DL's Hayabusa Helmet (and more?! Dundunduuunnn) *Pic Heavy*

Status
Not open for further replies.

DorkLady

Oh hi, Spartans and Spartettes!

So, since I've started on this forum, I've kind of lurked here and there, mostly joining due to my dear friend, Josh AKA Mstruvmgc. I decided that I wanted to build a helmet because of how epic his looked, only, I wanted to build my favorite instead. And rather than keep it all to myself, I figured I would share it with you wonderful people ^_^

I wanted to post pictures right away, but I forgot my connector cord...somewhere. Once I find it, I shall double post and include images!

Thanks for any feedback and advise you guys can provide in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Found my connector cord! Don't mind slight blurriness, as it was taken on my phone.

Unfortunately, I can't recall whose pep I am using, since Mstruvmgc printed out my helmet for me. Once I find out, I will happily add it here :D All I know of which pep I used was one piece, not two (if that makes sense).

2012-04-27222012.jpg

In pieces. At this point in the process, I had simply cut everything and didn't really keep it nice and organized. This, my friends, caused me to build from the bottom up. Which turned out to be a pain in the ass.

2012-04-28000756.jpg

This is when I started to notice that something might be a little off about this helmet...

But I finished it none the less! And I think it turned out quite snazzy for my very first time pepping.

Right side:
2012-05-06160458.jpg

Left side:
2012-05-06160510.jpg

Front:
2012-05-06160521.jpg

Back:
2012-05-06160534.jpg

Remember how I said that something seemed a little off about this helmet a few pics ago?
2012-05-06160918.jpg

That's right. It's too small :eek Josh and I had measured my head to get my size, completely unaware that we had to add a good three inches to that height to compensate for the horns. Doh!

But it makes a good puppet...
2012-05-06160853.jpg

On the drive home, I held it up and would "follow" pedestrians or fellow cars while Josh laughed at me being creepy :D

Needless to say, I am now remaking the helmet, slowly. I'm not going to throw away the "fun-size" helmet away, no no. I am going to paint it to match my full-size helmet, and make mini armor to fit a Build-A-Bear stuffed animal that will potentially come with me whenever I wear my armor as my mini me :$

Anyway, tell me what you guys think! Hopefully within the next week or so, I will have my helmet done to show you all ^_^

Hey that table looks familiar... OH WAIT I KNOW WHY!! I was there with you while you were builing that lol.
My bad again for not knowing how to scale the helmet just right. But now it should be ok lol :)

Hey that table looks familiar... OH WAIT I KNOW WHY!! I was there with you while you were builing that lol.
My bad again for not knowing how to scale the helmet just right. But now it should be ok lol :)

I think everybody scales the Busa to small on their first attempt at peping it. I built it 3 times before I got the size right, but hey it gives you practice so the right sized one will look better, some quick aqdvice, In pep designer I would drop the Threshold setting down to 165 to remove all the unecessary folds in the pep, this will minimize all the uneeded folds and make body work alot easier, hope to see more soon

Mstruvmgc

Hey that table looks familiar... OH WAIT I KNOW WHY!! I was there with you while you were building that lol.

Yea, it should be. The pieces look like the right size cause they are nearly double in size compared to the mini me ^_^

Hyperballistik

I think everybody scales the Busa to small on their first attempt at peping it. I built it 3 times before I got the size right, but hey it gives you practice so the right sized one will look better, some quick aqdvice, In pep designer I would drop the Threshold setting down to 165 to remove all the unecessary folds in the pep, this will minimize all the uneeded folds and make body work alot easier, hope to see more soon

Holy crap, three times?! I certainly hope I don't have to do that as well, though I will be a pro by the time I'm done with the proper size XD

Thanks for the advice. We already printed it out and I'm in the process of scoring it, and since it's Mstruvmgc's MATS, I don't want to just waste it since it is already scored on and can't be reused :p I actually don't mind the body work and folds, it's when it folds over itself that it starts to be a pain for me cause my glue gun hates me XD

Hey guys! As promised, I am in the process of building my resized helmet! I finished scoring and organizing the pieces within the last two days and so I figured this morning I would share what I've glued together so far ^_^

Front:
2012-06-12002359.jpg

Right side:
2012-06-12002407.jpg

Left side:
2012-06-12002423.jpg

Inside:
2012-06-12002437.jpg

Pretty much, as you can see, I finished the crown itself before adding on the cheek "horns". I also wanted to show you all the size difference, just because it's such a stark difference (yay!).

Side by Side:
2012-06-12002538.jpg

My mini helmet is a good sunglasses holder...

Front by Front:
2012-06-12002626.jpg

Stacked:
2012-06-12003635.jpg

Now, since I'm not sure if this is the proper size, I put it on for good measure. I know it's going to sit a little different once I get the crown to visor piece put on, as well as the top and back of the helmet. But, perhaps any of you guys who have built the Busa will be able to let me know if this LOOKS like the right size compared to my camera-whoring face :D

Side:
2012-06-12003104.jpg

Top:
2012-06-12002851.jpg

Yay? Nay?
2012-06-12002819.jpg

Sorry for being so pic heavy so early on but I thank everyone for any advice in advance, as well as on anything I should be prepared to face with the rest of this build as far as how it's going to fit :)

hey its looking good so far! That sucks that the first one did not fit, but it happens.

In terms of how the 2nd one is fitting, it is hard to tell at this point and since I've never built a busa helm before I can't really be sure, but it looks border-line snug fit, I think it could go either way.
However if it fits but the hole for your head is too small you can just trim that down before you harden it.

In all honest, it looks like it's going to be a little small. You will end up having almost no room for a visor with it being that close. The crown sticks out further than the visor does and with it right on your forehead, it'll be too tight of a fit. When I get home, I can take a look at the model and maybe help you get a closer size if you'd like!

EDIT: What size did you use on this last try?

If you scaled it at a height of about 340mm you should be good, the Hayabusa helmet I finished was scaled at a height of 346mm, and it will look proportional, its hard to tell if it will fit you correctly as the crown part is actually smaller than the rest of the helmet, I thought my hayavusa was going to end up small at the stage your pics are showing but once it was finished it was sized perfect

Thanks for all the feed back, everyone!

To everyone who feels it may be small, I had the same feeling creeping in my chest because of how it currently sits. I won't really know until I have at least the top half of the helmet finished.

@Macattack64
I'm not 100% sure what size I used, as Mstruvmgc is the one who resized it for me. If anyone knows, it would be him :)

Hyperballistik
...its hard to tell if it will fit you correctly as the crown part is actually smaller than the rest of the helmet, I thought my hayabusa was going to end up small at the stage your pics are showing but once it was finished it was sized perfect

I have my fingers crossed for this being the option!

What you should do is to start assembling the rear part that connects to the crown. That way you can actually see how large the top of the helmet is.

What you should do is to start assembling the rear part that connects to the crown. That way you can actually see how large the top of the helmet is.

After the cheek horns, since that's the bottom of the crown in my opinion, that was the next part I was going to make :) Hopefully I'll get that far either tonight or tomorrow night so I can have pics up and get some more feedback on size

Update!

So I know it's not terribly exciting to see the step by step process of helmet pepping, so this will probably be the last update I do until I completely finish it.

However, I wanted to show you guys how big the top is, and if it looks as though it is going to be big enough! Since my head measurement is 9" normally, using the Busa helmet making guide provided...wow I can't find it anywhere, but there's a mathematical equation on here to properly size it. Basically, the helmet now is measured for 12".

So, on to photos! Please excuse it being a little blurry.

Right:
2012-06-15014746.jpg

Left:
2012-06-15014800.jpg

Front:
2012-06-15014812.jpg

Back:
2012-06-15014822.jpg

On me:
2012-06-15015124.jpg

It looks like it's going to fit to me, but it's hard to tell since it's not completely structured as of yet.

On a side, slightly related, note, while I was building this, this happened:

2012-06-14181756.jpg

2012-06-14181748.jpg

...I quickly rescued my mini me...

Just by your picture, and ignoring how much hair you have :p, it looks like it should fit! Just remember that after fiberglassing, you may need to trim the opening a bit for your head to fit. Just because the model has the opening a certain way, doesn't mean it has to stay that way. It looks good as of right now! Just finish pepping it! ^_^

Long over due!

Hey ladies and gents!

Sorry that I have not posted in quite some time. Life happens, ya know? I finished this baby a few days ago but due to reason have not been able to upload pics until now :) So I am!

Front:
2012-06-24044018.jpg

Right:
2012-06-24044028.jpg

Size Comparison:
2012-06-24044120.jpg

Moment of Truth *insert drumroll*:
2012-06-24044330.jpg

2012-06-24044346.jpg

Mini Me:
2012-06-24044754.jpg

I think it turned out pretty good and I think it fits properly, since my eyes end up at the top of the visor (meaning after light padding it SHOULD be perfect)

Next up, resin!...when I get paid and can go buy all the stuff hehe ^_^

Vegas! I used to live there a few months ago, god I miss the weather. Especially when it comes to the resin and bondo process! The helmet looks good, I Heard this thing was hard to scale! At least it only took you two times to get it right. I was just wondering though, Is this your first project, It looks like you're good so idk...Either way I wanted to suggest another Busa helm. before you got this one done but I am too late...Again Good job! Good luck with it!

wow very awesome for a first helmet =D my first turned out like crap, great job and your pepping looks very clean
it's funny, i made my hayabuse helmet scaled right first try XD

Dh748
Vegas! I used to live there a few months ago, god I miss the weather. Especially when it comes to the resin and bondo process! The helmet looks good, I Heard this thing was hard to scale! At least it only took you two times to get it right. I was just wondering though, Is this your first project, It looks like you're good so idk...Either way I wanted to suggest another Busa helm. before you got this one done but I am too late...Again Good job! Good luck with it!​

It's pretty much the only thing this heat is good for, in my opinion! I'd take Washington's rainy weather over exhausting heat any day lol Well, aside from bondo-ing days!

Yea, it was a bit of a pain to size it but I am so glad the second one came out perfect. And yes, this is my first pepping project ever so thank you ^_^ I had never done anything like this before but, to my brain, it's like giant origami so I adapted pretty easily to it.

Road Kill
wow very awesome for a first helmet =D my first turned out like crap, great job and your pepping looks very clean
it's funny, i made my hayabuse helmet scaled right first try XD​

Thank you so much! There are some perks to being an artsy perfectionist XD

Lucky! Not that it's too bad, because now I have a mini me that I enjoy being a creeper with XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back