CEREAL'S - Mk VI Comprehensive WIP **(With Videos)**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow...The amount of detail you've put into this is just awesome. I'm loving the lines that you gave the helmet smooth but at the same time chiseled, there really defining it as a one of a kind.:D

Ahmen lol
Everything is looking great cereal :) i am loving the details and explanations on what it is your doing :)

Thank you,
It takes some extra time and effort when I post; to get the pictures and text placement just right. But I did say this build would be comprehensive, so I'll be sticking to it.
That and remembering to take the pictures, because when I'm working I get lost in the project!

Wow...The amount of detail you've put into this is just awesome. I'm loving the lines that you gave the helmet smooth but at the same time chiseled, there really defining it as a one of a kind.:D

Thanks alot!
It would have been much less work to just follow the original pep, but I wouldn't have been happy otherwise.

More to come soon... ;)

Hey, I just now saw this build, and that helm is amazing so far, and you're not even done modifying it! Might I ask for tips on the damage though, I was thinking of doing some to cover up a bad area of pep'ing on my MkV chest, as well as some general damage here and there, but I have no idea how to do it....

Thanks,
Kyre

Thanks, I am using a Nikon D90. I love the pictures it takes. It'll come in handy when this build project is all done!

That's the model up from my Nikon D80! Kudos! Your progress pics will be amazing and an asset to your thread. That I'm sure of.

I love your attention to the detail and steady progress. I get the impression that you have no deadline, correct?

Your pepping is extremely excellent. Kudos to the creasing of the valley and mountains with red and blue.

Bondo and sanding is also extremely excellent. Glad that your experimenting with the battle damage and posting the results. The detailing your putting into the bondo is definitely better than mine. eg. you have managed to retain the sharp detail edges with the bondo, where as I beveled my edges and valleys. +1 to Epicness!

Inspirational and Motivational: Definitely YES! I can say this because I FEEL Motivated to spend more time working on my armor. +1 to Epicness!

I have a good feeling you'll raise the bar higher.
;)

Cheers!

Hey, I just now saw this build, and that helm is amazing so far, and you're not even done modifying it! Might I ask for tips on the damage though, I was thinking of doing some to cover up a bad area of pep'ing on my MkV chest, as well as some general damage here and there, but I have no idea how to do it....
Thanks,
Kyre

Hey Kyre, thanks!

As far as tips for damage go, the first thing that I would suggest is take it piece by piece, what was this specific piece of damage caused by? How do you want it to look? Were you blown back against a rock by an explosion? Did you jump from a moving warthog? (Not recomended!) Once I have a feel for what the damage is caused by, I develop a mental picture and then re-create it... Yeah... not to helpful I guess.... Tell you what I'll do... When I do some more damage to the helm, I will document the process so you have a better understanding of how I do it and the tools I am using to cause the effect. Sound good?

That's the model up from my Nikon D80! Kudos! Your progress pics will be amazing and an asset to your thread. That I'm sure of.
I love your attention to the detail and steady progress. I get the impression that you have no deadline, correct?
Your pepping is extremely excellent. Kudos to the creasing of the valley and mountains with red and blue.

Bondo and sanding is also extremely excellent. Glad that your experimenting with the battle damage and posting the results. The detailing your putting into the bondo is definitely better than mine. eg. you have managed to retain the sharp detail edges with the bondo, where as I beveled my edges and valleys. +1 to Epicness!

Inspirational and Motivational: Definitely YES! I can say this because I FEEL Motivated to spend more time working on my armor. +1 to Epicness!

I have a good feeling you'll raise the bar higher.
;)

Cheers!

Thanks for the encouraging words Longshot!

As far as a "deadline" goes... there really isn't one. Being that this is my first build I would hate to set one, being that for every 50 steps I think I need to do there are probably another 100 or so that I haven't thought of. I just plan on taking it one day at a time until done. If it ends up being 3-4 months, cool! If it ends up taking 12 - 14... so be it.

When people like you; who have already created a set Epic Armour tell me I'm doing well, I find it re-assuring, lets me know that I'm on the right track. If my armour turns out half as good as yours, I will dance a jig!

More Updates....

Just some general to-do's here, creeping my way along through the helmet portion of the project. I've cut out a recess into the back, just to give more depth to the back of the helmet. I will be building up the center of the cut-out once done.

022.jpg

I have taken some time to finalize the overall shape of the trench and ports in the back and filled up the hack marks that were previously left from some pepping warpage.

023.jpg

024.jpg

Started out on the neck portion of the back, when it's done it will be 3 levels. Once again, just hacking away...

025.jpg

Once the final shape is where I want it to be, it's time to fill in all the low spots giving a nice smooth final look.

026.jpg

027.jpg

This will be the shape for the 3rd and highest level of the neck, once again using the "rubberish" curing stage of the bondo to get the overall shape.

028.jpg

Here is the buildup detail, just about at its final shape.

029.jpg

Cleaning up the underside of the back as there were a few waves in the pep. The 3rd level of the neck is taking final shape.

030.jpg

Done!!!

After some measuring, sanding, filling and then some more measuring, sanding and filling.... I think we're there! I think it came out ok.

031.jpg

Being that I am one of the most impatient people to have ever existed on this planet, I had to throw some primer on the worked areas of the helmet just to get an approximation of how everything will look. The primer really helps out when you're looking for imperfections.

032.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

That's about it for right now.
Am hungry and tired. Next on the list will be the sides of the helmet with the God forsaken details on either side of the visor... FML!!!

As always, any comments, questions, critiques welcome!

To be continued...

Last edited by a moderator:
Best. Update. Ever. :D I love how the battle damage looks already, it's just going to be even more awesome after it gets some paint on it. I wish I had the determination that you possess! Maybe this build will help me get back to work rather than just sitting around all day :p

Best. Update. Ever. :D I love how the battle damage looks already, it's just going to be even more awesome after it gets some paint on it. I wish I had the determination that you possess! Maybe this build will help me get back to work rather than just sitting around all day :p

Thanks, Im glad you like the thread!
If this thread gets anyone motivated on a project, then it was well worth it.

Wow man that is really awesome, did you use a dremel to get into those really tiny areas?? I love the way the battle damage pops out at you too. its great!!

Wow man that is really awesome, did you use a dremel to get into those really tiny areas?? I love the way the battle damage pops out at you too. its great!!

Haha, Thanks!
A Dremel with a flex shaft is your dear friend when detailing! Also I don't think that I have ever seen a build here where the battle damage was directly on the work piece...
For the most part, I think it has all been damage effects by means of paint... Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.
However,... My most used tools are:

1. Razor Blade
2. Files (assorted)
3. A few Dentistry tools "I await the questions that this will cause..."

And yet another epic update, It just keeps getting better.

I'm glad that everyone is enjoying the build! I just figure it as "returning the favour" that many have already shared.
My contributioin to keeping the motivation going!!

No real update right now...
Just wanted to post a quick "Then" and "Now" look at progress thus far:

Then && Now...
before.jpg
after.jpg

Another update should be coming tonight or tomorrow...
Cereal.

Update...

I finally got around to removing the temporary visor and also got to work on the sides of the helmet. There are a few details that I put in that I guess in reality... didn't really need to be there. But, being that I have no real time constraints and I was in the mood I decided to go ahead anyways.

No more ugly visor...

035.jpg

Ok, so anyone who knows the pep files knows that all that is supposed to be here is the little notched vent. During game play that is all you see, but during cut scenes when the designers don't care about the models extra poly count you can see the vent tapers almost to the cheek. So I figured why the hell not!

036.jpg

Just doing a little build up for some details coming just ahead...

037.jpg

I am seriously debating whether I will ever use hot glue for another pep again! I hate the stuff! Well wait a minute... allow me to qualify:

If you plan on pepping out a model and using filler over top of it, never cutting in; Then hot glue is your friend! However, if you plan on cutting in and doing detail, the hot glue will show it's ugly face and come to the surface as you sand. The only real way to get rid of it is to "Dig it out" and back fill with bondo. Being that the helmet is the piece that deviates the most from the original pep file, I may use the hot glue again. But for any areas that will need heavy work I plan on using CA Glue (super glue) as to make life easier going forward.

038.jpg

I have decided to go the route of the recessed vent/port behind the cheek that will have a bevel that follows up the side of the helmet and possibly continuing on across the side of the brim.

039.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

That's all for now...

This is coming along amazing! I love the before and after shot--it really shows what a difference your details make.

I certainly commend your skills with bondo...that stuff always makes me frown.

Excited to see more! :)

Wow... your Bondo work is just incredible. I'm seriously jealous of this. I wish I had that kind of skill. Keep up the great work, cuz I check this thread constantly.

This is coming along amazing! I love the before and after shot--it really shows what a difference your details make.

I certainly commend your skills with bondo...that stuff always makes me frown.

Excited to see more! :)

When I've gone through many pages of a thread following a build, I sometimes find it hard to see the changes that have happened when they progress over several pages. I've always thought to myself "man... I wish people would post a then & now side by side every once and a while, just so I can see all at once what progress has happened"
So, voila!

Oh, and thank you for your praise! But there's always a flipside to that coin...
"I" certainly commend "your" skills with fabrics and mending as your build is coming along, and looks fantastic!! That stuff always makes me frown :(

Wow... your Bondo work is just incredible. I'm seriously jealous of this. I wish I had that kind of skill. Keep up the great work, cuz I check this thread constantly.

Thanks Bishorzidi!
I'm trying to make as regular progress updates as time will allow!

honestly in my opinion this has to be the best mark VI helmet I've seen. I'm truly looking forward to its completion! Great work!!

Haha, Thanks! A Dremel with a flex shaft is your dear friend when detailing! Cereal.

Well i guess i will have to give one of those a try out. onward to home depot!! lol

i like the "now" back of the helmet for sure lol

and as far as all the details and everything *big thumbs up!* lol I definately have to work on using my dremel more to get to your level.

p.s. any chance of you maybe doing a video to show some of the detailing process?? just curious :)

This site definitely needs more threads like this, with good photography and explanations, and not blurry photos fishing for compliments! If the amount of effort you're putting into the helmet is any indication, it looks like you're going to have an amazing suit when finished. Keep up the great work!

PS: I also feel the same about the Mk VI. Even though I built my suit after the release of Reach, I still had to do a MK VI. :cool

All picture threads: Take note, this is how everyone should showcase progress.

Also, absolutely impressive attention to detail. Despite being impatient as you've said, you've continued to put forth an impressive helmet,
and have yet to cave in.

Kudos and +1 suscribe to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back