Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 294

Thread: Unity Project 2012 for Child's Play Charity (Looking for donors)

  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by higdog827 View Post
    No offence, but you're wrong about the universal pieces. The ONLY ones that are universal are the shins and maybe the boots. The other parts are similar, but not reversible or universal if you will. Think about it, in order for a piece to be worn on either side of the body (universally), then the piece would have to be exactly the same on each side (like the shin pieces).
    This is MY understanding of a "universal part:"
    Now for some examples to help everybody understand.
    To show the difference between universal parts and ones that are different on each side, we'll use the pepped shins and gauntlets from my ODST build because they're similar to the H4 parts i'm corresponding them to.

    The shin is a universal piece. that is because it can be worn correctly on either side of the body without any modification. See?


    If I were to make a mold of this shin, I could make two casts from it, and one could be used on my right leg, the other for my left.


    Now the forearms on the other hand are NOT universal. This is because they CAN NOT be worn correctly on either side without modification. See?


    If we were to mold this, we could only use it for one side.

    I hate to sound like an ass, but I just want to make sure everybody understands this correctly.
    I totally understand that one, there are some semantics to your point, i.e. the specific armor being built (reach gauntlets, boots, shins, and shoulder attachments are universal) but this is halo 4, as far as i can tell the shoulders, knees, boots, and gloves are the only universals while the gauntlets, shins, helmet, biceps, chest, cod, and thigh pieces aren't universal... could be a pain... want to point out as well that the deadline is not available. This leaves me wondering when this armor needs to be finished, i can tell this is going to take several months however I'm sure I'm not the only one curious of when this build needs to be finished.

    Jacob I swear I'm not trying to poke holes in your thought bubble or pile more issues on top of current ones, just mentioning this cause it's stuff valid to the build.

    -Logan
    Custom reach build here WIP (pic heavy)
    XBL Gamer Tag: SeniorRawr

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Youngstown, Ohio
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by SeniorRawr View Post
    I totally understand that one, there are some semantics to your point, i.e. the specific armor being built (reach gauntlets, boots, shins, and shoulder attachments are universal) but this is halo 4, as far as i can tell the shoulders, knees, boots, and gloves are the only universals while the gauntlets, shins, helmet, biceps, chest, cod, and thigh pieces aren't universal... could be a pain
    Ok, ive reviewed the reference pics and i will agree that the shins, boots, shoulder plates, and handplates are universal. So by the looks of it, we'll need one boot, one shin, one hand, one shoulder plate, one codpiece, one chestpiece, one helmet, two thighs, and two gauntlets (assuming we do in fact mold this stuff). That sound about right?
    Last edited by higdog827; 03-22-2012 at 11:17 PM.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by higdog827 View Post
    Ok, ive reviewed the reference pics and i will agree that the shins, boots, shoulder plates, and handplates are universal. So by the looks of it, we'll need one boot, one shin, one hand, one shoulder plate, one codpiece, one chestpiece, one helmet, two thighs, and two gauntlets (assuming we do in fact mold this stuff). That sound about right?
    looks right to me however... Jacob said molds only for universal parts so going by that... we only need one boot one hand, one shoulder plate and one knee, the shins aren't universal however, look at the toy on the first post, the inside of the calf is different than the outside of it...
    Custom reach build here WIP (pic heavy)
    XBL Gamer Tag: SeniorRawr

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houghton Lake, MI
    Posts
    1,513
    Blog Entries
    4
    Ok so - The non-universal parts are -

    The Helmet
    the chest
    the forearms
    the cod piece
    and the thighs

    That means the only universal parts are -
    The handplates
    the shoulders
    the knees and shins
    and the boots

    My concern is weight . I'm thinking of the person who is going to end up with this suit . Will they really want to wear around a suit where the main bulk of it is going to have a serious amount of heft too it?
    That is why I wanted everything to be molded and cast out . Because that is not the case anymore , everyone here must make a effort to make your piece as light as possible . This was also a concern last year , so we used smooth-cast 300 to harden the inside of the helmet . It worked beautifully ! Here is a video that Jedistumpy made a few years ago -



    and the results of it



    I think the pieces such as the chest should be hardened this way . A layer of fiberglass resin on the outside , smooth-cast on the inside (sounds like a pillsbury commercial lol)

    That being said , the helmet will still be molded . No one wants fiberglass in their face lol

    As far as a deadline , there isn't one . I think we should just focus on making this suit awesome and taking our time . And @SeniorRawr - No bubbles poked

    -Jacob
    Last edited by JBetts97; 03-23-2012 at 11:01 AM.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas Nevada. :-P
    Posts
    1,790
    Jbett, do you want me to tackle the guantlets? you never responded to my PM with questions. lol

  6. #86
    jacob, look closely at the model toy's shin pieces, they arent the same on inside and outside
    Custom reach build here WIP (pic heavy)
    XBL Gamer Tag: SeniorRawr

  7. #87
    That is just a toy. A representation. A prototype. If you compare the toy to the game footage the index finger is different. I'm trying my hardest not to look at the toy for references. In the end It depends on the modeler, if they decide that it looks the same inside and out that they make it that way. And even then it's your decision to make it from their model or make your own.
    My Gun Is Bigger Than Yours.
    3D Printing Armor Tutorial http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/...036#post649036
    Halo 4 files found here http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/...alo-4-pepakura

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houghton Lake, MI
    Posts
    1,513
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mstruvmgc View Post
    Jbett, do you want me to tackle the guantlets? you never responded to my PM with questions. lol
    That would be awesome!

    Quote Originally Posted by SeniorRawr View Post
    jacob, look closely at the model toy's shin pieces, they arent the same on inside and outside
    Quote Originally Posted by KingRahl View Post
    That is just a toy. A representation. A prototype. If you compare the toy to the game footage the index finger is different. I'm trying my hardest not to look at the toy for references. In the end It depends on the modeler, if they decide that it looks the same inside and out that they make it that way. And even then it's your decision to make it from their model or make your own.
    When we find a model for the shins , whoever is doing them will have to decide when they pep the model .

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Monroe, North Carolina
    Posts
    484
    Blog Entries
    1
    Hey guys i dont have any updates for you guys yet, but i did just now ordered some sintra and styrene so, ill be starting the BR as soon as the stuff arrives! (:

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houghton Lake, MI
    Posts
    1,513
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwameninja View Post
    Hey guys i dont have any updates for you guys yet, but i did just now ordered some sintra and styrene so, ill be starting the BR as soon as the stuff arrives! (:
    Awesometastic ! I can't wait to see it started!

    btw - The print my father was working on didn't turn out the way we wanted , so he re did it and it looks amazing! I'll post a little preview tomorrow !

    -Jacob

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •