Not so Mini gun. aka: NSMG 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icon Props

Member DIN
S007
Here goes.
I got side tracked from my halo 4 mark VII foam build, & needed a new weapon to carry anyways.
Lets start with: the NSMG-1 is no specific Mini gun. It's just my made up Mini gun

I started with the barrels
6 barrels, 1 inch PVC held together by 1/4 inch PVC board.
The center shaft is a 1" piece of wood dowl rod.
gun1.jpg
[/IMG]

I used 2. 1" roller bearings along with some nylon gears I found at work off some old discarded machine (origins unknown).
gun2.jpg
[/IMG]

Next i needed a motor.
I went to a local pawn shop & found an old royobi 18vt drill, the same that I have at home. My batteries that I already have will fit so that I eliminated having to buy new batteries, I took that appart & salvaged the motor.
gun3.jpg
[/IMG]

I made the mounts to hold the motor in place out of wood. It's cheap and easy to work with. The belt is a small gear belt with teath notched into it. They help deal with tension issues & are very forgiving.

gun4.jpg
[/IMG]

There is still a lot finishing work to do, detail work, handals, paint, ect....
I should have it finished in a few days.
& yes, the barrels spin:cool

gun6.jpg
[/IMG]
gun7.jpg
[/IMG]

I started painting it today:

gun8.jpg
[/IMG]

I should have this finished up by the end of the week.
Thanks for looking. (thats my son in the last pic not me):D
Jim

This is awesome mate!
I thought about using that sort of motor before for a similar project but I was afraid of it not working, this is ingenious!! Now I know it'll work! haha
If you get a chance can you post a video of it spinning?

Using an old drill for rotation is pretty nice.
The only way to improve that now would be if you could get a sound clip to play at the same time.
But that could scare people. Lolol.

I added a little more to it tonight.
More paint plus hydrolic lines. I came up with an easy way to make hydrolic looking lines.

11.jpg
[/IMG]

14.jpg
[/IMG]

13.jpg
[/IMG]

122.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for looking.
I still have a little more to go.

Might be too late since you're nearly finished, but you should consider adding a light at the base so that as the barrels rotate, the barrel on the top of the gun's muzzle appears to flash. Should be relatively simple, but you may have to put some kind of acrylic or other light diffusing material in the business end of the barrels so you can see it more easily. Even without that detail, though, this build is already fantastic. Keep up the good work!

I was looking into making a mold of some 50 cal. bullets that I have to hang off the side on my almost finished mini gun.
Then I started playing around with PVC and wood dowl rod. Here's what I came up with. I think Im going to not make the mold & just go ahead & make another 96 more of these.
What do think?
specs:
6 inches long
3/4 diameter.

g2-1.jpg
[/IMG]
g3.jpg
[/IMG]
g1-1.jpg
[/IMG]

The goal for a prototype is to find & make improvements to the final product.
I redesigned the overall shape to mimmic a live 50 cal. round a little better than the 5 prototypes.

Production started Friday night. I'd like to have about 100 of them by the time I'm finished
(I'm still working on the belt that will hold them all in line).

04.jpg
[/IMG]
02.jpg
[/IMG]
05.jpg
[/IMG]
03.jpg
[/IMG]

thanks for looking.

It looks awesome. The attention to detail is great. Even the rounds turned out looking great. I love it:cool

In regards to a few unposted coments I've received:
The're not exact & I know this, but without making a mold of the real ones the're close enough for me.
The real 50 cal. are a little shorter, but as far as visual impact goes I wanted them a bit larger anyways.

b2.jpg
[/IMG]
b1.jpg
[/IMG]

The belt ended up being a bigger project than I thought.
The're finished now. Each one of them was constucted from a piece 3/4 piece of PVC topped off with 5/8 wood dowl rod, sanded to a semi point & painted. Sounds easy doesn't it. There's a little more to it than that but not much. I should add that they were very time consuming. The tuff part was keeping them all identical. :cool

bbme.jpg
[/IMG]
bbwg.jpg
[/IMG]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back