Upgrade on Mark 5 full build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nogood

Jr Member
Hey 405th! I have started building some stuff since Last Halloween and now I'm really wanting to fix this started suit up even more!

Its made of foam ( except the helmet, its bondo and resin )

I got some problems with Foam armour building and I'll post some pictures later! This is very annoying and very tough. Maybe some of yall will give me some help while im working on this project!

HERES A PICTURE OF THE "NOGOOD" suit... it needs some work and I'm replacing alot of parts-- I figured I would throw this piture in... Remember THIS IS BEFORE ANYTHING NEW HAS BEEN DONE!! =D

chief.jpg

chiefpaint.jpg

This is the Chest and Belt piece... I'm adding some detail in them.. I'm having problems with where I glued the pieces together

I want the pieces to look less connected-- also my armour is not flat and smooth... I think it looks more metal looking like this..

Anyways I'll add more later, my wife has her lunch break! Later 405th

torso.jpg

This is a picture of the problem I'm trying to fix......... ( due to it being made out of pieces of foam.. it shows )

I'm pointing at the connections-- I have made extra lines to try and hide the real ones... * such as the belt piece looks like its got two lines horiztial... DREMEL TOOL :)

problems.jpg

I'm not a foam builder myself, yet, but from what I've read you can stuff the seams with a bit of hot glue and the sand it down.

"stuff the seams with a bit of hot glue and the sand it down"

-I am currently trying this method now :) Bondo has done the best, silicon is too much like rubber and doesnt sand well.

*My current upgrade to this suit will be*
#1 - NEW HELMET BECAUSE THE OLD ONE LOOKS LIKE POO
#2 - Sand down or hide the piece together lines
#3 - Remake Thigh pieces and shoulder pieces using resin and bondo method*
#4 - I may remake shoes or try and work with the foam ones I have already made....
#5 - Get some LIGHTS in the suit =P

#1 - NEW HELMET BECAUSE THE OLD ONE LOOKS LIKE POO

-- currently working on new helmet with bondo and resin progress ( progess is going great this time... )

This is a picture of the old helmet compared to the NEW =D LAUGH AT ME :) i kinda deserve it.. hahaha

newandimprove.jpg

Also pictured below is new visor! IT COST 30 AMERICAN DOLLARS! =D haha... anyways its cool :)

newvisor.jpg

* Im getting very close to completing the helmet... Everything is looking smooth and even, so next will put inserting the visor which is below... - I'm think about putting a screw into the top of the visor
- The red lines show the Wall of Bondo I made for the screw to go into..
( IM SUPER NERVOUS ABOUT THE VISOR INSTALLING PART )

inside.jpg

BELOW this is more random pictures of the helmet as it was being built from paper to resin to rondo to sanding :) Start to current..

paperhelmet.jpg

newproject.jpg

masterchiefready.jpg

blackhelmet.jpg

sidehelmet.jpg

The new helmet is starting to shape up nicely.

Tip: Helmet screws, start with the sides going back into the helmet, and get it to fit that way. If you use this method and make a mistake then you still have allot of visor to work and can make a small patch. I used this method As apposed to going to far forward to the cut out. Trim/cut the visor after you have it all set up. You can mark it from the inside and safely cut it with room to spare.:cool I hope this helps.

Sorry I'm no help on foam build just yet.

Tip: Helmet screws, start with the sides going back into the helmet, and get it to fit that way.

I know I'm going to put a screw in the top for sure... but where do you think on the sides?
I labeled the screws A, B, C, .... for easier explaining hopefully :)

masterchiefscrews.jpg

I know I'm going to put a screw in the top for sure... but where do you think on the sides?

A good resource for face-plate mounting is BLACKULA727's tutorial thread. The contour of your face-plate and your helmet's opening will determine how many connection points you need and where you need to place them.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31352-Tutorial-Install-amp-Detail-your-visor

I've approached this with only providing connection points at the upper and lower middle for the face-plate (I've provided links to a couple of examples below). I have found that this snugs up the plate well and I like to fill in any remaining small gaps with foam or rondo. If there were larger gaps, more connection points would be required to pull the plastic face-plate closer to the helmet's opening.

JFO helmet: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...ld-work-log-(Satchmo-III)?p=551666#post551666
Mark V(b) helmet: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/30987-Noble-six-build-work-log-(Satchmo-III)?p=536610#post536610

Good luck with the rest of your build.

No Bull Satchmo- You know what your talking about =P
Thanks for the helpful hint! So, after that- I'd say I need to get some of that Mighty putty stuff before I try this, and where did you happen to find the weather spring loaded clips? Lowes, walmart, UK??? lol Thanks for your help! And the weather stripping idea is SUPER!!

Goin out to work on suit now :) Later 405th

#3 Remake Thigh and Shoulder pieces -

This is the start of a very long process called " armour building using fiberglass and rondo "

But first let me cut it all out using scissors, and a exo knife- fold using exo knife and glue all the pieces together and soon I will post another picture of the shoulder pieces in 3D! haha, anyways going to work on this on rainy days :)

shoulder.jpg

looking pretty good man =D there might be some warp in some places on the helmet but i could be mistaken, the pics were a little blurry so just a little hard to tell if it was warp or not but otherwise it is looking pretty good, keep it up =D

the pics were a little blurry so just a little hard to tell if it was warp or not but otherwise it is looking pretty good,

Just for you Road Kill- I'm going to get my brother to take a couple pictures with his high tech camera- TONIGHT! SO... come back later and give me your update on my helmet =D

*It was alittle warped, but i played around and fixed the main problem ( i think ) ... the chin or nose was really the only main problem, the back and top look pretty good- I was scared to sand into it because the paper just kinda tears, so I tried to leave as much untouched as I could :)

UPDATE ON HELMET TONIGHT :) with a 500 Dollar camera =P ........ Hope these pictures will be clearer =D

Okay #1 Making of a new helmet - Pictures from a nice camera will be taken tomorrow...my brother broke down on the interstate, so I will post great looking pictures of my new helmet tomorrow...

AS FOR TODAY'S WORK ( took about 3 hours, no lie ) was #2 - Sand down or hide the piece together lines

This is the Butt Plate- I Drew blue lines to show everyone where pieces are glued together
- I drew red lines to show the Fake ( dremel tool ) Lines that I made :)
First original
buttplate1.jpg

Next- Blue is pieces glued together... RED are Fake Dremel tool lines I made..
buttplateblueprint.jpg

I really really liked the butt plate =P anyways... I worked on the chest some too... ( I circled the part I sanded on )
sandingchest1.jpg

UP CLOSE PICTURE OF where i circled..
upclosesand1.jpg

As you can see ... you can tell where I glued the pieces together - but after some fake lines added...and sand some foam down...
upclosesand2.jpg

You end up with something like this after black spray paint is applied...
upclosesand3.jpg

Anyone focus more on the fake lines like i do... or is it still noticable.. COMMENTS PLEASE :)

chestplate1.jpg

( i did do the the other side the same... I also just made this design up as I went.. ) comments :)

IF YOU LOOK CLOSE YOU CAN SEE WHERE MY LIGHTS ARE GOING TO GO.. Im going to have Plenty of lights... =D

New pictures of helmet with a much better Camera below... Road Kill =D

DSC08631.jpg

DSC08630.jpg

DSC08629.jpg

DSC08628.jpg

DSC08634.jpg

My Brother is sleeping... so I had to use my parents camera... still good, just not 500 dollar good.. =P

masterchiefscrews.jpg

I used (A) on mine along with (C) and made it so I can change it out when I'm ready to update it.

Okay, I guess thats what Im going to try and do very soon. I need to first find some nice screws to use :)

I'll go look at the local hardware store today to see my choices.. Thanks for your help Thorn, its very much appreciated :)

I'll post more pictures of further work later tonight... I'll be working on the suit all day =P Later 405th!

I'm posting these pictures because some people may find this helpful....
**The picture below is my set up everytime I pep a file from 110 pound Card Stock
*remember you must scale all pieces of armour before you print them out

That said, I have Scissors, Ruler (only to use to draw straight lines with ULTRA fine sharpie ) NOT TO FOLD!!, Exo-knife to cut half way through the paper- super easy fold then and very clean looking, cutting board so you don't make wives mad :), ULTRA FINE sharpie marker-- The reason I draw lines is because of different folds "aka" Mountain and Valley Folds..

DSC08635.jpg

I use a ruler and ULTRA FINE marker to make lines on the VALLEY Folds only!! ( mountain folds are simple, line already printed )
DSC08636.jpg

Once you marker all the Valley folds, flip your paper and Exo-knife the valley folds...
** LOOK REAL CLOSE BESIDE THE BLACK LINES YOU SEE---the marker goes through the paper just enough so you can exo the other side!!
DSC08643.jpg

*Ill post pictures soon after all pieces are pepped and hot glued together :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back