Props Halo Reach AI Transfer Case aka "The Package"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedi Ranger

Member DIN
S777
Something I have been wanting to build for a while now, was the AI Transfer Case that Dr. Halsey stores Cortana's fragment in and passes to Noble 6, for hand-delivery to Captain Keys. I finally got to started about a month ago, sketching, measuring, and making notes. I finally went shopping for parts about two weeks ago. One thing that I was undecided on was the internal electronics, specifically the LED lighting. Lots of LEDs would increase build time and complexity, but probably result in a brighter overall appearance. Whereas a large single LED in each end would make things much simpler and faster to build. I almost settled on the single LED per end, when I came across cheap super-bright 5mm LEDS at an electronics store.

So, the final build includes 8x5mm bright blue LEDS per end, each powered with its own 2AA power supply (for longer run times!). As I forgot to pick up a DPDT switch when I was shopping, I had to make due with two SPST switches. Battery packs are both in the bottom, and wiring is threaded through one of the aluminum tubes to the top, for the switches and upper LED array.

The main case is 3"OD polycarbonate hand-sanded on the exterior. The ends are cheap paint cups, the handle is sintra and wood, and the black rings are 3 layers of 6mm sintra, each. When I get a chance, I will be looking for some caps for the tube ends.

The whole thing is VERY light-weight!

On with the pictures.
IMAGE_335.jpg

IMAGE_336.jpg

IMAGE_337.jpg

IMAGE_338.jpg

IMAGE_339.jpg

IMAGE_340.jpg

IMAGE_341.jpg

IMAGE_342.jpg

IMAGE_343.jpg

IMG_1955%28cropped%29.jpg

IMG_1956%28cropped%29.jpg

IMG_1957%28cropped%29.jpg

IMG_1959%28cropped%29.jpg

Wow, very sweet. You made the right choice with the multi led arrays. I also notice one of my cortanas there, looks good. :D

Very neat build, great job. I'd love to do something like this someday. It kind of looks like a portable bug-zapper.

Thanks everyone!

I already have an upgrade planned: modify the power supply so I can plug it into the wall, and not waste batteries! I am thinking some sort of USB adapter.

so do you have a supplies list for this build? I'd like to tackle this once I have some more moolah. lol

Thanks everyone!

Supplies list:
6mm sintra
3" ODx8" long polycarbonate tube
wiring + solder + heat-shrink
2x SPST latching rocker switches (since I didn't have a single DPDT switch)
16x 5mm high-bright blue LEDs
2x cheap "paint cups" from a hobby and craft store
2x 2AA battery holders
4x AA alkaline batteries
8x 5/16"OD x 7" long aluminum tubes
3/4" ODx3 1/8" long wood dowel
2x drywall screws
4x rivets and matching washers
2x plastic screw counter-sink washers/grommets (sorry, can't remember the correct term atm)
black paint
nickle shimmer paint

*I still need to pick up 16 small pieces to cap the tube ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back