Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Subscribe
    Apr 22, 2012, 11:59 AM - #126

beautiful beyond description. Hands down the best reach shotgun prop I've seen. The attention to detail is epic and your paint work just ties the entire project together wonderfully. Congrats on the elite move. It is well deserved.
  2. 405th Pacific Regiment Member L05T V1K1N6's Avatar
    Apr 22, 2012, 1:02 PM - #127

Wtf? NOOOOO!!!!! MY PICS!!! What happened?
    Bare with me guys, I'll get this straightened out soon.
    Last edited by L05T V1K1N6; Apr 22, 2012 at 1:05 PM.
  3. 405th Pacific Regiment Member Mstruvmgc's Avatar
    Mstruvmgc's Xbox Gamertag Mstruvmgc
    Apr 23, 2012, 4:08 AM - #128

Originally Posted by L05T V1K1N6 View Post
    Wtf? NOOOOO!!!!! MY PICS!!! What happened?
    Bare with me guys, I'll get this straightened out soon.
    The website said "im sorry, but we can not show such awesomeness to the public for they might go into a frenzy from seeing something so epic"
    :-P lol
    Apr 23, 2012, 3:40 PM - #129

There were complaints being made by people all over the globe saying their friends and family visiting the thread we're suffering from ocular extension syndrome! Some complainants heard an "Awooga!" sound effect coming out from no where when the symptoms occurred
  5. 405th Pacific Regiment Member L05T V1K1N6's Avatar
    Apr 26, 2012, 5:59 PM - #130

Originally Posted by drack View Post
    There were complaints being made by people all over the globe saying their friends and family visiting the thread we're suffering from ocular extension syndrome! Some complainants heard an "Awooga!" sound effect coming out from no where when the symptoms occurred
    Hahaha! You guys crack me up!

Well I tried rescaling the pictures and even that didn't work. So my next step is to just replace all the missing pics with direct links. Sorry for the inconvenience :/
    Last edited by L05T V1K1N6; May 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
    Apr 26, 2012, 6:42 PM - #131

Hahaha! You guys crack me up!

Well I tried rescaling the pictures and even that didn't work. So my next step is to just replace all the missing pics with direct links. Sorry for the inconvenience :/

Edit: That didn't work either. Sorry guys, I don't what to do about this
    I host my pictures on my Deviant ART account, either in a folder or in my scrapbook so they aren't all over the place. Maybe that could work for you? Its completely free too!
  7. 405th Pacific Regiment Member L05T V1K1N6's Avatar
    Apr 26, 2012, 6:59 PM - #132

Originally Posted by Sgt Forge View Post
    I host my pictures on my Deviant ART account, either in a folder or in my scrapbook so they aren't all over the place. Maybe that could work for you? Its completely free too!
    Excellent idea! I always forget I have a Deviant Art account. I think I'll do that tonight.

Thanks Forge!
    Apr 26, 2012, 7:32 PM - #133

Excellent idea! I always forget I have a Deviant Art account. I think I'll do that tonight.

Thanks Forge!
    No problem, Ive been waiting to show my friends your shotgun for a bit, and it'll be great to have the pics back!
    May 3, 2012, 10:15 PM - #134

Awesome work! You are putting me to shame. I have been so busy finishing up with college that I have not been on here lately and I see I have missed a lot. Again Great work!
    Blog Entries
    May 25, 2012, 2:02 PM - #135

I might have missed this somewhere in the threads (numerous pages lol) but what technique did you use for painting? I don't see any wood-grain, so is it some sort of plaster or clear-coat, then painting or just paint & sand repeatedly?
  11. 405th Pacific Regiment Member L05T V1K1N6's Avatar
    May 25, 2012, 5:48 PM - #136

Originally Posted by Psquiddy View Post
    I might have missed this somewhere in the threads (numerous pages lol) but what technique did you use for painting? I don't see any wood-grain, so is it some sort of plaster or clear-coat, then painting or just paint & sand repeatedly?
    I'd be more than happy to answer that
    The ultra smooth paint finish I was able to acheive was a result of two things: For one thing, I mainly used poplar for most of the construction, and poplar has very little to no grain texture on the surface in terms of its smoothness. The other factor is the primer I used, which is specifically designed to fill spots and minor imperfections. It's perfect for that type of aplication and, for all intents and purposes, almost acts like a Bondo/ primer 2in1 for a cleaner top coat. Hope that helps!
    Blog Entries
    May 27, 2012, 11:52 AM - #137

Really helpful man, should help on my Desert Eagle prop!
    Jun 2, 2012, 9:54 PM - #138

A build worthy of the sauce!
    Jun 13, 2012, 10:54 PM - #139

Jul 7, 2012, 7:20 PM - #140

For those of you interested in the molding process of this beautiful piece of art, you can follow the progress here
  16. 405th Southwest Regiment Member WandererTJ's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    WandererTJ's Xbox Gamertag Wanderer128
    Jun 9, 2014, 12:20 PM - #141

I hate to necro things, but this is still on the 1st page in the Elite Showcase, so hopefully that means that this is still alive enough. Plus I did notice that L05T V1K1N6's last login was yesterday, so that's good.

There were a few questions I had as I went through this, but I only found one of the answers.
    Q1B) What kind of wood did you use?
    - A: I think I read that you said you use "Poplar".
    - - - Q1B) Why Poplar if that's what you used?

Q2) You described your primer paint, but you never specified the brand or anything, can you given any info on it?

Q3) How much was the finished weight?
    - A: 5 lbs

Q4) Did you do anything to the pump so it wouldn't slide loosely and freely? I mean, did you add any springs to it so that it would stay in place unless you physically pumped it with your hand or anything like that?

Q5) Did you keep any of the templates for the slices of the shotgun?

Honestly, I think you could have written up an amazing guide on how to follow in your footsteps whether it'd be for duplicating the process with wood or perhaps even foam instead.

It would have been great if you saved your templates for each of the slices and had it marked for how thick each slice needed to be.
    You could have even had detailing templates for the marks/small indentions on the sides; "place template here, mark these spots, use this drill bit with a hand drill or a vertical mill."

Seriously, a list of templates, thicknesses, the processes needed to detail each of the cross sections, assembly instructions, and a list of required materials (a dowel rod, a ?" x ?" x ?" block of wood, what grades of sand paper are needed, etc...) would be absolutely amazing to have so that others could follow what you did and replicate your success.

Yes, you did make it look extremely easy to make, but I think you also came up with a method that broke down all the details of the weapon in an extremely easy way to reproduce. I'd just really love a tutorial on it.

I would personally love to scratch build one myself if you had instructions for it, but if I need to commission you to make a 2nd one in order for you write up instructions for everyone, then that is something that I would definitely consider doing.

...and yes, I know that Brandon McClain made a mold and has been casting the shotgun, but like I've said, it would be monumentally helpful to get a tutorial/guide on making weapons like you do.
    There is something a lot more satisfying in following a tutorial step by step in order to make something pretty much from scratch than it is to simply go out and buy something.
    Jun 12, 2014, 7:45 AM - #142

Really good work L05T V1K1N6 ! I salute you.
    Jun 14, 2014, 5:55 PM - #143

Not hard to see why this is in the elite section. Excellent work.

SB