Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadet

Executive Officer
Division Staff
Community Staff
Member DIN
S111
Well, for the purposes of my costume, it's going to be Andy from Red Vs Blue, but technically, it is just an Assault Bomb.

So, for a while now I've been thinking about what kind of accessories/extras to add to my Caboose costume. I wasn't sure what to make. Then I was killing some time in a Party City, looking for some things for Dragon*Con when I saw these:
http://www.partycity.com/product/gr...tby=ourPicks&size=all&from=Search&navSet=ball
lrg-6285-100_3070.JPG

They're like over sized (6 inch diameter) gumball machine balls. Even better, the two sides screw together. Even better? They're only like $1 a piece.

So it hit me. Andy the Bomb! And even better, since the top and bottom screw together, I suddnely had a place to put my keys, wallet, phone, flask, et cetera! I mean, sure there's pouches on my Mark V, but they don't really larger items very easily. Now, in addition to a cool accessory, I have a place to put my stuff.

If you look at the assault bomb, the top and bottom...poles I guess, for lack of a better term, feature four screw posts. I masked off the area, to help prevent scratches from a skipped drill bit, and drilled out the holes:
lrg-6287-100_3071.JPG

The poles also appear to be a definitive section than the rest of the bomb, to help achieve this look, I cut the circular sections out of the extra sections of the balls, and glued them to the top/bottom respectively. I also chose to use foamies for the raised ridges on the side of the assault bomb, as the foamies would bend and fit the contours of the ball better than trying to heat and shape plastic pieces. Also of note here is how much of a life saver magnets are when clamping down items for gluing. I picked up this trip last year, and now I can't honestly imagine working on props/costuems without the aid of magnets for clamping parts now.
lrg-6288-100_3072.JPG

lrg-6289-100_3073.JPG

Now, the plastic in these balls is that slightly bendable plastic you can find in kitchen trashcans and the like, it's not PEG, that's a different polymer, but I thin it's something like that. Either way, what it mostly means is that paint does not like to stick to this type of plastic. In order to help promote paint and glue adhesion, the entire surface of the orbs was wet sanded with a finer grit sand paper. The entire thing was then given a nice coat of "Adhesion Promoter" clean primer.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...er-primer/_/N-259g?itemIdentifier=460112_0_0_

I didn't use this stuff on my first go around, and the paint just seemed to never set up, it was tacky and "Slide" when you pressed on it. I went out and got two new orbs, sanded them down, used the adhesion promoter, exact same paints, and bam, paint adhered perfectly, no problems at all.

Here's where we stand now, red for masking for the red ring around the screw post area:
tumblr_m68ssudZZL1rtpviso1_500.jpg

png
All I need to do know is decide on the graffiti on the top of the bomb. They meet Andy on Zanibar, which in Halo 2 was the SPARTAN II helmet giving the peace sign with "xoxoxo," but I'm thinking of going with "Hold onto your butt" 1. Because I think it's something Andy would say and 2. I like Jurassic Park.

lrg-6332-100_3113.png

lrg-6331-100_3112.png

lrg-6330-100_3111.png

lrg-6333-100_3114.png

I was never happy with how the hand painted lettering turned out. It did not look anywhere near professional or quality enough for me. I decided to get some Water Slide Decal paper and try making my own custom decals. I went through a wide variety of color and font options until I decided on what I am using now. Since the water slide decal paper is clear, any of the objects background color will bleed or show through slightly, so, unfortunately, yellow was not really an option. In order of rhte text on the bomb to be visible, I ended up with a non-canon red color. I'm not happy that it's non-canon, but I do like that now the size and spacing is all uniform and legible. I have also started adding some of the in game Easter Egg graffiti to the bombs.
941805_280948025375732_1089376595_n.jpg

179761_281429948660873_386892500_n.jpg

936190_280433495427185_698578426_n.jpg

Looks very nice, and a great addition to your costume. Andy and Caboose always were best friends. But 3 of them? Looks like the other two could use a new home :)

Great job on the bombs.
Is that lon lon milk from Legend of zelda, i see in the Background?

Omg! Thats so awesome! Im totallyngoing to party city later lol
Great job caboose :)

And yes i believe that is lon lon milk lol

But 3 of them? Looks like the other two could use a new home :)

One was donated to the Sidequest Charity Auction at RTX this year, another was given to the GrifballHub crew for RTX this year as well, and one was given to my friedn and Halo Artist Jamie Snell as a birthday present.

And yes, that is one of my Lon Lon milk bottles:
lrg-1584-pictars_007.jpg

For those of you going to RTX this weekend, one of my Grifball/Assault Bombs will be in the SideQuest charity auction for Child's Play, and another will be availible for use in photo-ops at the The Grifball Hub booth.

Glad I stumbled across this thread! I've worked the Hub booth two years now, and we're still using your bomb for photo-ops. Thanks again!
IMG_20140704_172915941_zps43322ac6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back