iron man foam helmet w.i.p

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMAG0127.jpg

When you work with foam, you need to think 3 dimensionally. The template you use from Pepakura is in 2 dimension. When you translate that to foam, you are dealing with another face (depth of the foam).

To hide the edges, you need to cut at an angle, as previously mentioned in my earlier post. Let me illustrate with a quict 3D image I put together.

FoamConnect.jpg
The chin piece is the Iron Man bottom piece. You cut at the red line. The jaw is illustrated by the rectangle. You cut at the red line at an angle. Put some hot glue on edge of A and B. Butt both pieces together. Next apply more glue on the inside. Now you have a complete piece

If you do it correctly, it shoud look like this.
Glued.jpg

Hope that helps.

You are amazing at this, yeah i understand now to this miny tutorial that you have giving me, i will do a war machine gauntlet that is very simple less curve pieces as you can see the one that stealth used on he' tutorial and will apply this method since i understand yours better. Once i finish i will post the gauntlet so you can tell me if i did it right youst like every piece that ive uploaded that you have helped me. This is the gautlet am using , the same as he's so it's simple and hope that all goes well since i have to do angle cuts there to be able to put it all together. Thank's for your help i'll keep you posted.

When you work with foam, you need to think 3 dimensionally. The template you use from Pepakura is in 2 dimension. When you translate that to foam, you are dealing with another face (depth of the foam).

To hide the edges, you need to cut at an angle, as previously mentioned in my earlier post. Let me illustrate with a quict 3D image I put together.

FoamConnect.jpg
The chin piece is the Iron Man bottom piece. You cut at the red line. The jaw is illustrated by the rectangle. You cut at the red line at an angle. Put some hot glue on edge of A and B. Butt both pieces together. Next apply more glue on the inside. Now you have a complete piece

If you do it correctly, it shoud look like this.
Glued.jpg

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am making the ironman helmet right now and I upload some pictures in my photobucket account to show you how I cut and glue the piece that you have trouble with so look in there it might help you.

MMMMM ok yeah it look's awesome, thank's alot sandy for having patience with me lol . I will try again then since practice make's perfect (alot of practice that is) XD . Once you finish it can you post it so i can see it all perfectly done?
I am making the ironman helmet right now and I upload some pictures in my photobucket account to show you how I cut and glue the piece that you have trouble with so look in there it might help you.

Well finally i finished my war machine left gauntlet and it took me 5 hour's , i took it slow , cut everything neet, glue everything properly although there a couple of woops but am pretty happy how it came out since it was a test to learn the angle cut's so i loved how it came out , it may not be perfect but i'll try to fix that might give it a battle damage and fix it a bit but yeah. i hope i did it right , really put alot of effort!. If anybody know's how to give it a little fix please let me know so it can look more awesome then it already is.Thank you everybody for helping me out and keeping me motivated, sorry to be a husle , but i finally learned thank you all!

IMAG0136.jpg

IMAG0137.jpg

IMAG0141.jpg

IMAG0140.jpg

IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0139.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0143.jpg

IMAG0144.jpg

IMAG0145.jpg

IMAG0146.jpg

IMAG0147.jpg

IMAG0148.jpg

IMAG0149.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

Looks good now and after a few more practice pieces and you will be able to make a perfect suit. Good job ;)

Woot! Gratz man that's it, you've done it. Well done for sticking with it and not giving in. Ok so I am thinking you get some more basic pieces done as I know there are a couple on the warmachine build. Then when you feel ready I would say go for the torso as this is also a fairly straightforward piece but much bigger so you want to be confident enough to do it with out any hiccups. You are now on your way to making your first suit. One thing I would say from experience, helmets are the hardest part to do in foam so maybe leave that till after you have perfected your technique on the rest of the suit. Good luck and stick with it as the reward at the end is awesome :)

Yeah I finally did it, now I know how you guys feel when you finish a suit haha .Yeah am going to keep practicing so I can pick up the paste and learn any tricks on my own since foam is you best friend , by best friend I meqn if mess up a little cut or do an angle.cut that is not good you can hide it with the other piece.The helmet I would love to do it on pep but I dont have a store near that sells all the things I need so thats why I am going for foam but as you said it will be the last piece.Thank you drack for all the help you have giving me .
Woot! Gratz man that's it, you've done it. Well done for sticking with it and not giving in. Ok so I am thinking you get some more basic pieces done as I know there are a couple on the warmachine build. Then when you feel ready I would say go for the torso as this is also a fairly straightforward piece but much bigger so you want to be confident enough to do it with out any hiccups. You are now on your way to making your first suit. One thing I would say from experience, helmets are the hardest part to do in foam so maybe leave that till after you have perfected your technique on the rest of the suit. Good luck and stick with it as the reward at the end is awesome :)

There ya go!! We all knew you would get the hang of it. Now that you're at this point, you will start to find ways to make things go easier for yourself, with great results. This looks like a great start.

-Matt

After I finish the helmet (Just to try out the pep foam template) I find out that the helmet template need some adjustment (your own creativity) so you need to be aware of that. You see the face plate comes out a little short.
f3599bd3.jpg

ohhh I see , what adjustments you recomend to make. It fit ? Print the faceplate a bit bigger? But that would mess ll the other pieces right.helme
After I finish the helmet (Just to try out the pep foam template) I find out that the t template need some adjustment (your own creativity) so you need to be aware of that. You see the face plate comes out a little short.
f3599bd3.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, this is the same pep helmet that I made from Robo3687/Sharkhead. It does come out short. See my pepped helmet. On the pepped helmet, I added a cardboard to cover the gaps. I imagined you could add a piece of foam. Or maybe shorten the jaw a little to bring it back up.

5809df48.jpg

I noticed that the finished helmet seems to flare out. It should sit flushed to the helmet. This goes the same with the jaw. Heatgun can help reshaping it to flush. I suggest another option. I would cut little grooves inside the helmet and bring it back to shape using some hot glue. In my video tutorial (at 4:45) I explained how to retain the curve shape using this method. Be careful though, because you don't want to do it too much or it will not look round. Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it is the same pep file and I did this with the default scale so it turns out a bit small so that's why it looks the way it is in the picture. I will need to scale this up a bit more. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back