Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Blog Entries
    Mar 22, 2012, 4:28 PM - #76

Quote Originally Posted by calmasacow View Post
    wow! what was the PPC of the material you were gonna use? I was thinking about having my helmet done that way.hoping it would be at least rigid enough to then make a mold from.

I guess shapeways charges a printing fee and then material cost per cubic cm. They show the cheapest when you look at it which is sandstone. The white plastic costs more, $160 for the shoulder and $30 for the hand.
  2. Mar 22, 2012, 6:37 PM - #77

Quote Originally Posted by JBetts97 View Post

The molds will only be created for universal parts .
    Every contributor will receive rough cast pieces to make their own armor .
    the molds that are created will be sent back to the original makers of the pieces .
    On the off chance that someone doesn't want their mold ...........I do like the C4 idea
    Wait, how will everyone be getting rough cast pieces to make their own suits if we're only molding the universal parts?
    Blog Entries
    Mar 22, 2012, 9:30 PM - #78

Quote Originally Posted by higdog827 View Post
    Wait, how will everyone be getting rough cast pieces to make their own suits if we're only molding the universal parts?
    Yeah...I didn't think about that .

Let's see -

The only 2 parts that wouldn't be universal would be the chest and the cod piece . Problem is - Would the average laymen want to have a heavy chest piece made of Resin , fiberglass , and Bondo to wear around? With all of the bondo work on a piece as big as the chest, I imagine it could get rather heavy . I'll have to think that one through . As for everyone getting casts of every piece , How about they all get a cast of just the universal pieces? Any thoughts? Input please!

-Jacob
  4. Mar 22, 2012, 9:49 PM - #79

Your best bet is to avoid molding and casting any of the parts, just go with the original parts, this way you know there is a good chance you will finish this project before the deadline, anything you add extra to the build such as molding will only prolong the build, also remember most cast copies have casting flaws that will have to be fixed up also, so you would have to do work on the casts just to prep them for paint, but Jacob your basically the one in charge of the project so ultimately you will have to make the final decision, I wouldnt stress it much just put a plan in place and go with it and get this project rolling..............Good Luck guys can't wait to see this build come together and see a community build
  5. Mar 22, 2012, 10:02 PM - #80

Yeah...I didn't think about that .

Let's see -

The only 2 parts that wouldn't be universal would be the chest and the cod piece . Problem is - Would the average laymen want to have a heavy chest piece made of Resin , fiberglass , and Bondo to wear around? With all of the bondo work on a piece as big as the chest, I imagine it could get rather heavy . I'll have to think that one through . As for everyone getting casts of every piece , How about they all get a cast of just the universal pieces? Any thoughts? Input please!

-Jacob
    No offence, but you're wrong about the universal pieces. The ONLY ones that are universal are the shins and maybe the boots. The other parts are similar, but not reversible or universal if you will. Think about it, in order for a piece to be worn on either side of the body (universally), then the piece would have to be exactly the same on each side (like the shin pieces).
    This is MY understanding of a "universal part:"
    Now for some examples to help everybody understand.
    To show the difference between universal parts and ones that are different on each side, we'll use the pepped shins and gauntlets from my ODST build because they're similar to the H4 parts i'm corresponding them to.

The shin is a universal piece. that is because it can be worn correctly on either side of the body without any modification. See?

If I were to make a mold of this shin, I could make two casts from it, and one could be used on my right leg, the other for my left.

Now the forearms on the other hand are NOT universal. This is because they CAN NOT be worn correctly on either side without modification. See?

If we were to mold this, we could only use it for one side.

I hate to sound like an ass, but I just want to make sure everybody understands this correctly.
    Last edited by higdog827; Mar 22, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
  6. Mar 22, 2012, 10:59 PM - #81

No offence, but you're wrong about the universal pieces. The ONLY ones that are universal are the shins and maybe the boots. The other parts are similar, but not reversible or universal if you will. Think about it, in order for a piece to be worn on either side of the body (universally), then the piece would have to be exactly the same on each side (like the shin pieces).
    This is MY understanding of a "universal part:"
    Now for some examples to help everybody understand.
    To show the difference between universal parts and ones that are different on each side, we'll use the pepped shins and gauntlets from my ODST build because they're similar to the H4 parts i'm corresponding them to.

The shin is a universal piece. that is because it can be worn correctly on either side of the body without any modification. See?

If I were to make a mold of this shin, I could make two casts from it, and one could be used on my right leg, the other for my left.

Now the forearms on the other hand are NOT universal. This is because they CAN NOT be worn correctly on either side without modification. See?

If we were to mold this, we could only use it for one side.

I hate to sound like an ass, but I just want to make sure everybody understands this correctly.
    I totally understand that one, there are some semantics to your point, i.e. the specific armor being built (reach gauntlets, boots, shins, and shoulder attachments are universal) but this is halo 4, as far as i can tell the shoulders, knees, boots, and gloves are the only universals while the gauntlets, shins, helmet, biceps, chest, cod, and thigh pieces aren't universal... could be a pain... want to point out as well that the deadline is not available. This leaves me wondering when this armor needs to be finished, i can tell this is going to take several months however I'm sure I'm not the only one curious of when this build needs to be finished.

Jacob I swear I'm not trying to poke holes in your thought bubble or pile more issues on top of current ones, just mentioning this cause it's stuff valid to the build.

-Logan
  7. Mar 22, 2012, 11:12 PM - #82

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorRawr View Post
    I totally understand that one, there are some semantics to your point, i.e. the specific armor being built (reach gauntlets, boots, shins, and shoulder attachments are universal) but this is halo 4, as far as i can tell the shoulders, knees, boots, and gloves are the only universals while the gauntlets, shins, helmet, biceps, chest, cod, and thigh pieces aren't universal... could be a pain
    Ok, ive reviewed the reference pics and i will agree that the shins, boots, shoulder plates, and handplates are universal. So by the looks of it, we'll need one boot, one shin, one hand, one shoulder plate, one codpiece, one chestpiece, one helmet, two thighs, and two gauntlets (assuming we do in fact mold this stuff). That sound about right?
    Last edited by higdog827; Mar 22, 2012 at 11:17 PM.
  8. Mar 22, 2012, 11:53 PM - #83

Ok, ive reviewed the reference pics and i will agree that the shins, boots, shoulder plates, and handplates are universal. So by the looks of it, we'll need one boot, one shin, one hand, one shoulder plate, one codpiece, one chestpiece, one helmet, two thighs, and two gauntlets (assuming we do in fact mold this stuff). That sound about right?
    looks right to me however... Jacob said molds only for universal parts so going by that... we only need one boot one hand, one shoulder plate and one knee, the shins aren't universal however, look at the toy on the first post, the inside of the calf is different than the outside of it...
    Blog Entries
    Mar 23, 2012, 10:56 AM - #84

Ok so - The non-universal parts are -

The Helmet
    the chest
    the forearms
    the cod piece
    and the thighs

That means the only universal parts are -
    The handplates
    the shoulders
    the knees and shins
    and the boots

My concern is weight . I'm thinking of the person who is going to end up with this suit . Will they really want to wear around a suit where the main bulk of it is going to have a serious amount of heft too it?
    That is why I wanted everything to be molded and cast out . Because that is not the case anymore , everyone here must make a effort to make your piece as light as possible . This was also a concern last year , so we used smooth-cast 300 to harden the inside of the helmet . It worked beautifully ! Here is a video that Jedistumpy made a few years ago -

and the results of it

I think the pieces such as the chest should be hardened this way . A layer of fiberglass resin on the outside , smooth-cast on the inside (sounds like a pillsbury commercial lol)

That being said , the helmet will still be molded . No one wants fiberglass in their face lol

As far as a deadline , there isn't one . I think we should just focus on making this suit awesome and taking our time . And @SeniorRawr - No bubbles poked

-Jacob
    Last edited by JBetts97; Mar 23, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
  10. Mar 23, 2012, 11:55 AM - #85

Jbett, do you want me to tackle the guantlets? you never responded to my PM with questions. lol
  11. Mar 23, 2012, 12:24 PM - #86

jacob, look closely at the model toy's shin pieces, they arent the same on inside and outside
    Blog Entries
    Mar 23, 2012, 2:16 PM - #87

That is just a toy. A representation. A prototype. If you compare the toy to the game footage the index finger is different. I'm trying my hardest not to look at the toy for references. In the end It depends on the modeler, if they decide that it looks the same inside and out that they make it that way. And even then it's your decision to make it from their model or make your own.
    Blog Entries
    Mar 23, 2012, 9:10 PM - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Mstruvmgc View Post
    Jbett, do you want me to tackle the guantlets? you never responded to my PM with questions. lol
    That would be awesome!

jacob, look closely at the model toy's shin pieces, they arent the same on inside and outside
    Quote Originally Posted by KingRahl View Post
    That is just a toy. A representation. A prototype. If you compare the toy to the game footage the index finger is different. I'm trying my hardest not to look at the toy for references. In the end It depends on the modeler, if they decide that it looks the same inside and out that they make it that way. And even then it's your decision to make it from their model or make your own.
    When we find a model for the shins , whoever is doing them will have to decide when they pep the model .
    Blog Entries
    Mar 26, 2012, 10:57 PM - #89

Hey guys i dont have any updates for you guys yet, but i did just now ordered some sintra and styrene so, ill be starting the BR as soon as the stuff arrives! (:
    Blog Entries
    Mar 26, 2012, 10:58 PM - #90

Quote Originally Posted by Kwameninja View Post
    Hey guys i dont have any updates for you guys yet, but i did just now ordered some sintra and styrene so, ill be starting the BR as soon as the stuff arrives! (:
    Awesometastic ! I can't wait to see it started!

btw - The print my father was working on didn't turn out the way we wanted , so he re did it and it looks amazing! I'll post a little preview tomorrow !

-Jacob
    Blog Entries
    Mar 26, 2012, 11:06 PM - #91

Awesometastic ! I can't wait to see it started!

btw - The print my father was working on didn't turn out the way we wanted , so he re did it and it looks amazing! I'll post a little preview tomorrow !

-Jacob
    I cant wait to see it! Speaking of sintra though, My bank card declined my order for some unknown reason, anyone know of a site that sells sintra that accepts paypal?
    Blog Entries
    Mar 27, 2012, 8:41 AM - #92

As promised , Here is a picture of the new Halo 4 print that everyone who works on the project and donates too it will receive !

Enjoy!

18. Mar 27, 2012, 8:50 AM - #93

Quote Originally Posted by Kwameninja View Post
    I cant wait to see it! Speaking of sintra though, My bank card declined my order for some unknown reason, anyone know of a site that sells sintra that accepts paypal?
    http://www.foamboardsource.com/sintra-pvc
    they have a large variety of sizes and even colors, white being the best lol

As promised , Here is a picture of the new Halo 4 print that everyone who works on the project and donates too it will receive !

Enjoy!

DUDE!!!!! Thats awesome, i saw it and my jaw dropped. Your dad is awesome!
    Blog Entries
    Mar 27, 2012, 9:17 AM - #94

Thanks man ! He has worked as a professional artist for 40+ years .Thanks!
    Last edited by JBetts97; Mar 30, 2012 at 8:25 PM.
  20. Mar 27, 2012, 2:30 PM - #95

I agree, this is very impressive. Props to your dad for doing this, it looks amazing! Now are we all going to be signing it and then everyone will get a copy with the signatures, or do we all just get unsigned prints?

Also, i just downloaded the thigh piece pep from kingrahl (amazing job on those file by the way!), so expect updated next week probably. I cant wait to get started!
    Last edited by higdog827; Mar 27, 2012 at 4:05 PM.
    Blog Entries
    Mar 27, 2012, 3:44 PM - #96

that website doesnt accept paypal ):
    anywho, im starting the BR as i type, ill post progress pics tonight! (:
    Blog Entries
    Mar 30, 2012, 8:19 PM - #97

After a couple of people suggesting that the picture be darkened , here is the new and final drawing! Everyone who contributes in some way , shape , or form will receive a print of this! Hope you like it!

here is a comparison between the old and new

-Jacob
    Last edited by JBetts97; Mar 30, 2012 at 8:23 PM.
  23. Mar 31, 2012, 3:37 AM - #98

Wow that looks fabulous!!
  24. Mar 31, 2012, 9:45 AM - #99

AMAZING! I can not wait to see one of these in person!
    Blog Entries
    Mar 31, 2012, 10:11 AM - #100

Quote Originally Posted by Mstruvmgc View Post
    Wow that looks fabulous!!

AMAZING! I can not wait to see one of these in person!
    Haha glad you guys like it!

ps.
    That cat made me seriously LOL