Time for more pictures. Since the Pep model started with few surface details and I removed the rest to streamline/strengthen construction, I needed to add the details. I decided that styrene sheets were the best way to go about this by just cutting out the details and layering them up on the surface of the Rondo/Pep blanks. I had to go out on business, so this was a good part of the project to take out on the road.
I started with full size drawings matched to the finished Rondo/Pepakura blanks. I then drew out the details, and cut them out as patterns for the styrene.
I carefully cut out the pieces from 40 and 60 thousandths of an inch styrene sheets. Notice the side markers are square-edged. I rounded those later with needle files.
It was a real challenge to get the vents for the mid shroud straight
Here's a better look at the drawings.
All the parts ready to graft onto the sides of the larger pieces.
Back at home and time to fit it all together:
I used JB Weld to hold the styrene to the Rondo/Pepakura parts. I cut other details into the Rondo using a combo of Dremel and the round file attachment for the beloved air file.
Rubber bands to hold while the JB Weld cures.
The small size of the styrene sheets meant that a lot of details had to be made of multiple parts.
Cleaned up parts for the front end of the upper receiver.
Shouldn't take too long to get the final clean-up done and get them ready to be made into molds.