Sgt Forge's Reach ODST Costume - Foam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt Forge

So I'm starting another costume for a local convention this year, and I'm making almost all the armor parts (excluding the helmet) out of foam. I've been working on it slowly over the past month, and now have something to show.

reach_odst_wip_1_by_izaak94-d4vd3d9.png

Now this is based on my older UNSC Army costume, so I plan to make the ODST pieces removable so I can go back and forth from being both on any occasion. The helmet is from my very old ODST costume that I made when I was 15, but Im fixing it up now with some foam detailing and im going to give it a new visor and paint job.

I have more parts done, but they are from the old Army costume, so I figured I didn't need to show them to you just yet.

Here are some close ups of the parts:
reach_odst_wip_2_by_izaak94-d4vd3xb.jpg

reach_odst_wip_3_by_izaak94-d4vd44x.jpg

reach_odst_wip_4_by_izaak94-d4vd48k.jpg

Still have a bit of detailing work to do on this, mostly just the chin, but some bits on the back too. After I finish the basic ODST helmet I'm going to build the flashlight attachment you can see many of the Reach ODSTs using.

Thanks everyone for the compliments!
Now here are some pics of an update:

reach_odst_wip_pic5_by_izaak94-d4wf2o9.jpg

reach_odst_wip_pic6_by_izaak94-d4wf2qg.jpg

reach_odst_wip_pic7_by_izaak94-d4wf2ts.jpg

reach_odst_wip_pic8_by_izaak94-d4wf2w5.jpg

reach_odst_wip_pic9_by_izaak94-d4wf2yi.jpg

reach_odst_wip_pic10_by_izaak94-d4wf339.jpg

reach_odst_wip_pic11_by_izaak94-d4wf365.jpg

I JUST finished the shin piece in the last picture today. Now all that's left for my legs are my knee pads and the boot pieces. Then the only remaining parts to build are the forearms. After that its just detailing, painting, strapping, and making the soft armor parts, like the vest.

Thanks again everybody! Im glad you like it. Now here is a little update.

reach_odst_wip_pic12_by_izaak94-d4x3b3p.jpg

reach_odst_wip_pic13_by_izaak94-d4x3b66.jpg

reach_odst_wip_pic14_by_izaak94-d4x3b8r.jpg

Now I have this for both shins, but didn't feel like putting them on. There is still a bit to do before I call this section done with construction, but you get the idea. Now I know some of you may be thinking "HEY FORGE< Y U NO WORK ON SHOTGUN" We'll, heres my excuse. I am making this for a COSTUME contest, so the props are second priority. I want to finish the suit, or mostly finish the suit before going back to the shotgun. But trust me it WILL be finished.

Shins look nice. Are you going to paint the armor brown like the bullfrogs or blackish gray like the others?

Thanks, I really like how the shins came out. As for the paint scheme, I plan to have it the brown that my chest piece is already painted. So its going to be a little lighter than the bullfrogs.

Thanks, I really like how the shins came out. As for the paint scheme, I plan to have it the brown that my chest piece is already painted. So its going to be a little lighter than the bullfrogs.

I have my Armor colored satin Oregano which is close to Master chief's armor. Brown will look great, When do you plan on finishing the armor?

I have my Armor colored satin Oregano which is close to Master chief's armor. Brown will look great, When do you plan on finishing the armor?

I hope to work on it next week, All that's left is to fix up my helmet, and make the forearms. Then just painting and strapping

Update!

Yo, nice work. Question, is your helmet pep or foam? If its been said already, I must have missed it.

My helmet was pepped, bondoed and sanded, then detailed with foam. I forgot to mention that in the beginning. I had just said it was old. Hope that cleared things up.

Anyway so here is the update!

reach_odst_wip_pic15_by_izaak94-d4xs63b.jpg

reach_odst_wip_pic16_by_izaak94-d4xs6ah.jpg

reach_odst_wip_pic17_by_izaak94-d4xs6fz.jpg

Im coming to the finish with my basic construction. All thats left after the forearms are the boot toppers. These forearms arent exactly finished, but I figured I'd show you them now, since I havent updated in a bit. I still have a buckle, and a strap to add to both before they are deemed done.

The next step will be to finish detailing my helmet with the foam. Then once that is done, Ill paint and decal the armor, and that will be the end of armor parts. After that its on to undersuit and soft armor, like the vest under the chest piece, and the belt. I will also be making my own custom editions, like hip bags and a holster for my sidearm.

I wanted to add the hip bags since I'll be walking around in a convention, and will have to where to put my loot (LOL) So I figured hip bags were the most efficient form of storage for my costume.

Well, thats the end of this update, hope you come back to see the rest!

Update!

awesome Forge!

Thanks Tyvern!

lol, I always love the colorful armor that foam builds produce :)
Build looks great so far, good progress!

Cheers,
Cereal.

Yeah the colors of foamies are so silly, they always make for the best rainbow warriors. And thanks!

nice job man, you have really good foam work and i like the helmet =D keep up the good work

Thanks, I will try to make everything as best I can!

Alright guys im getting to the end of my construction, and my materials. Im going to have to make another shop run to get some craft foam.

Well, here's tonight's update, a (mostly) finished helmet. I say mostly finished, because this is Halo 3: ODST finished, but Reach ODSTs have an extra little attachment on the side with a flashlight. So I will be building that soon, but the base of the helmet is done. Now I have to make the visor.

I'll quit boring you with words and show some pics! >:D

reach_odst_wip_pic18_by_izaak94-d4xweay.jpg

reach_odst_wip_pic20_by_izaak94-d4xweg9.jpg

reach_odst_wip_pic19_by_izaak94-d4xwecy.jpg

reach_odst_wip_pic21_by_izaak94-d4xwehv.jpg

Now if any of you have seen my old ODST suit from 3 years ago you'd definitely see the great transformation this helmet has undergone. I'm really proud of how it looks now, and practically all of its surface has been covered by foam :p Anyway I'm really happy with the results and cant wait to see it all done up with paints and decals.

That's it for now, but expect more stuff as I start to crunch to get this done as well as my bro's N7 armor before our convention on May 25th. Wish us luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back