Clayegendary Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigma LS

Sr Member
I want to make my own molded helmet but my skills are less than par so I thought I'd be the first to attempt to make the Legendary helm bigger.

My method is to add an equal amount of clay to each segment and maintain detail. I'll do the visor last.

I'm going to do the left half first to determine the overall thickness needed. I am also altering a few parts to keep everything in proportion.

Here is my progress after 3 hours, I'm using super sculpy.

HPIM1046.jpg

HPIM1048.jpg

HPIM1047.jpg

Haha! Thats pretty wicked Sigma!

There are a few places that need work, otherwise it looks good!

But personally, I am not going to put clay anywhere NEAR my awesome Legendary Helmet :p.

Keep up the good work, and keep us updated!

-Doom

Nah, when your done just pull the clay off and use some Goo Gone to get the residew off.

Goo-Gone may kill that factory paint.

You have to bake super sculpy otherwise it wont set, what are you going to do?

The super sculpy should be hard enough to make a mold out of it if he's careful. He'll just have to make sure he doesn't squeeze it too hard when handling it. Someone else posted about a product that expands after it leaves a mold about 60%. It'll probably take a few runs of "Make the mold, cast it in that stuff, make another mold of that, cast it again" before it get's big enough to be wearable.

Edit: found it

http://www.industrialpolymers.com/water_ab..._urethanes.html

Thanks everyone.

That expanding stuff looks promising and with the measurements I've made, doing one cast of the helm should be enough.

I'm going to go ahead and order my molding materials, as well as some casting resin and some of that material.

I just bought another legendary helm case off of ebay so I'm not worried about ruining this one. I'll keep working on the clay for now and then try both methods and see which one I like best.

Updates soon!

Not sure if it would work for this application, but an excellent two-part epoxy clay is by Aves Studios. www.avesstudios.com
They have a couple different types, but all provide a material with high detail capability. And, best of all, no baking! Air dries in a few hours. Great stuff to work with.

Hollis DZC said:
Not sure if it would work for this application, but an excellent two-part epoxy clay is by Aves Studios. www.avesstudios.com
They have a couple different types, but all provide a material with high detail capability. And, best of all, no baking! Air dries in a few hours. Great stuff to work with.

What's the work time on that?

Ha ha. Finally found the site. You get 2-3 hours and takes 24hrs to totally cure. Good find!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hollis DZC said:

I use apoxy sculpt regularly, and it will adhere great, but alas too well. It will ruin your helmet in a heartbeat. It will never come off cleanly. It leaves a residue on your hand, especially if you use the black stuff.

As for the Hydrospan expanding, it takes forever and contracts back to its normal shape, stuff to be careful with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update, almost all of the left side is done. I took a couple of artistic liberties in the groove depth and the vents, but that's because I want this to be my helm not just a clone of the legendary (though I will do that too). Anything else I screwed up on please point it out so I can fix it (I'm sure I messed something up)

The weight of the clay is making it lean a little in the pics.

Bluerealm and Sean's helms have been a great reference for both sizing and detailing.

HPIM1050.jpg

HPIM1051.jpg

HPIM1049.jpg

HPIM1052.jpg

Hey I have been looking into this for some time and I was wondering how do you get the helmet out of the clay without ruining either?

I'm going to sand it after I make the first mold. That's what I have the most experience with and I know I can do it right.

As for saving the game case, I don't really know if I will be able to so I bought a second one. Considering that sculpy usually bonds to the plastic a little, probably not.

Sculpey comes off with a little paint thinner... unfortunately that'll also ruin your finish.

Maybe an opportunity to make yourself a custom painted Legendary case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back