Desert OSDT custom variant

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtski

I have been slowly working on a custom ODST and i wanted to wait until i actually had some progress before i share it. The helmet has since been Fiberglassed and everything is pepped except for 1 thigh, 1 shin, 1 shoulder and the cod armor plate. Most of it has 1 coating of resin and some have 2 coats. Waiting on more resin to get here then i will be fiberglassing the insides. The concept is a Desert ODST and will have an ACU base uniform and sand color as the armor base color. The green from the ACU will be a light digital pattern on the thigh and forearm armor. The chest piece and the accent on the helmet will be the same green as well. I will have some test fit pics when all of the armor is pepped and hardened.
Here are some pics of progress.
My MKVI and ODST helmets.
469688_3208219038284_1050422510_33161434_1741531632_o.jpg

This was custom made and will be on the chest.
527889_3324268459447_1050422510_33214843_839183807_n.jpg

Here are some parts drying with resin on the outside
385659_3317647333923_1050422510_33211598_1294656654_n1.jpg

And 2 pics of the armor laid out.
540395_3361780037213_1050422510_33236717_1921438935_n.jpg

562275_3361775077089_1050422510_33236711_1467669257_n-1.jpg

This week i am working to finish the pep and start sanding the helmet some more.
I am not going to focus on doing a super job sanding and finishing the precise details until i get home, i will be making this wearable and painted and some sanding. I will finish it and add more detail at home before i mold it and make a copy of it.

I think you have done an amazing job with the pep work on this build. Best of luck with the rest.:)

the crappy iphone 3g camera hides a lot of the flaws bit thanks. better pics on next update.

from here they look just fine. you've got some neat pep skills there, i had to look twice to make sure they weren't cast in white poly they look so clean. where do you plan on putting the iron on patch. i think it would be a nice touch...

the patch is velcro and i will be putting it in the center of the chest. Similar idea to military unit patches on the sleeves but different. I know its not cannon but WTH. It will look cool. Working to source some paints and waiting for more Epoximate to arrive so i can fiberglass the insides of the parts. I originally pepped the neck and back torso piece but i think i might switch to the chect core by HUGH i think. All other pieces are pepped. I am off tomorrow and i will take a better pick with all the parts laid out and some better close ups. Another thing i am thinking of is how to assemble the 3 piece shoulder. its pepped but i am having a little trouble thinking of an easy way to keep it together. I'm hoping something comes to me when i get to it.

YO! finally someone has about the same idea as I do. Here's something you could probably do- This is what I plan on doing. Find somewhere (internet or otherwise) that sells ACU pattern duct tape. After fiberglassing and finishing our helmet add strips of the ACU patterned tape. Aligning them as carefully as possible. Then coat the tape in clear protective coating. Thus, you have your ACU patterned equipment.

It sounds silly, but it's just an idea. Its cheap and hopefully effective enough. Good luck on your project though, I'm going to stay on top of this one. :)

Cool idea to use the ACU tape. Im not going full ACU. Im going to make a stencil and put a light amount of darker digital style accents on all the armor and use the same darker Foliage green for the chest, strip on helmet and the camo on the thighs and forearms will be a heavier digital accent. Dont expect greatness with the sanding since im not using bondo until i get home. I will be sanding the 2 coats of epoximate down to remove drips and try to smooth out the fold lines a little then finish it to a greater detail when i get home to make molds.

the patch is velcro and i will be putting it in the center of the chest. Similar idea to military unit patches on the sleeves but different. I know its not cannon but WTH. It will look cool. Working to source some paints and waiting for more Epoximate to arrive so i can fiberglass the insides of the parts. I originally pepped the neck and back torso piece but i think i might switch to the chect core by HUGH i think. All other pieces are pepped. I am off tomorrow and i will take a better pick with all the parts laid out and some better close ups. Another thing i am thinking of is how to assemble the 3 piece shoulder. its pepped but i am having a little trouble thinking of an easy way to keep it together. I'm hoping something comes to me when i get to it.

DAM U!!!! lol. I skipped this post :) I had the idea of placing a custom name tape (UNSC) above my name tape, then a rank tape below it. Then I was going to put my unit's patch on the shoulder. And have another name tape on the rear of the helmet at the base. I think I'm going to like your results already lol. SUBSCRIBING TO THIS ONE!!!!

Also I don't plan on making the entire armor ACU patterned. I am going to make it a gun metal grey or just a soft black, and have the ACU in certain locations (like a stripe of it going through the center of the top of the helmt.) and maybe a part of the ears. Me and you need to talk >:|

Oh I hope that rank tape isn't yours. If so, dam you again. I'm only a E-3 (Private First Class) What you could do is, add the tapes your shoulder tapes as part of your armor. Like me, since I'm with the 53rd Infantry Division, and that being part of the Florida National Guard, I
m going to use those for my shoulders. Also You can take your rank tape (or get more) and place it on your chest piece (Right where it angles down a bit.) Anyway, I got the idea one day when working I looked over and there was my uniform, and I took it from there. I love to see another ACU ODST!

um, if you are planning on doing desert, why are you doing ACU? ust a nagging question thats been bothering me.

Well, i am glad you asked. To clear things up.....
I have Acu uniform that i will use as the base uniform.
My current environment is the desert.
The light color base in ACU is a tan color. I am using the tan as a base color for the armor. I will lightly add the acu digital pattern to the thighs and forearms to mimic the style of the ODST coloration. The acu pattern will only be the addition of the foliage green from the ACU uniform. The chest and the stripe on the helmet will be the foliage green as well. I am thinking about this more and more and i wish i could draw and put my idea in color on paper. I should have had the patch made with the foliage green instead of the DCU brown. If i was wearing DCU's it would make more sense. It may change as i start painting it but supplies are limited and it will all be sanded down and re detailed when i get home anyway.

Because this idea is inspired by my uniform. I want to be able to wear it for fun before i leave and have it match somewhat to what i am stuck wearing underneath it.

well it would be really cool if we could get like snow ODSTs, desert ODSTs along with the regular ODSTs. make something like STAR WARS with the clone troopers....

Variety is a good thing. I should have some fiberglass work done and the chest core from Hughs done this weekend.

I REALLY want to see how you're pulling this one off. I've run into this problem and I'm sure you either already have or will soon. But my combat boots don't fit through the shin piece... If you can think of something creative please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back