General Pepakura ?'s HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty Falco

Hi I'm embarking on a second pepakura piece (the HD Mark VI Chest (FS Vers)) and just have a couple questions I'm hoping someone can answer. See, my very first Pep piece was a recon helmet by BELAKOR, that when I scaled it, turned out way too small. The scaling method I'm using is by HaloGoddess. Here is her tut on overall scaling:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...quot-and-More-Tutorial?highlight=sticky+scale

I re-did the helmet with a larger scale and it turned out perfect. (Can't really remember how I decided to scale it the second time, but it worked obviously).

So I guess my first question is this: 1) Does the paper size that the file by default comes in affect anything such as scale? For example, this BELAKOR recon helmet says in the file name "A4" and by default the paper size that's set is for A4.

The second piece I'm starting on (the chest) by default is set to paper size "Letter" when you open the program. I just don't want to make another scaling mistake and I'm planning on using HaloGoddess's method for this chest piece.

2) The default scale that a file is when you download and open it, is it a good/bad if your new calculated scale is larger/smaller than the default scale? I heard somewhere that the Halo armor pieces by default were scaled to the Master Chief's size, so therefore it sounds bad if any of your pieces came to be larger than the default scale (unless you're bigger than the MC).

3) This is probably very basic, but in Pep designer if you have one single piece that's too large for the page, how can you split it up? By default there are no visible split lines where you can use the "divide/connect" tool to split up the piece. More easily said, there is one solid piece that I need to break up. You can't get a green line anywhere on the piece to divide it.

4) This last question I guess depends on my first: If I'm using standard 8 1/2 by 11 cardstock, what paper size should I select for use in pepakura designer?

Thanks much if you've actually read this whole thing and thanks even more if you're willing to help.

is this a thread where i can post questions? if so... i bought designer, got my code, now what do i do with the code?

I have a question. Do you know if there's a way to copy the 3D part of the .pdo file and paste them together? In order to see all of the pieces together before building the armor.

Paper size has no bearing on the size/scaling of the parts themselves, although you will be asked sometimes by Pepakura to adjust the scaling when you go to print a piece out; in this case ALWAYS pick no.

Question #2: most of the models I know of are scaled to the Master Chief, but, since you have the designer you have access to a wholly wonderful tool called "Measure distance between two points". Just right click anywhere in the grey area and click on the last option in the menu that pops up. From there you can use that tool to better gauge the size/scale of your project.

Question #3: I've got an advantage that most folks on here probably don't have, which is access to custom cardstock (usually I use 8.5" x 30") so large parts aren't much of an issue for me. If you're using standard paper sizes you're kinda hosed, but what you can do is this:
Pep_Multi_Page.JPG
Here we have a piece that's much larger than 1 page
Line it up so the page breaks are cutting the object at a point that's relatively easy to get at.

Pep_Multi_Page2.jpg
From here, make a precision cut from "1" to "2" on any part of your project piece that is bisected by a page break, then just match your parts back up & tape them back together

Hope that's clearer than mud, that's how I get around that kind of problem.

Question #4: Paper size really is all up to personal preference, or what you can manage to get. As I mentioned above, I've got a paper company I can get cardstock from in lengths up to 30" (I can get it up to 40" but my lame HP printer won't support paper lengths over 30" :( ) If you manage to get your hands on larger sizes of paper, you can adjust these settings in Pepakura, and in Windows (if that's your OS) by creating a custom paper size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back