405th MENTOR PROGRAM 3.0 *REBOOT*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carpathia

Sr Member
405th Mentor/Apprentice Program 3.0

MENTORS NEEDED!

Before You Continue
If you are a new member and have not yet done so, please read the All-In-One New Member Instruction Guide before applying as an apprentice to this program. There is a lot of helpful information in this article that may answer all the questions you currently have.

After you read the above mentioned guide, if you only have a few questions, please visit the Help! series threads in the NOOB Forum. The threads found there are for singular issues that can be resolved with a simple answer.

History
This is the third version of this movement. The original was created by Nintendude, but he has since left the site. The second was a continuation by Ventrue, who has recently gotten a new job which takes up most of his time and leaves him unable to monitor the program. With Ventrue’s permission, I have volunteered to take over the thread.

Mission
The Mentor Program was created in order to offer the members of the forum who are new to the hobby a source of knowledge and assistance when they need more than just a few questions answered. The program was formed to pair an inexperienced or aspiring armorer with specific needs with a more experience member who excels in the areas the new member needs. The key to this pairing is communication. The mentor and the apprentice should maintain a constant line of communication through private messages on the forum, email, Skype or whatever form of communication with which the pair is comfortable. If the line of communication breaks down, then someone is missing out.

Mentors
If you feel you have something to contribute and have the time, energy, and patience needed to guide someone in a specific area of armor building, either post it here or send me a private message. In your post or message, please indicate which area(s) you are comfortable with mentoring (pep work, resin, bondo, paint, foam, etc.) and you may be added as a mentor. If added, try your best to maintain communication with your apprentice. Setting up scheduled conference times or keeping a regular flow of emails/messages are great ways to stay in touch. Provide honest feedback to your apprentices. If something looks bad, be nice, but tell them AND give them advice on how to improve. If your apprentice stops communicating for an extended period, let me know and I'll take action.

Apprentices
If you need guidance in a particular area (like the areas mentioned in the mentors section), either post your request here or sent me a private message. In your post or message, include which areas in which you require guidance and you will be added as an apprentice. When paired, pick your mentor’s brain. Ask questions, seek advice, send pictures of your work for critique and be prepared for HONEST criticism. You may want to develop some thick skin if you are easily insulted by honest assessments of your work. Mentors will be assigned according to areas of assistance needed and on a first-come-first-serve basis. If your mentor stops communicating for an extended period, let me know and I'll take action.

Areas of expertise (Subject to Change & Expansion)
2D Modeling = Using 2D programs such as AutoCAD to create templates or to aid in the design of 3D models.
3D Modeling = Ability to create 3D computer models which can be converted to Pepakura files or some other form of production (CNC, 3D Printer, etc.)
Pepakura = Overall understanding of the program including Unfolding and Scaling
Pep work = Putting pepakura models together
Resin = Applying resin to pepakura models
Fiberglass/Rondo = Hardening/strengthening pepakura models
Bondo = Smoothing pepakura models (includes sanding)
Painting = Applying armor-worthy paint job to either pepakura armor or foam armor
Strapping = Attaching straps in key locations to either pepakura armor or foam armor
Overall Pep-Armor Skill = Includes pep work, resin, fiberglass/rondo, bondo, painting, and strapping
Overall Foam-Armor Skill = Includes foam cutting, forming, gluing & shaping, painting, and strapping
Soft Armor = Undersuits and padding (may include sewing and other tailoring skills)
Scratch-Building = Creating armor or weapon components with no model or pattern
Sculpting = Using clay or other soft material to create the object which later is molded and cast.
Molding/Casting = Creating molds/cast copies of finished works
Vacuforming = Using a heat table and vacuum table to replicate armor or components with plastic
Metal Work/Welding = Using welding techniques to join metal pieces
Wood Work = Creating various components out of wood
Electronics = Installing lights, fans, or circuits into pepakura or foam armor or weapons (includes soldering and circuit design)
Weapons = Using various mediums to create realistic weapons including Pepakura, Scratchbuild, and Nerf Gun Modifications

Mentors as Apprentices??
If you are listed as a mentor, do not feel as though you cannot participate as an apprentice in another area of expertise. For example, if you are skilled in the pepakura armor method, but want to learn more about foam armor building, apply as an apprentice seeking guidance in foam building. Of course preference will be given to those who are solely apprentice status.

Contact Me
I keep a fairly clean inbox here on the forums, so whether you are a mentor or a mentee, feel free to contact me if your partner is not living up to his or her end of the pairing and other arrangements can be made.

Assigned Members
Mentor <-> Apprentice (Matched Skills, Mentor Skill Areas Not Requested by Apprentice, Areas Desired by Apprentice Not Covered by Mentor)
Arcanine <-> Nerdtron99 (3D Modeling [Blender])
Caboose Vs. Grif <-> Charlie117 (3D Modeling, Overall Foam-Armor)
Harding29 <-> BHF Dark Phoenix (Pepakura, Pep Work, Resin, Fiberglass/Rondo, Bondo, Soft Armor, Foam Work, Casting/Molding)
Mkshane81 <-> Silver Gooch (Pep Work, Resin, Bondo, Pepakura [Unfolding], Fiberglass/Rondo, Electronics, Painting)
Noble9360 <-> ViperB77 (3D Modeling, Overall Pep-Armor, Bondo, Electronics, Painting),
Redshirt <-> MuffinMICHI (Pep work, Resin, Fiberglass, Metal Work/Soldering, Wood Work, Paint, Weapons); Kadet (Bondo)
RickrTickr <-> AugmentedHuman013 (Overall Pep-Armor, Sculpting, Weapons)
Teslacron <-> MRoshan332 (Overall Foam-Armor, Painting, Strapping, Sculpting, Molding/Casting, Electronics, Scratch-Building, Soft Armor [Sewing])

Mentor Waiting List (Mentor Skill Area)
GenericCola (Painting)
Nerdtron99 (Pepakura [Unfolding], Pep Work)
Spartan-420 (Pep Work, Resin, Fiberglass/Rondo)

Apprentice Waiting List (Desired area)
Blackblood (2D Modeling [AutoCAD]) 10-21-13
Charzii (Overall Foam Armor) 10-21-13
Deolf101 (Overall Foam Armor)
DeRanKeR (3D Modeling) 8-21-13
Eljosh (3D Modeling) 10-21-13
GenericCola (Bondo) 9-25-13
Harding29 (Painting, Strapping, Electronics, Molding/Casting) 7-25-13
Jeebz (Overall Pep-Armor, Overall Foam-Armor, Soft Armor, Sewing, Vacuforming) 9-3-13
Monk358 (Bondo) 10-22-13
Rpm49 (Pepakura [Scaling], Overall Foam-Armor) 8-8-13
Spartan-420 (Overall Foam-Armor) 9-26-13
Sri-LanKING (3D Modeling [Model Ripping]) 8-8-13
TheOneWithNoName (3D Modeling [Model Ripping]) 7-15-13
Zyphex_Skybreaker (Overall Foam-Armor) 9-26-13

Last edited by a moderator:
As of June 19, this thread has been purged and has started anew. If you were purged, but wish to remain part of the program, let me know what your role was (mentor or apprentice) and what your area(s) of expertise/needed assistance was/were.

Hey, Im new and would like to be an apprentice for Painting,Strapping,Overall Foam-ArmorSkill,Sculpting,Molding/Casting,Electronics and scratch building. Thanks :p

Hello Ones of Might!

I am currently being mentored still by Noble360, we had a small hiatus as him/I are moving to our new homes. But across the pond, we are still staying in touch!

I cannot get a hold of BADROOKIE though. I'm not sure what's going on there. I am trying to mentor him in stages 3D modeling, Sizing, Overall Pep Work, and Bondo/Resin. We did not get to painting.

Thanks again Carp and anyone else who got the site up! Super pumped!

EDIT:%T
Carp, I don't think that the email transporter is working right... Just wondering...

Hello Ones of Might!

I am currently being mentored still by Noble360, we had a small hiatus as him/I are moving to our new homes. But across the pond, we are still staying in touch!

I cannot get a hold of BADROOKIE though. I'm not sure what's going on there. I am trying to mentor him in stages 3D modeling, Sizing, Overall Pep Work, and Bondo/Resin. We did not get to painting.

Thanks again Carp and anyone else who got the site up! Super pumped!

EDIT:%T
Carp, I don't think that the email transporter is working right... Just wondering...

I'm adding you two back in. In what areas is Noble360 mentoring you?

Also, email transporter? Huh?

I was wondering if I could get a mentor for 3d modeling. In specific, how to salvage ripped models and get rid of excess faces.

Hi there i was wondering if I could find a mentor for painting/aging some bondo/rondo and strapping possibly casting but that would be a bit later. thank you

AugmentedHuman013,
I can help you with paint/aging. What would you like to know? Msg. me and I can get back to you this weekend. :)

I'm adding you two back in. In what areas is Noble360 mentoring you?

Also, email transporter? Huh?
All round pep armor, bondo, electronics painting and basic 3d modelling.
Viper's getting fairly advanced, we stay in touch fairly regularly.
I'm more than happy to take on another Apprentice if someone needs someone.
Stu.

hi, carpathia i dont need to be mentored in molding and casting anymore, studied up on it. so if you could modify my desired areas to overall pep, bondo, painting and basic 3d modeling that would be great

I was wondering if I could get a mentor for 3d modeling. In specific, how to salvage ripped models and get rid of excess faces.

Hi there i was wondering if I could find a mentor for painting/aging some bondo/rondo and strapping possibly casting but that would be a bit later. thank you

AugmentedHuman013,
I can help you with paint/aging. What would you like to know? Msg. me and I can get back to you this weekend. :)

All round pep armor, bondo, electronics painting and basic 3d modelling.
Viper's getting fairly advanced, we stay in touch fairly regularly.
I'm more than happy to take on another Apprentice if someone needs someone.
Stu.

hi, carpathia i dont need to be mentored in molding and casting anymore, studied up on it. so if you could modify my desired areas to overall pep, bondo, painting and basic 3d modeling that would be great

All has been updated on the OP. I'll let everyone know when they are paired up.

Hey carpathia, I just wanted to provide a friendly reminder that I am available for mentor service, rather than requesting apprentice service. Thanks for your hard work.

-Matt

Hey carpathia, I just wanted to provide a friendly reminder that I am available for mentor service, rather than requesting apprentice service. Thanks for your hard work.

-Matt

That's what I thought. I was editing the OP and saw your name on the apprentice list and thought that you were a mentor. I'm not sure how your name got there, but thanks for letting me know.

Hey guys and gals I'm looking for a mentor for general help with bondo, soft armor, foam work, and some other things. let me know if you can help me thanks

Hey people, am looking for a mentor on how to make pep models. Like literally make them on pdos . I want to give it a go! thanks!

Hey guys and gals I'm looking for a mentor for general help with bondo, soft armor, foam work, and some other things. let me know if you can help me thanks

Hey people, am looking for a mentor on how to make pep models. Like literally make them on pdos . I want to give it a go! thanks!

I've updated the OP to reflect your new interests. As soon as a mentor who matches your interests comes available, I'll pair you up and let you know.

I would like to be an apprentice if you're not already full.

I especially need help in the pep building.

I would like to be an apprentice if you're not already full.

I especially need help in the pep building.

You've been added in. Since you only require one area of mentorship, you may be getting paired up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back