696, Spartan_127 and AugmentedHuman013:
:D :D Thank you all very much!

ERMAGERD! EPIC!! I cant wait to see pics from SDCC! Only one more week!
Btw, what happened to the Jun suit you said you were going to build a little while back?
Thank you! Sorry for the delay in pics...I've been suuuuper busy at home/work since coming back from San Diego! As for the Jun suit, it's on hold for the moment. I'm working on Thor and a female Captain America instead :p

Such great photos Hun. I love this pic of you and Roxy. Makes me very jealous though not being there too :(
:) Maybe one day you'll make it over to the States!

One of the best Anime Expos I've ever attended. It was super cool to hang with you, Lil'Tyrant. I'm happy you finally got to hang with spartans! It was your first time trooping, right? :D
Woo hoo! Yes, it was my first time. Soooo much fun to hang out with you, too! Need more Lady Spartan shenanigans :D

-----

Life is being super, super busy right now...but here's a few photos from SDCC:

IMG_0327copy_zps56957d91.jpg

IMG_0256copy_zps7006f1fe.jpg

IMG_0364copy_zpsab26361a.jpg

It was my first time at San Diego Comic-Con and it was a lot of fun! There were a ton of really interesting and inspiring booths to check out in the exhibit hall and I was able to spend some time with a big group of fellow 405th members (which of course, was incredibly awesome). It's always fantastic to meet more members of the community and get to check out their awesome suits in person :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back