PROJECT: Zaku II (costume)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiltonican

Jr Member
Going to go to the anime convention this weekend, and I'm not going alone! So, I need to bring my daughter. And of course, she won't be going without a costume to accompany daddy! So, I need another classic. Zaku II

This build will be have no compromise in safety as this is for a 4 year old. I need to expect the worst case scenario. Which is her visibility is so limited that she'll fall flat on her face. So, this mask needs to both protect her in a fall and NOT have any sharp objects that can cut her up. If she gets hurt, mommy won't like that.

My approach will be different than my Gundam build. It'll be made almost entirely of foam. Exercise mats (or mini cell foam) to be exact. They're the ones that can interlock with each other. Super dense, super safe, and super easy to work with.

The requirements:
- It needs to be super light
- Great visibility
- Biggest requirement: Be her favourite colour: shiny and purple

Let's begin!
As with the Gundam build, I'm going for the SD look. Chibi-style. Big head on little body. This works great as this give lots of headroom.

Shell Formation
This build will be fast. I won't be going through the CG and Pepakura process. I'm going to build it the old fashion way. By eye!

Here's the initial formation of the shell.

Cutting it into strips. Heat gun to warm up the foam so it's pliable. Shape it over the form. Holding it for a few seconds until it cools. Once the foam cools, it'll hold it's shape.
IMG_6843.jpg

Using my daughter's bicycle helmet for the form.
IMG_6840.jpg

IMG_6841.jpg

repeat with all the shapes this way...
IMG_6845.jpg

Then hot glue them all together:
IMG_6846.jpg

Again... with the test fitting:
IMG_6857.jpg

IMG_6858.jpg

The muzzle:
IMG_6861.jpg

IMG_6862.jpg

IMG_6863.jpg

IMG_6864.jpg

Tools I used:
- Hot knife
- mini saw
- X-acto mini saw (thin)
IMG_6867.jpg

Visor cut:
IMG_6877.jpg

IMG_6883.jpg

Nostril cannisters:
IMG_6891.jpg

IMG_6892.jpg

IMG_6893.jpg

Bevelling the cylinder:
IMG_6894.jpg

Cutting out the side windows:
IMG_6898.jpg

Making the sausage links:
Using the router attachment with the Dremel tool. Taking out some material on the underside, so rolling the mat up would be easier.
IMG_6904.jpg

IMG_6905.jpg

IMG_6907.jpg

IMG_6908.jpg

IMG_6912.jpg

IMG_6913.jpg

It looks good so far, you have good skill in the rubber eva, I love your tool (hot knife) and behaves with the rubber eva? leaves clean edges?
IMG_6867.jpg

Se ve bien hasta ahora, usted tiene buena habilidad para con la goma eva, me gusta mucho su herramienta (cuchillo caliente) como se comporta con la goma eva? deja los bordes limpios?

Toja: Yes, the hot knife is awesome. Almost perfect clean cuts. The only thing I don't like about using it is, like a hot glue gun, you have the warm up period when you first plug it in. There's no on/off switch. There are a lot of moments of me just sitting there waiting. But, honestly, any good fresh blade would give a clean cut. You just have to make sure you cut on the same angle as your last stroke. (if that make sense)

I understand perfectly, thanks for your time I'll be watching their progress, successes

entiendo a la perfeccion, gracias por su tiempo estare mirando sus progresos, exitos

This is so neat! You're making this so fast and I like seeing all the little steps you're doing. Good luck getting it done in time. Make sure to post pictures from the con! I'd love to see you two in your awesome suits.

thanks coldevil123!

Nothing like a hard deadline to motivate your progress! I'll finish up both my costumes tonight, if things work out. Then i'll give me a day break. I've been hard at this for too many nights now.

The Mono-Eye lens:
There's no way around this one. I originally didn't want to use plastic in this project in fear of it being a possible hazard. If my daughter falls, it can cut into her. But, it's the only way I can think of to do this and look good. O well, I'll keep an "eye" on her. (hehe sorry)

Starts out with a piece of lexan clear plastic.
IMG_7209.jpg

Heated in the toaster oven for a few seconds. Once it got soft, I quickly took it out and put it over my form. Which is my paint can. The only thing around the house that I can find that has the diameter. Whatever works!
IMG_7210.jpg

IMG_7211.jpg

Took it to my belt sander. Sand the excess off to get the desired shape. My paper template as my guide.
IMG_7212.jpg

Done. Perfect fit.
IMG_7214.jpg

Had some leftover auto tint. Some scraps in the box was perfect for this!
IMG_7217.jpg

IMG_7218.jpg

IMG_7220.jpg

Cut out a circle for the "mono-eye" effect. More vision for the girl. This hole should be red. But the only thing i can find around the house was some red cellaphane. (Not even sure what that was for... it's my wife's. Please don't tell her I cut a corner out of it!!! haha)
IMG_7223.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back