WIP: Mass Effect 3: Geth Prime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liiansa

First off this is my girlfriends account since I've been trying to catch open registration for ages.

Background:
I've done a little bit of costuming in the past. Currently I have an incomplete Gears of War: Hoffman armor that I've been working with off and on. It's coming together really well, but I need to get my garage cleaned up so I can have a work space again. My girlfriend has done a lot more in the costuming department with completed Gears of War:Anya Stroud, Bernie Mataki (NY Gears 3 Launch Event), Star Wars: Twi'lek , and Mass Effect: Citadel Dress (Hollywood Release Event), and probably more I'm forgetting. I plan on starting this project once I complete my Hoffman build. When costuming I lean heavily towards making a costume that hasn't been done a million times by the fans. Which leads me to an amazing character from Mass Effect which I have yet to see reproduced.

Full size version of below image
phpuBoQl6PM.jpg

Mass Effect 3: Geth Prime:
My goal with this is to have a fully detailed costume to wear to the upcoming Comic-Con or any other conventions I end up at like PAX Prime. There are two directions I can go with this: Non-acurate scale and acurate scale.

Non-accurate scale would be a geth prime shaped to my body and height. This would result in a fairly maneuverable costume, and a lot less work.

The accurate scaled version would be a more accurate reproduction of a Geth Prime measuring in at a total height of 4 meters (13.1232ft). I so want to do this because... well ****... it would be epic. I would probably be using similar methods to Pete Mander's Halo Elite build which measured in at about 6 meters.

Height:
4 meters. Will need stilts and a shoulder harness to increase height. In order to make it through doors this will have to be sectional. Stilts (knees down) will detach dropping 1 meter. Upper chest/head will remove dropping half to 1 meter. Back "antenna" will remove or swivel upside down to drop 1-2 meters
Material:
Either Pep the armor, or make it out of foam and add a layer of resin for strength/solidity.
Skin:
Thinking of making a inner mesh that creates all the shape and texture with a fabric "Skin" that pulls tightly over. Ordered several fabric samples, so far a "Vinyl coated Nylon Spandex" looks to be almost perfect.
Lighting:
Red LEDs or EL wire running off a small battery pack should work great for this. Will have to play around.
Head Rotation:
This will add a lot more realism. Having to turn my torso to look around makes it all look too stiff. Thinking some sort of ring that attaches to my head, and uses ball bearings for smooth rotation would be a good start. Though need to look at more options for a possible better way.
Hoses:
There are a lot of industrial and consumer hoses available that would match very well. For the red lit hoses I am thinking of taking two different clear hoses that can have a snug fit within each other. Cut outer hose into sections and coat with Plastidip and paint. Slide onto smaller hose leaving gaps for red light to shine through from within the smaller hose.
Other:
Mesh Eyelets. Cable glands/grommets for hose connectors.

Updates:
3/24/2012
I am currently gathering reference material, build methods, and fabric samples/ other products that will lend to a realistic reproduction.

Contacted Bioware in hopes that they will lend reference material for the project. This worked out great with Epic for my girlfriends Bernie build. Just had to sign a non-disclosure on all the material they sent.

Working out how to extract models from the pc version of the game for a more detailed view of the Geth Prime.

Yeah, I can't wait to get started. I'm hoping to get in contact with Pete Mander and try to get some tips from him. His Halo Elite came out perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back