My Son's Noble Spartan - NOW COMPLETE - Pic Heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking good. you get alot done. at my rate im going have my chest piece by wednesday and thats just the chest piece.

Thanks. Hope to see some pics when you have it done.

Looks great, shaping up nicely.:cool

Thanks Thorn. And the bracing on the torso seemed to work. I didn't have any warping that I could see that needed to be fixed. It was a pain in the back side to take out though after the smooth cast hardened. :p

Update

No pics tonight (this morning, whatever. . . LOL). Just a quick update. I have most of the stuff on the insides smoothed out with a couple of really irritating pieces on the torso. Trying to figure out how to get sand paper on them. Everything is trimmed up and I got the visor cut out of the helmet. I'm going to start (and hopefully finish) initial sanding to prepare for bondo when I get back up in a few hours. Then, I hope to get some bondo started on everything. If I have a chance to bondo and sand some pieces out, then I'll put up some pics later on (I know double posts are somewhat frowned upon, but if there's pics? . . . . LOL)

I kind of took it easy today and took a step back just to have a breather. Tomorrow it's back to grind stone, because I'll be working the rest of the week starting back up on Tuesday. The vacation the last week really helped me get a lot done on it though. I spoke to my son on the phone today and he was asking what all I got done. When I told him, he was very excited and wants to come back home just to see what everything looks like. . . . LOL

When I have something new or some pics, I'll be doing an update again. Thanks again to everyone taking an interest in my progress and please let me know what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Small Update

Unfortunately.. .. NOT much new. I finished initial sanding on everything and got it ready for bondo yesterday. I've had a tingling in my right hand all day today from using the sander all day yesterday. . . :p (Don't know if that's good or bad) Also, the fingertip attachment on my sander broke. I need to see about getting it replaced or taking it back and getting a new one. It's still under warranty so might as well take advantage of it.

I was able to get some bondo on one of the shins yesterday and had hopes of doing more tonight, but work was a 13 hour day today and it rained on top of everything else. (Again, WEIRD!!!! LOL) So, no bondo tonight. I'll hopefully be able to get something else done the next couple nights when I get in from work since I'm teaching this week and working during the day instead of my usual evening shift. I'll be off on Friday, and barring rain again, I'll be slapping mud all over the parts then if nothing before then.

One question about the whole bondo process. . . (maybe more). I know how to use bondo. I've worked with it before on other things so it's not about that. With all the research and everything I've done about this part of the build, I still haven't quite understood one part. Are you supposed to put bondo on the entire part, or just on the section of the parts that you want to smooth out the pep lines? I've got a big tub of it and have no problems with putting it all over everything. I definitely need to get my grove on with making it look nice putting it on again :p, but if I don't need to cover the whole part, because it isn't necessary, then I don't want to ruin other parts that already look decent. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Again, thanks to all following this, and I hope to have some new pics in the next day or two. Until then, keep on building and make it fun.

Unfortunately.. .. NOT much new. I finished initial sanding on everything and got it ready for bondo yesterday. I've had a tingling in my right hand all day today from using the sander all day yesterday. . . :p (Don't know if that's good or bad) Also, the fingertip attachment on my sander broke. I need to see about getting it replaced or taking it back and getting a new one. It's still under warranty so might as well take advantage of it.

I was able to get some bondo on one of the shins yesterday and had hopes of doing more tonight, but work was a 13 hour day today and it rained on top of everything else. (Again, WEIRD!!!! LOL) So, no bondo tonight. I'll hopefully be able to get something else done the next couple nights when I get in from work since I'm teaching this week and working during the day instead of my usual evening shift. I'll be off on Friday, and barring rain again, I'll be slapping mud all over the parts then if nothing before then.

One question about the whole bondo process. . . (maybe more). I know how to use bondo. I've worked with it before on other things so it's not about that. With all the research and everything I've done about this part of the build, I still haven't quite understood one part. Are you supposed to put bondo on the entire part, or just on the section of the parts that you want to smooth out the pep lines? I've got a big tub of it and have no problems with putting it all over everything. I definitely need to get my grove on with making it look nice putting it on again :p, but if I don't need to cover the whole part, because it isn't necessary, then I don't want to ruin other parts that already look decent. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Again, thanks to all following this, and I hope to have some new pics in the next day or two. Until then, keep on building and make it fun.

From my experience, you only need to put bondo on certain areas of the piece. You lose a lot of details when you put bondo on the whole thing. Everything is looking good. Keep it up.

When it comes to suits to wear underneath, I think two sets of Under Armour might do the trick. Being that the suit has ridges-or maybe even plates-in it, fasten pieces of craft foam or foam board to one shirt and pair of pants to match the detail, and proceed to put the other shirt and pants on over the other. This might give the same look as the undersuits the Spartans wear in the games. It might be really freaking hot to wear, but Halloween is usually chilly(at least where I live), so that shouldn't be an issue.

From my experience, you only need to put bondo on certain areas of the piece. You lose a lot of details when you put bondo on the whole thing. Everything is looking good. Keep it up.

Appreciate it Caboose!! I'm just going to stick the the areas that I think need to be rounded instead of angled, because I definitely don't want to lose all the detail work that took me so long to get.

Use the smallest amount of bondo possible.

Oh! Now you tell me!!! :p LOL!!!!! Thanks Thorn. I'll definitely be doing that. It will make my life a lot easier in the long run and speed up the process at the same time. ;)

When it comes to suits to wear underneath, I think two sets of Under Armour might do the trick. Being that the suit has ridges-or maybe even plates-in it, fasten pieces of craft foam or foam board to one shirt and pair of pants to match the detail, and proceed to put the other shirt and pants on over the other. This might give the same look as the undersuits the Spartans wear in the games. It might be really freaking hot to wear, but Halloween is usually chilly(at least where I live), so that shouldn't be an issue.

OK. :confused Thanks

Nothing New

First off. . . . . What in the @&*! happened to the appearance of the site?!?!?!?! I've got weird colors and everything looks different when trying to get all this stuff in here. Didn't know if anyone else thought the same. At the top of the screen I just have some Bulletin Ad Test thing and no Master Chief pic. Just seems wrong after all the time viewing the site. Just my 2 bits on that one. . . . Not to mention I'm a creature of habit and don't like change. . . :rolleyes

Anyways. RAIN AGAIN!!!!!! (and yes. . . . Really Weird for June) LOL So, I won't be able to get anything else done till at least tomorrow evening. Thanks for all the advise guys. I'm definitely going to be keeping it to a minimum on bondo for all the parts. I was looking at some reference pics that I found a while back and noticed that a lot of the parts are angled in so many places that all I really need to do is cover up a few areas and blend a few seams and the bondo work will be done. Thank you Jesus!!!!!! :)

Again, all help and advise is appreciated and will definitely be heard, understood and acknowledged (HUA!!!!!) So, HUA!!!! and thanks again. I'll get y'all some pics on Friday so I can get rid of some of the typing!!!! LOL

Oh! Now you tell me!!! :p LOL!!!!! Thanks Thorn. I'll definitely be doing that. It will make my life a lot easier in the long run and speed up the process at the same time. ;)

OK. :confused Thanks

First off. . . . . What in the @&*! happened to the appearance of the site?!?!?!?! I've got weird colors and everything looks different when trying to get all this stuff in here. Didn't know if anyone else thought the same. At the top of the screen I just have some Bulletin Ad Test thing and no Master Chief pic. Just seems wrong after all the time viewing the site. Just my 2 bits on that one. . . . Not to mention I'm a creature of habit and don't like change. . . :rolleyes

Sorry about that. I was able to round off and smooth most parts without bondo.:cool

And yes there still working on the forum, so it's changing here and there. I think it got most everyone when we first logged on.:D

Go to the bottom of any page on this forum, on the left side there will be a drop down box: From it, select "Not So Dark". It will change the appearance of the site to a much more tollerable tint! :)

Build looks great by the way!

Dave/Cereal.

Dad of the year award anyone? i really appreciate my father because like you, he would go out of his way to build things similar to this for me. You probably know this already but it truly does mean alot to a kid. Anyways this is shaping up real well, your work speed is phenomenal, my helmet took way longer than all the stuff you did so far.

man if i ever have a son i can't wait for halloween time

Great to hear about your build, man. How did you cut the visor out? Wasn't it after hardening?

Sorry Man. . . . I missed this one last time I was on because I was distracted by the newness. . . . . LOL.

I did cut out the visor after hardening everything. Since my reinforcement media was the Smooth Cast all I had to use to cut out the visor was an Xacto knife that I used to do all the trimming with. I would assume that if you're using fiberglass, you'll most likely need a dremel with a cut off wheel or saw blade.

Everything look great.

Thanks so much Sandy!!!

Good thing I'm not the only one that's noticed the weird site, where's the chief? Where did he go? Nobody knows :V
And yes there still working on the forum, so it's changing here and there. I think it got most everyone when we first logged on.:D

And it's looking weirder yet again. . . . . LOL. I stay away for a few days and all H-E- double hockey sticks breaks out here. . . . . LOL It's changed again!!!!

Sorry about that. I was able to round off and smooth most parts without bondo.:cool

I was just kidding. I did, however, bondo the entire first shin before I got the replies about it. . . . LOL

Go to the bottom of any page on this forum, on the left side there will be a drop down box: From it, select "Not So Dark". It will change the appearance of the site to a much more tollerable tint! :)

Build looks great by the way!

Dave/Cereal.

Thanks for the compliment. And I got your message too late. . . LOL. Now all that's there is "Dark 405th" and "White 405th". LOL!

Dad of the year award anyone? i really appreciate my father because like you, he would go out of his way to build things similar to this for me. You probably know this already but it truly does mean alot to a kid. Anyways this is shaping up real well, your work speed is phenomenal, my helmet took way longer than all the stuff you did so far.

man if i ever have a son i can't wait for halloween time

Thanks a bunch! I really appreciate it. And you could do this if you ever have a daughter too. . . . You just gotta raise 'em right. . . LOL I know it'd be a lot more fun for the son though.

UPDATE WITH PICS. . . Yaaa Hooooo!!!!!
(I think the color schemes on the site are getting more funkified)
OK. So I busted my tail today to get as much done as possible. Sanding was so much easier when all I did was touch about two or three places on most of the parts. I'll type more later. . . . As Promised. . . Here's the pics of what I got done today.

These are the parts that have Bondo and are sanded.
Biceps
DSCF6712.jpg

Forearms
DSCF6708.jpg

Thighs
DSCF6710.jpg

Shin
DSCF6711.jpg

What you see bondo on in those is all I put on there. I smoothed out everything else without it.
These are the parts I got bondo on and didn't have time to sand.
Helmet, Torso and Cod
DSCF6717.jpg

I primed all the sanded parts
DSCF6732.jpg

And I had one shin that was already covered in Bondo and sanded when I started everything today. So, I started putting final paint on it. I forgot the step by step pics, because I ran into town today to get some things. But I primed it, then put a silver metallic base coat and finally, I covered it with a Satin Oxford Blue color. My son wanted a blue Spartan and that's what I found that was a dull blue. . . . LOL! Before I put the blue on I put vaseline in a couple spots so I could rub it off later for the silver to show through. Here's the pic
DSCF6716.jpg

I sanded down the corners and roughed up some other areas for the silver to show through, but didn't know if it was right to do that. It didn't look right to me that way. I got inventive and found some more reference pics from game screen shots and this is what I did to it.
DSCF6727.jpg
DSCF6726.jpg
DSCF6724.jpg
DSCF6723.jpg

I found my wife's black acrylic paint and black washed the bottom of it and around some of the other spots too based on what I saw in the screen pics I found. I don't know if that really shows up in the pics or not. I took the pics w/o the flash because it was drowning everything out. So, sorry if they're a little fuzzy. I still don't think that I am by any means done with it. I'm trying to figure out how to blend the spots I had jelly on to make the edges look better. Does anyone have any suggestions on that or anything else I could do to make it look better?!?! I am planning on putting some triangles on it like in this pic
RBoot.jpg

I also saw in another pic that there is one of those teabag warning stickers on the back of it. I found that sticker template in Roxy's thread when I was going through that a while back. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/34127-RoxyRoo-s-Reach-Build-Undersuit/page29. She has a lot of good info in there and it was a great build. I'll be putting one of those where I saw it on the pic when I can figure out how to print in on something that sticks.. . . LOL.

I'm planning on finishing all the sanding and most of the regular painting (priming, base coats and final coats) tomorrow. My wife and son won't be at the airport until almost 2200 (10 p.m.) so, I'll have plenty of time to get some stuff done before they get back. I know on Sunday I won't be doing any of it unless my son wants to finger paint with black acrylics to do the black wash. . . . . LOL The final product's paint scheme will be along the lines of the shin that I already have started.

Sorry it took so long to get some new pics up for you guys. I know I like seeing them in the threads that I read, because you can see what all is there instead of just reading about it. Hopefully these can tide y'all over for a bit. LOL. Because I don't know what I'll get done after the wife and kiddo are back for the next week or so.

As always. . . . I encourage feedback, criticism, suggestions and any help that you can provide or are willing to give. Again, thanks to everyone who's taken an interest in my progress and I hope I can continue to keep you interested in it. Thanks so much!!

Until next time. . . . Keep building your projects, don't get discouraged and make it fun.

First off. . . Sorry for the double-post, but I did the triangles and the sticker on the back of the shin and wanted to share. AND . . . . I had too many pics in the last post to do an update. . . . I tried. LOL

DSCF6736.jpg

DSCF6737.jpg

I printed the tea bag notice onto an Avery 18167 label and trimmed it down a hair. Then, I had to hot glue it in place. You can't read it because it's so small, but my son will know what it says. . . . . LOL. I also saw that there were supposed to be some rivets or screws or something there on the side and added those in by dotting it with hot glue and painting. I need to do a little better on that part I think. But it was worth a shot. . . . :p I'm thinking of using some of that 3mm foam I have for them.

Hope you enjoy. . . and again, sorry for the double-post!

UPDATE
FOAMIES WORKED BETTER!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!
DSCF6738.jpg
DSCF6739.jpg

Whoa, nice painting! you've got some serious talent! you should make a set for yourself

Thanks! I am planning on making myself a set of Spartan armor once I'm done with this. I really liked the files you were using in your thread. They have got to be the most detailed parts I've ever seen. I went to the Dawn Under Heaven site and signed up to get access to them. I just hope it doesn't take too long to get a reply from them.

Looks awesome. Love the paint.

Thanks a bunch Thorn. Love your latest mods. It's looking awesome.

UPDATE

I've been busy again today. I'm hanging it up for the day though so I can get some stuff done around the house before I go to pick up my wife and son at the airport.

Here's what I did today.
Forearms
DSCF6752.jpg

Thighs
DSCF6750.jpg
DSCF6748.jpg
DSCF6747.jpg

Biceps
DSCF6753.jpg
DSCF6754.jpg

Back of Right Bicep
DSCF6755.jpg

Back of Left Bicep
DSCF6756.jpg

Cod
DSCF6758.jpg
DSCF6759.jpg

Hope y'all like what I've got. . . I keep looking at the biceps though and keep thinking they look like crapola! I may redo them both if time permits. But HEY!!! it is my first build and I'm still learning. . . . :$

I didn't put a pic of it, but on the back of the thighs on the bottom I painted a white stripe like what I saw in a screen shot I found. The other triangles and tea bag warning stickers were put on the thighs because I saw it in a screen shot. Figured I'd put as much as I could on it for my son.

I got the other shin done too, but it pretty much looks like the other one. . . LOL. I got the torso primed, but I'm going to have to do some sanding on it. The primer started clumping up, because it was a filler primer. I didn't get a chance to start on the helmet. After I sanded down the bondo from yesterday I had to add more, because it didn't cover what I wanted it to and I got side tracked painting everything. I have to run to town tomorrow or early tonight so I can get some more primer and blue though. I'm out!!!!!! :eek

I had to opt for dry brushing the silver in today. I think I put the blue on the silver too soon and when I was sanding it out to get the silver, I never got it. . . . :( Oh well. I tried to achieve the same look as the other shin on everything I could with the dry brushing and black wash. I'm sorry for the fuzzy pics. I tried taking them with the flash on and it kept drowning out all the black wash, so I turned it off in an attempt to show more details.

After I get the other things done I'll put up some more pics. I really don't know when that will be though. Hopefully in the next three or four days. With my son and wife being back tonight I plan on spending some time with them before I continue on the armor right now.

After I get everything painted the only thing I'll have left to do will be the visor on the helmet. Well, and the hand plates and knees I haven't made yet. . . ! :D I need to get that visor ordered so I can putty anything that needs to be before painting though. I was thinking of putting in some LEDs on at least the torso (front and rear). I'll put them in the biceps and legs if there is enough room for everything and my son. :p

Right now I'm just worried about having to cut the torso and what I'll do exactly to join them all back together nicely. I was thinking of using L brackets and magnets on the part under the arm and I guess just some buckles or something on the shoulder straps. If anyone has a better idea or an easier way to do it, PLEASE let me know.

Well guys. . . . gotta go. Thanks again for all the compliments and please keep all of them, suggestions and anything else you can send my way coming.

this is really shaping up! and yeah lookin' forward to your personal build, i haven't seen many other people using the dawn files so it'll be a unique set or armor to say the least. They got back to me pretty quick so hopefully they spare you the same courtesy.

Your moving along nicely i see, :)
Everything is looking great, keep it up!
Cant wait to see your son actually wearing it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back