ODST Full Suit Build with a mix of Hugh's and Kirrou's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good man, if you dont want to use the fiberglass mat.. you could use RONDO ... its about 4/5 cup of bondo and 1/5 of resin... put your bondo hardener in it, stir very well, and then pour it inside the piece of armour

I love this method, never tried the mats, but just a thought :) there is also great forums about rondoing on 405th

Keep up the work, and remember there is 15 pieces of armour... so try to get 2 done every month :)
(I made my armour within 3 weeks out of hot glue and foam mats.. it was alright and currently fixing it up even more =P

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP IT UP!! =D

Thanks for the advice/complement. I want to try Rondo and I probably will on a tester,but not anytime soon because im going to focus on the helmet for awhile. Plus, I actually like the mats idk why but it seems like the right way to do it for me, and I learned that you should never allow the fiberglass mat to harden on a edge where its suspended because its extremely hard to fix and it turns it into little daggers :p

Rondo is not very strong. It's fine if you're displaying the piece and for filling in cracks fiberglass can't reach, but if you intend to wear it, sand/bondo it, cast it, etc, you want to do a proper harden job with fiberglass. But that's just from my experience, whatever works for each person is what works for them!

Looks good man, if you dont want to use the fiberglass mat.. you could use RONDO ... its about 4/5 cup of bondo and 1/5 of resin... put your bondo hardener in it, stir very well, and then pour it inside the piece of armor

OK, my question is How does Rondo not just lump up in the middle? Do you keep turning it or just let it sit and it magically spans outward?

Yes, you simply roll it untill it doesn't roll... I use a paint brush to spread it alittle more ... Rondo is extremly hard ( its mostly bondo ) I have found it to be very easy and extremly fast- Just keep in mind that the inside might not look super smooth or pretty.. not a big deal, bondo cost alot... so the small amount of fiberglass makes it thinner, easier to go farther and spread/roll better. There are some great video's 405th has about using Rondo.. its were I learned it from.
Cool thing about rondo is its much easier to sand then Layers of fiberglass resin.. ( takes awhile longer for me to get through a thin coat on the outside of helmets.. but after i get through that... paper is alittle messy... rondo just sands like butter :)

But IF YOU LIKE THE MATS!! use them!! I know people are gifted in other areas such as foam, clay/putty, and bondo/resin- all different ways and some are better then others =P Keep up the work mainly! and it will look amazing for sure =D no matter the method

Rondo is hard, and easy, but it's brittle. The fiberglass mat/cloth is a matrix that strengthens the resin, the bondo does not work as a matrix, so you get the hardness of bondo, the smoothness of resin (the resin is there so you can slush the bondo around like watering down paints) but none of the strength and durability of the fiberglass mat. I don't recommend using rondo with fiberglass mat though, because a) it won't soak into the mat properly, and b) if you're gonna use mat, it's easier and thinner to just use resin.

You can also change the ratio of bond to resin in rondo, to make it more or less runny, depending on how much slushing you want to do, but generally you want more bondo than resin or else it's water and not as stiff.

I am nearly done with the Left forearm of the WETA ODST it was just a tester but it fits expect for my thumb. So I am thinking about just cutting it a lil bit. Also Here are some more pictures, and as of Thursday I wont really be able to work on it as much because my dads other kids from Arizona are coming here to North Carolina to get to know him and ofc they get my room :p
Picture Time!
ODST Chest as of now, Probably gonna make a Kirrou one in HD
dgdg_by_truevoyage-d4uwzzv.jpg

gsd_by_truevoyage-d4uwzyl.jpg

I think its the right size, but im not sure?
fagaseg_by_truevoyage-d4uwzor.jpg

dfhdfhfh_by_truevoyage-d4uwzmx.jpg

dghdg_by_truevoyage-d4uwzkd.jpg

6_ty_by_truevoyage-d4uwzis.jpg

This is almost done I just need to finish the outline and the extra attache thing...
sf_by_truevoyage-d4uwzh3.jpg

My fat thumb...
rwar__by_truevoyage-d4uwzbf.jpg

Idk just a picture..

Update!!!
I fit it on my arm over my thumb, Just barley though,,,
fdfa_by_truevoyage-d4ux1wb.jpg

mnmbn_by_truevoyage-d4ux1uz.jpg

ffgsggd_by_truevoyage-d4ux1tb.jpg

This one makes my arm look supper long?

Some artsy stuff I did.
sfadfadfdafd_by_truevoyage-d4ux2y9.jpg

These are what i have to make my Visor from.
adfadfadfadf_by_truevoyage-d4ux2wq.jpg

dsgsdgsdg_by_truevoyage-d4ux2vh.jpg

sdgsdg_by_truevoyage-d4ux2sh.jpg

As a final note I think the chest is the right size, but as I said im not sure. So what do you think?

Because of Pic's Limit! Double Post!
And this is how im scaling my armor, and I got the idea for this from a Tut. on thedentedhelmet.com
sdfgfg_by_truevoyage-d4ux2u4.jpg

And Thanks everyone who has helped me, and to the people who are just looking. 650 Views! :p

I tried a Dry Brush method Ive seen on here and that a friend told me about and I think it worked well.
IMG_0835.jpg

Just a test though. :D
UPDATE!
Also I Resined the outside of my Forearm But may end up redoing it because it got wet while curing...
But if it survives then I am going to Fiberglass the inside and start on the Right forearm.
I am still working on my helmet just not as much because it had some problems with the Whole Top side and will probably Reprint it.

I am in the process of Resin/Fiberglassing the Forearm piece right now, and If time permits I will add pictures later. Again sorry for Double post, there are just no other posts.

UPDATE!
I tried the dry brush method on the chest piece and I think it worked well, but I also think it should be a different color.

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

I am going to try and finish Both Forearms Next week, Please tell me what you think about everything.
Please?

Attachments

• IMG_0836.jpg
    IMG_0836.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 152
IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

I take this outside and WaLA a portable work area!

IMG_0848.jpg

These are some of my supplies.

IMG_0847.jpg

Heres the Forearm, I still need to fiberglass one more side and outside again. But the numbers/lines on the inside are a Recycled piece of paper.
IMG_0846.jpg

Heres the Outside and I am working on the Exterior decor right now.

I also bought some gloves and noticed that ALOT of people had them on here. Here's a link.
http://www.amazon.com/Half-Finger-Paintball-Gloves-Large/dp/B00170ZV7E/ref=pd_sim_sg_6

UPDATE!
I finished FG/Resin the Forearm and I wont be on much because I am losing my room for a 5 day week, But I am still gonna try to Cut/Fold the other Forearm and then I am making the Knee Caps ( Easy) And after that Ill start on the Shoulders.

Looking good! Great pretty good progress going!! Full steam ahead captian!

As far as pepping your paper... do you simply use a ruler to fold your bends? I use a exo-knife and its very simple ( don't really have to bend the paper... simply cut the card stock almost all the way through.. and it bends back =P

You look like you know how to use fiberglass and mats well :) keep it up man

The paint looks good- brush method looks nice! :) KEEP IT UP!!

Looking good! Great pretty good progress going!! Full steam ahead captian!

As far as pepping your paper... do you simply use a ruler to fold your bends? I use a exo-knife and its very simple ( don't really have to bend the paper... simply cut the card stock almost all the way through.. and it bends back =P

You look like you know how to use fiberglass and mats well :) keep it up man

The paint looks good- brush method looks nice! :) KEEP IT UP!!

Thanks for the Compliments, makes me feel Spwecial :D
I just fold the folds with my fingers, and this is my second time using fiberglass and resin, so if you have any tips or advice please share :p
Im in my college class right now So ill add the finished Pictures later.
Nevermind...
I cant add them anytime soon because I lost my camera somehow. It weird how you lose stuff even though your not home...
But I am really curious if anyone has been able to kill the Resin smell completely?

Mostly painted pieces, some models not entirely assembled, obvious WIPs... Sounds like a fun project to me! It looks like you've done a good job, but I can't speak from experience. The wrists appear to be small, is this a big problem for you? But still, this looks awesome, and I can't see to how this turns out for you! Best of luck!

The wrists are really, I think the right scale and size but the opening hole on the front end is a little too small. Too fix this I am sanding it like crazy, but I stopped for because I am experimenting with something and if it turns out right I think it will be really cool.
Also I am nearly done with the Exterior decor, just a little bit left on it, but I am curious how should I attach it with resin or glue?

I should be able to work on this Alot more after tommorow. I finished the exterior Details for the wrist but my dog ate it:p so im redoing it and I started cutting out the other wrist, but Now I need more cardstock, and better paints... This is all for now but I hope to have a big update soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back