Foam ODST build *in progress*

Status
Not open for further replies.

XII TRU7H VI

So yeah, this is my first big project.
I decided to use foam because it was suppose to be an easier process than pepping armor... I havent decided if that is true or not quite yet.

IMG_0185.jpg

I have the lower body semi complete, I used a mix of pep files found all over the place, most from Areo Napkin's thread.

IMG_0183.jpg

And this is where the magic happens....
IMG_0181.jpg

For any noobs out there wanting to try foam here is my two cents- I have really liked working with foam, it sure feels faster than just using pepakura to go through a whole set of armor.
Most of the time I have used simplified pep files, by either using the 'divide/join faces' tool on Pepakura designer, or just building the paper model off the pep file and then cutting it down into pieces that are suitable for foam.
My only tip is to keep your knife sharp, whenever my knife dulls I ended up having to go over the same piece several times to get it cut.

//UPDATE_1

finished pepping and rondoing the helmet.
IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

Found my first complaint about the rondo process, sanding down the sharp areas though the paper is a real pain on the sandpaper... Went through five Mouse sander pads with barely any sanding done before they all got caked with the paper residue.
IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

//UPDATE - FINISHED-
Here is the finished build, I would like to go back and add some lights to the body, and maybe some sort of speaker system so I can talk XD
Also going to swap out the odst helmet for my Hayabusa helmet occasionally, which is in my sig!
plqPX.jpg

I too am building an odst from foam and i find foam very easy to work with compared to pepping for i have tried both and failed at the latter, but taking your time and figuring your bevels on the edges will make things go a lot smoother. the more precise you make your edges and with the bevels the less glue you will have to use also. but your is looking good so far for a first attempt, just keep at it and practice makes perfect

Yeah I have been working on that as well. I figure it will look beter once I have Plasti-dipped it or whatever, but thanks!

ODST! Foam is definitely faster than pep. I've been working on my helljumper for over a year now and I'm only just about to finish it. to me, it does have disadvantages though. It seems like it would be a lot harder to fix a piece if it gets messed up, and it seems like it would be harder to get a smooth finish.

first post and your that far?
YOU SIR, ARE A GOD

Not everyone starts a thread as soon as they start their project! I had a few pieces finished or nearly done when I started my thread.

That being said, you are really far! Have you decided if you are gonna pep your helmet or do it in foam? I have seen a lot of people do foam armor with a pep helm because its easier to get detail into it.

Yes I will be doing the helmet in pep. Mainly just because I want the weight of the resin and bondo, I dont want a fluffy lightweight helmet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back