What is this paint finish called?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadoKat

And how do I get it? I was walking through Best Buy this weekend and sitting on a display stand was a Dyson vacuum with an orange top that had a paint job that I thought would be just PERFECT for the orange parts of my Samus build. Here's a link to the product (but, obviously, all I care about is the paint)...

http://www.dyson.com/store/product.asp?product=DC39-MULTIFLOOR

I've seen this paint finish on a number of plastic parts (computer mice, clocks, etc.), and in different colors (this was the first time I've seen it in orange, but I've seen it in blue, green, and silver, as well), but it looks metallic (I had to touch it to be sure). It has kind of a satiny sheen to it, is non-reflective and, depending on the angle from which it's viewed, looks almost as if it could color-shift to black at the far edge of view.

I've been trying to Google it all weekend, but have had no luck so far. So, as the topic says, does anyone know what is this paint finish, and how to achieve it? Thanks in advance!

My knowledge of paint is extremely limited, but it almost reminds me of the "chameleon" paint like you find on some of the TVR cars.

-Matt

ya, unfortunately that effect is a pearl thats added directly to the plastic during casting of the piece. but like stated by lone howler, you can achieve that with a pearlescent paint, if you can find it. or its done with a base coat color of paint a pearl added to a clear coat, though this requires your own spray equipment (compressor, air brush/gun, and knowledge of mixing two part paints) i MIGHT find some clear coat spray cans with pearls, buuuut it's usually always a mica (metallic) not a true pearl so it isn't the same effect.

ya, unfortunately that effect is a pearl thats added directly to the plastic during casting of the piece. but like stated by lone howler, you can achieve that with a pearlescent paint, if you can find it. or its done with a base coat color of paint a pearl added to a clear coat, though this requires your own spray equipment (compressor, air brush/gun, and knowledge of mixing two part paints) i MIGHT find some clear coat spray cans with pearls, buuuut it's usually always a mica (metallic) not a true pearl so it isn't the same effect.

ALSA Corp. makes exactly what you're talking about. Pearlescent spray cans.

They're expensive, but from the looks of it, they're about the best you can find short of having a shop custom-make spraycans for you.

It looks like the best way to get that finish is to spray a layer of silver, and then a candy orange, or some other kind of transparent orange paint.

The idea is that the silver base coat will show through, and the orange will give it some dimension and color.
Dupli Color Candy Coat
paint_shop_candy2.jpg

Dupli Color has Candy Orange, but it is only sold in quarts, so you would need a spray gun, or an air brush. If you plan on doing an entire suit, a quart will be much cheaper in the end.

You can probably use any silver as a base coat, and try to find an orange transparent paint in a can, but most likely you will have to use a spray gun. This is also something that will take some practice to get right. Getting the transparent color as even as possible will be difficult.

I just had another idea. Duplicolor also has a spray can paint that is called Metalcast. It work very similar to the candy coat, but is intended to go directly on metal. They have an orange color, and you may want to give that a try first. Same thing, put down the silver as a base coat, and then do the orange.
Dupli Color Metalcast
1155d1282418901-duplicolor-metalcast-paints-red-orange-side-view.jpg

Hope this helps.

Wow, thanks to all that replied!! I will definitely look into all of these suggestions, and have found a few of my own, as well. It's not going to be cheap, but I didn't expect it would be. I don't mind adding to the resin during casting... one idea I had was Smooth-On's Cast Magic system, which might be their version of the process Cinderblock and LoneHowler described. The only issue with that is that I had BETTER like the color, because I can't paint over it without losing the effect! Also, CSwick's pearlescent spray can find led me to other manufacturers with similar products, as well as other paint systems and mica paint additives. Oh, and JUSTINIAN, that orange is SUPERB, and those other pics look really super great as well!! I have looked at the "metallic base/candy coat" system before, but in my experiments I couldn't get them to turn out right. Maybe I need to practice more, or actually bite the bullet and get an airbrush kit. Admittedly, while I'm not too keen on going that direction, I'm finding that spray cans really limit color and finish choices, and I really don't fancy using a paint brush for this hobby. Then again, if I can get something "good enough for now" in cans, I may try to stay with them. I will have to check out the Metalcast, it may be close to what what I'm looking for.

OH, and here's an idea I just had, a HYBRID of pearlescent and candy? A metal base, covered with pearlescent, then covered with candy? Whatcha think? I may just try it!

There do seem to be an awful lot of options... the hard part (besides the execution, of course) is to find out what I'll actually go with! Only two more years before I start painting, so I better start making some decisions! Thanks again, everyone, and please keep the suggestions coming!

You can actually get a pretty decent airbrush setup on eBay. I think I paid around $200 for mine, after shipping, brand new.

The kit I got has an Iwata HP-BCS (bottom/siphon feed) dual action airbrush, paint bottles, 25ft braided hose,airbrush cleaning compound (though I just use paint-thinner lol) and an AirbrushDepot TC-20 piston-type tankless compressor.

I believe I got it from TCPGlobal.

For the price, I think it was well justified considering the airbrush alone at hobby-lobby was marked at $180 lol And it can do everything from large-spray areas to super-thin lines.

One. go to you're local Hobby shop they sell compressed air systems for paint canned paint. This will get you around the air brush but would take forever to do a whole suit. Second you can get this look using rubs but you have to make sure to buy one that would work with the clear-coat that you have in you're area. Third and this one takes some skill you can blend you're paint to get the same shadows and hit it with a good high gloss clear-coat. fourth you can go to a auto body have then mix and/or paint it for you. Those are the choices you have without a airbrush. It can be done at home but you'll have to practice. And yes I would have to say that all the above post are all very good and will give you a great finish. I my self would go to the auto body have them mix it for me and buy it from them.

Edit: I left out the dickblick's High-gloss. This is a water based additive you could make you're candied paint from this and brush it on it works well with any water based paint.

It looks like the best way to get that finish is to spray a layer of silver, and then a candy orange, or some other kind of transparent orange paint.

The idea is that the silver base coat will show through, and the orange will give it some dimension and color.
Dupli Color Candy Coat
paint_shop_candy2.jpg

Dupli Color has Candy Orange, but it is only sold in quarts, so you would need a spray gun, or an air brush. If you plan on doing an entire suit, a quart will be much cheaper in the end.

You can probably use any silver as a base coat, and try to find an orange transparent paint in a can, but most likely you will have to use a spray gun. This is also something that will take some practice to get right. Getting the transparent color as even as possible will be difficult.

I just had another idea. Duplicolor also has a spray can paint that is called Metalcast. It work very similar to the candy coat, but is intended to go directly on metal. They have an orange color, and you may want to give that a try first. Same thing, put down the silver as a base coat, and then do the orange.
Dupli Color Metalcast
View attachment 164084

Hope this helps.
yes this is helpful to me. thanks for your sharing !

It is very hard to get an even coat of candy paint with an airbrush because it's translucent. Each new layer will darken the previous layer. Using an airbrush for big areas will most likely end up with streaks. You need a hvlp gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back