Reach for the Front!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katsu

At school, I can't bondo since there's no really easy way to take care of the dust in a school quad. So while my second draft ODST helmet is pepped and rondo'd, I have to busy myself until spring break when I can take the helmet home to bondo in my backyard. I decided that while I don't like the Reach armors as much as the H3 chief, I wanted to do something a bit less detailed, and it would be fun to mess around with the attachments. So I picked my third favorite helmet (after ODST and H3 Chief) which is the MkV. I found a great file that looks pretty game accurate (always important to me) and it came with accompanying attachment files that were scaled and designed to go with it! Also, I noticed I am now an infantryman, so I figured I'd post the build thread here. Thanks to AcePilot, Jico and Satchmo III for the great files.

The finished helmet
reach01.jpg

Testing the visor and connector:
reach02.jpg

The set finished!
reach03.jpg

I am not sure how... these pieces are meant to fit together:
reach04.jpg

Here it is without the connector piece:
reach05.jpg

I like the helmet overall, I had to resize it and fix some of the pieces in Designer, but it was worth it. It fits well without the lip, and I've not seen the visor piece before, even though it's pretty prominently a part of the actual game model, so I'm glad this one has a good fitting one:

reachref01.jpg

And this is the color scheme I'll be going for, to match my computer case:
reachref02.png

reachref03.png

The original was in here:
http://www.4shared.com/dir/iLZI7Rb-/halo_reach_files.html
It was under helmets/Mk.V /Mk.V (Reach mark V(B) ).pdo
I forget where I found the corresponding attachments. Depending on the response I get (see the following paragraph) I'll post it up.

That's the original copy of the helmet file. There are some things I modified for my pep, but I am not sure what the license agreements are for distributing mods I do to other people's files. I'll ask if it's okay, and if so I'll put mine up on my server. If you go with this file, it was really tiny, so you will want to check the scale before printing it.

The attachment might be on that link somewhere also, just look for the UA made by AcePilot, Jico and Satchmo III.

Nice pep work. The red and grey colour scheme looks good, I like it. Will you be doing a weathered finish or clean, out of the factory look?

Thanks! I'll be going for the weathered look, it's always fun to beat up a good paint job.

To tac2002, I got permission from Satchmo III to post my modified file. Mostly I just tweaked a few pieces that did not lay down right, as the file is probably a rip from the game, there were certain aspects of the 3d model that did not translate to paper well, his unfold is fantastic though; and rearranged the pieces so like pieces were closer together and it's ROUGHLY ordered by section of the helmet. Also, there are a few areas that will require bending or some hard thinking to get to lay down right, I did what I could to fix them but they just did not want to cooperate with me. I circled them in the following picture so you can be aware of them.

reachfolds.jpg

Here are the files for the helmet
http://wakemud.com/images/405th/reach/Mk.V [B] (Reach mark V(B)).pdo

And the attachments:
http://wakemud.com/images/405th/reach/Mk.V [B] (Reach mark V(B) attachments).pdo

FOR SCALING! Just so you know, I have a hat size of 7 7/8, so the file is pretty big. The original was sized about for a 6 1/2, which was pretty tiny. Be sure to check the scaling on it. Also, the lip on the bottom of the helmet is pretty unrealistic, I just don't pep it, and leave out the following parts:
pephelmwut.png

If you have any problems with the files, let me know and I'll gladly tweak it further, and would like to know for my own purposes as well. Also you can always ask questions! Good luck on your build.

Edit: I fixed the broken links, that [ b ] was getting read as a forum tag.

Bummer that your ODST will have to wait, but glad to see you have not abandoned your projecting!

Looks clean so far! :)

Thanks! I'll be going for the weathered look, it's always fun to beat up a good paint job.

To tac2002, I got permission from Satchmo III to post my modified file. Mostly I just tweaked a few pieces that did not lay down right, as the file is probably a rip from the game, there were certain aspects of the 3d model that did not translate to paper well, his unfold is fantastic though; and rearranged the pieces so like pieces were closer together and it's ROUGHLY ordered by section of the helmet. Also, there are a few areas that will require bending or some hard thinking to get to lay down right, I did what I could to fix them but they just did not want to cooperate with me. I circled them in the following picture so you can be aware of them.

reachfolds.jpg

Here are the files for the helmet
http://wakemud.com/images/405th/reach/Mk.V [B] (Reach mark V(B)).pdo

And the attachments:
http://wakemud.com/images/405th/reach/Mk.V [B] (Reach mark V(B) attachments).pdo

FOR SCALING! Just so you know, I have a hat size of 7 7/8, so the file is pretty big. The original was sized about for a 6 1/2, which was pretty tiny. Be sure to check the scaling on it. Also, the lip on the bottom of the helmet is pretty unrealistic, I just don't pep it, and leave out the following parts:
pephelmwut.png

If you have any problems with the files, let me know and I'll gladly tweak it further, and would like to know for my own purposes as well. Also you can always ask questions! Good luck on your build.

Edit: I fixed the broken links, that [ b ] was getting read as a forum tag.

Dude grats on the infantry man, also, I'm looking forward to seeing the detail work you slap onto that unsuspecting helmet lol. I do have a question you might be able to answer in a pm but i was wondering if i might get a modified version of that UA attachment for the Pilot helmet. Once again, grats on the infantryman and the work looks totally awesome so far.

Thanks for all the support guys. I pmed you rawr, but you already saw that!

I've further modified the pep file since building, having learned more about pepakura designer, and things I learned from building the helmet. But it's still awesome enough to continue on without repepping.

Resined:
reach06.jpg

The inside, I had a cardboard support beam inside because the thing was collapsing, cut it off after I hardened it:
reach07.jpg

Thai food and sanding! A great combination!
reach08.jpg

I chose the shoulder pieces I'd be using with this set, cqc and multi-threat, also hardened the UA and my ODST's stomach thingy:
reach09.jpg

A note on the hardening process, I laid fiberglass inside on all of the broad flat spots, then rondoed over the entire inside. With the inside details smoothed out, I layed fiberglass over the entire inside, with the details filled in by the rondo I was able to toss fiberglass in much more easily, I think I like this method a lot as it gives a lot of good strength, and still fills in all the crevasses to ensure I don't punch holes in the thing.

Amazing work as always, But in the second picture i noticed the right side looks a little im going with awkward, BUT it doesn't appear to have affected the helmet overall. I was just curious.

Which part of the the right side, and do you mean our right, its left; or our left, its right?

If you mean our right, there is a bit of a cave-in on the front just to the side of that part that goes downwards over the visor. I'm fixing it all slowly with bondo. The second draft of the file gave me some more troubles than I expected.

I think if I cut out the visor, I'll be able to work that rim better. Any specific details would be appreciated.

This is looking really fantastic!
i cant wait to see more of this build unfold.

one question.
how well does the visor meet the helmet? I am also working on the same build and I had to fill a bit of a gap between the helmet and the visor attachment.

Keep up the good work

we're using the same files, kahnah, it fits decently, I don't think it was meant to be 100% flush since it's an attachment but where did you have a gap between the two? When I get to the shop today, I'll try getting a picture of the two together.

I chose the shoulder pieces I'd be using with this set, cqc and multi-threat, also hardened the UA and my ODST's stomach thingy:
reach09.jpg

Dude the work is awesome so far, you really are uber good at this.
Lol i also noticed that you marked out the detail parts i pointed out on the cqc shoulder i'm wanting to do, i look forward to seeing how it turns out for you, also curious of how you attach your shoulder pieces to the bicep armor.

Dude the work is awesome so far, you really are uber good at this.
Lol i also noticed that you marked out the detail parts i pointed out on the cqc shoulder i'm wanting to do, i look forward to seeing how it turns out for you, also curious of how you attach your shoulder pieces to the bicep armor.

Hahaha, it'll work on the cqc since it doesn't look like it will need much bondo work. The pics you have are serving as my reference, so thank you for those, how did you get them?

For attaching, I am not too sure. I may go with rare earth magnets, or a screw-in system, since I want to have the option of taking them off. I've seen people use magnets for their guns, but I don't know how well they'd stand up to being on a less protected area like your shoulders. It might be better to just install a nut in the attachment and then screw it in from inside the bicep. Did you have any ideas in mind yourself?

Love the helmet file, looks great. Though, if I may offer a suggestion... Do yourself and you shoulders/elbows a huge favor... For $12 at Walmart they have professional gold grade bondo at Walmart. It's right next to the lightweight body filler. Snag yourself some. Trust me. Your elbows, shoulders, timetable and patience will all be glad you did. Best $2 extra you will ever spend. Other than that, looks great! Love the bucket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back