Reach-era ODST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I had originally started a thread for the Halo 3: ODST variant of the ODST armor. (Redundancy, I consider it an artform)

Anyway, as the title implies. I shall be tackling the ODST armor from Reach. The main difference, is that the Reach variant lacks the thigh armor and replaces them with the NxRA thigh attachment overtop a pair of Desert utility trousers.

UA-NxRA.png

So far, I have pepped a pauldron, as is customary around this forum. I wanted something to show before I posted. In the first picture, is how I originally pepped Kirrou's hinged model. However, it was brought to my attention by BLACKULA, that the hinge part was flipped. I have sense fixed it, as shown in the second picture.

426336_302755186446332_100001355599967_756757_1079272497_n.jpg

Pre-Fix

426047_303327496389101_100001355599967_757669_1497709970_n.jpg

Post-Fix

As for the rest of the suit. I intend to use the 'Dutch' variant of the ODST helmet to give the armor, a little bit more...flavor, if you will. Also, if anyone could offer any insight as to how I can affix an attachment to the helmet so it can holster a flashlight. It would be greatly appreciated.

odst.png

^THAT attachment^

Your pep work looks good so far, nice work. Now as for the attachment, ive seen a lot of people that simply glue a small flashlight onto the helmet, then make it flush to the helmet with bondo or spot puddy (I plan on doing this for my Mickey ODST build). Its easy, inexpensive, and looks good. Of course, you could always scratch-build the attachment and wire it up with LEDs, but that's only if you want that sucker to be extremely game-accurate (its not very difficult to do, its just much easier to slap an already made flashlight onto the helmet). Its really up to you. In the meantime, keep up the good work!

Thanks guys! Anyway, I loaded Reach to get some references. Turns out. The Reach ODST's wear the Halo 3 Marine chest, with the chest plate replaced with the ODST variant. They also use the H3 Marine greaves replaced with the default Knee guard. Here's a pic to show my next few steps.
405544_303987252989792_100001355599967_758834_56100286_n.jpg

Actually, the reach ODSTs wear GUNGNIR knee guards. They are similar to the default knees, but they cover more are around the knee than the default ones. Here is a comparison:
Halo-Reach-Knee.jpg

I believe everything else you said was correct though.

Actually, the reach ODSTs wear GUNGNIR knee guards. They are similar to the default knees, but they cover more are around the knee than the default ones. Here is a comparison:
Halo-Reach-Knee.jpg

Argh. See, I was debating on what I was looking at. Thanks for clearing that up.

No problem. In my opinion, the halo 3 ODSTs had a more simplistic and functional look to their armour than the ones in reach. In reach it had that look like they were just trying to cram as much stuff in as they could. It still looks cool, it just doesn't seem as functional as halo 3's.

No problem. In my opinion, the halo 3 ODSTs had a more simplistic and functional look to their armour than the ones in reach. In reach it had that look like they were just trying to cram as much stuff in as they could. It still looks cool, it just doesn't seem as functional as halo 3's.

I completely agree with you. However, I want to attend DragonCon in a costume. So, I decided to make it as simple as possible while maintaining good quality. Therefore, less armor pieces, less time. :D

I understand. By the way, when/where is dragon con this year? Ive been wanting to go to it and PAX ever since I finished my masterchief suit last year, but its probably too close to be able to get tickets and such right?

More ODSTs! I really haven't seen to many Reach ODSTs either, so I will be watching this.

I totally understand wanting to go with a slightly simpler build. I've been working on my trooper since summer of 2010 (not everyday of course), and I missed two cons last year. Now I'm almost done and there are two cons coming to Pittsburgh within the next to months. (Tekkoshocon in march, Comicon in April).

Good luck man!

More ODSTs! I really haven't seen to many Reach ODSTs either, so I will be watching this.

I totally understand wanting to go with a slightly simpler build. I've been working on my trooper since summer of 2010 (not everyday of course), and I missed two cons last year. Now I'm almost done and there are two cons coming to Pittsburgh within the next to months. (Tekkoshocon in march, Comicon in April).

Good luck man!

Wow, I had no idea there were two cons coming to Pittsburgh! I'm about an hour away from there, do you know if tickets are still available for any of them?

At Tekkoshocon you can buy tickets at the door, or order them online. Tekko is more Japanese and anime, but I know people have worn their armor there. I'm not sure about Comicon, I really haven't looked into it yet. 've never been to either one, but I'm super excited.

At Tekkoshocon you can buy tickets at the door, or order them online. Tekko is more Japanese and anime, but I know people have worn their armor there. I'm not sure about Comicon, I really haven't looked into it yet. 've never been to either one, but I'm super excited.
Awesome! Do you know if anyone else from the 405th is going to either of them?

I met two guys at Pittsburgh Zombiefest, but I don't think they hang out on the forums much. Plus I haven't asked if they'll be in armor this year. Other than them, I don't know of anyone else. I know I'll be going to Tekko for sure, and most likely to Comicon.

Well, we may see each other then, because with them being so close, I cant pass up the opprotunity to go. Not sure about tekko, but I definately want to go to comicon. Thanks for the info! (And gladkumar, sorry for taking over your thread here)

Awesome man, hope to see you at at least one of them.

Yeah, sorry gladkumar, I didn't mean to start a whole discussion.

Interesting. Did you use anything to harden it other than resin before you painted it? (the paint job is awesome by the way!)

Nope. Just the resin and fiberglass. I used hardener of course. I hate working with Rondo. I might take my chances with it. But, I have yet to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back