Foam COG armor - my first foam build!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey gang,
I decided to give the Cog armor a shot and see if I liked working with foam. I will update this post with progress pics as I go along, but since I am blind, I work a lot slower than you guys do!
I will list all materials and supplies at the end so I can be as accurate as possible. If you need the patterns to make this, I will give you all that too.
Please let me know what you think and feel free to give suggestions and advice, it is all appreciated.
Cheers,
Brash

Here is a shot of the pieces laid out;
http://www.405th.com/[ATTACH=full]159098[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]159098[/ATTACH]

Here is little Marcus with all the pieces;
[ATTACH=full]159099[/ATTACH]

Here are the pieces put together;
[ATTACH=full]159100[/ATTACH]

Here is the chest after an additional layer of foam detail;
[ATTACH=full]159101[/ATTACH]

Here are the smaller pieces before curving with the heat gun;
[ATTACH=full]159102[/ATTACH]
[IMG]http://www.405th.com/[ATTACH=full]159098[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• newpics040.jpg
    newpics040.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 272
  • newpics038.jpg
    newpics038.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 260
  • newpics055.jpg
    newpics055.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 268
  • newpics063.jpg
    newpics063.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 256
  • newpics062.jpg
    newpics062.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 272
No PEP here - I can't see the numbers. :) These were made based on the 12" NECA Marcus figure.
Here is a little more progress on the chest piece;

newpics070.jpg

newpics072.jpg

Looking good. When you say carving with a Heat gun. What type of heat gun are you talking about? I use a type of heat gun at work and just can't see using it for carving foam, but I know there are ones out there for this kind of stuff.

I think he may mean solder iron if not a soldering iron works great for burns/blast/wear, and tear. But that is amazing work! Please keep posting don't let it die!

Sorry for the delay guys, I was in the hospital for a bit. I am home now and back to work on the suit. I will post pics in a few days.
As to the other questions;
I use a Dremel to carve detail and a heat gun to soften the foam and shape it. It holds the new shape when cool. I also bought a "Hot Hobby Knife" with interchangeable blades and tips - it makes detail work easier and faster.
Cheers and thanks for looking at this thread!
Brash

I just went back a re-read the first post . You're partially blind? Wow , this is seriously amazing ! Keep up the good work !

I must agree this is an amazing build. i have a question for ya though, did you make a big foam piece to add the little ones on to or just pieced togehter the little pieces to make the base of the chest? im looking to make my own cog armor and i dont really know where to start. and i agree with TheMagicNumber there isnt enough cog armor being made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back