Mjolnir mk VI build (paper mache) pic heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.
what could be perceived as a small popping sound from your side of the world i assure you was quite a loud explosion where i am right here. i would have heard it myself, but unfortunately when my head exploded, my ears got blown off...

i just can't believe that this is just paper. the lot of it. crazy... and that helmet is just... wow, i have no words to describe how awesome it looks for paper mache. i think sir, that you single handedly just made fiberglass near obsolete in armour building. kudos to you. i'm subscribing to this thread for sure :) ...

I am so, so glad that I dropped into this thread! That helmet is absolutely unbelievable! I really like how you've described your papier mache method - it sounds time-consuming but looks utterly brilliant! Pretty effective, there! Thanks again for sharing! I'm looking forward to seeing more of what you do! Are you wearing it to any events in the UK? Expo, perhaps?

Love the progress! Keep it up! I started my build senior year college. So I know how it is. I just liked to build in spare time between working, class, and studying. It's a good stress relief.

erayachi

So amazing! Your latest pic also proves your pepping skills outweigh mine. What are you going to seal it with (and hold it together) once the paper and paint is done? I imagine all those layers of paper strips may end up peeling off if it flexes too much or gets wet.

Also yes, you can sand paper clay down as smooth as you'd like. I can get expensive though; that's why I switched. The stuff I'm using is shredded paper fiber (also called paper mache in craft stores) that you mix with water and turn into a thick paste that can be smoothed on in thick coats. It also can be sanded down to a perfectly smooth finish when dry. It's requires more labour than the clay, but it's more bang for the buck.

Edit: I'm adding this link here to show you what I mean about my kind of paper mache. I have a small box of it and a little goes a long way.

http://www.amazon.com/AMACO-Claycret...4&sr=1-3-spell

thankyou :) had a look at your mk VI build, its looking really good. must be hard work tho, especially all that glueing paper to cardstock so you can pep it. i do like how the paperclay works out :)
well all the paper strips are torn newspaper so the fibres at the edges can bond, i used slightly water down weldbond (a really strong white glue) to stick each piece down with, and they were pretty saturated with the glue mix, and then gave the whole helmet another coat after it had dried, then painted several coats of acrylic paint over that. it doesnt really flex because of this so hopefully i wont have any peeling. as to contact with water...i have no idea, if the layers of acrylic arent enough then maybe a clear spray coating of that waterproofer they sell at sports and outdoors stores for clothes and footware.
thanks for the link :) after seeing it i was able to find a recipe online, im planning to make my own version of it to try out.

Stiilus

what could be perceived as a small popping sound from your side of the world i assure you was quite a loud explosion where i am right here. i would have heard it myself, but unfortunately when my head exploded, my ears got blown off...

i just can't believe that this is just paper. the lot of it. crazy... and that helmet is just... wow, i have no words to describe how awesome it looks for paper mache. i think sir, that you single handedly just made fiberglass near obsolete in armour building. kudos to you. i'm subscribing to this thread for sure ...

hahaha, thankyou :) thats quite a compliment, im not sure paper mache could ever match some of the fibreglass armours out there though, i hope more people do try paper mache as a method, then hopefully it would develop more as people find new and better ways to build with it.
Just want to add that your golden yellow mk V variant and mk VI EVA prototype are awesome! the detail inside both is a great addition too :) i'll definately be watching for more of your work.

Timelady

I am so, so glad that I dropped into this thread! That helmet is absolutely unbelievable! I really like how you've described your papier mache method - it sounds time-consuming but looks utterly brilliant! Pretty effective, there! Thanks again for sharing! I'm looking forward to seeing more of what you do! Are you wearing it to any events in the UK? Expo, perhaps?

Thank you :) and yes very time consuming, but its nice to just spend an evening doing it, especially after long days at college and coursework. id like to at some point :) i just dont know much about any of the uk events, like what ones there are and when and where.

thehunter7

Love the progress! Keep it up! I started my build senior year college. So I know how it is. I just liked to build in spare time between working, class, and studying. It's a good stress relief.

thanks :) and it is a good stress relief, just hard to fit it in at the moment, at least by june no more college for the summer so i'll actually be able to get it done at a reasonable pace haha :)

Quite the different approach. Will follow along to see how this turns out.

Hi Dave thanks for following, I know its a really late reply... but your mk VI helm is incredible! you put in detail i didnt even know existed until now. Its definately inspired me to try and include much more detail from now on :D

When I saw paper Mache in the thread I was skeptical.
When I saw the final helmet I was about to call foul play, that is absolutely amazing for a method I thought obsolete.
nice job.

So I'm back, finally have time to start it up again and have some updates for you all, i've pretty much finished the paper mache helmet, bought a gold mirror visor, cut it to shape for the cheek indents and finally fitted it. I also managed to find the Ribbed pipe for the front sides of the helmet and added some more weathering to make it blend in.
Heres the completed helmet on a temporary stand
155517_10151313483431694_1647707959_n.jpg

and here are the helmet close-ups
184956_10151313483661694_1364290663_n.jpg

12820_10151313483741694_560435583_n.jpg

I've now pepped the right forearm and codpiece, so here is everything i've pepped/made so far
407722_10151313483561694_240617792_n.jpg

Amazing work! I admit I almost skipped over this thread when I saw it was being done in papier mache, but DAAAAAAANG! You made it work, and it looks better than a lot of bondo work I've seen. Major props!! The detail work is beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back