Marcus Fenix Style COG Armor WIP (Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well folks TheBearMan is back and this time with COG armor!

So its been about a year now since i started my last thread. That being said i felt it was time to start on my next set of armor, and as I'm a huge fan of gears i felt like that was the way to go.

The Build will be made entirely of foam, as i have been inspired by the various GOW builds ive seen in the last year or so. This will pretty much be all scratch built, so i'm really looking forward to taking on the challenge.

And now for what you all care about, The pictures!

2012-07-04_23-41-45_967.jpg

2012-07-04_23-39-47_741.jpg

As always I love to hear your input folks. Good bad or indifferent let me know what you think!

Cheers,
BearMan

Quick update,

Start with the pictures then i'll talk about it.

2012-07-05_18-00-41_640.jpg

2012-07-05_18-02-30_812.jpg

Ok so im not quite sure i'm happy with it. I would love to know what you guys think, because I'm thinking of maybe scraping this one to see if i can do a better job.

So let me know what yall think!

Thanks,

BearMan

I found it hard to foam build the front as it seemed all too flat. I say keep working on your own style and make it to suit you and your shaped body. Atleast foam bends. Look forward to more pics!

I'm jealous. I've wanted a COG build for over a year, but I can't get started due to the fact that I possess no artistic talent and can't make patterns like that on the fly.

Hope to see this thing looking all spiffy.

Hey thanks for the response guys!

@IronMonger: Yea man thats what i was thinking, that it was just too flat. I also feel like it was too small as well. Love your Carmine build btw great work there! Thanks for your support as well and dont worry there are plenty more pictures to come!

@RadioactiveMicrobe: Dont be jealous man, I'm sure if you tried you might be better at it than you think. Yes I am actually an art major, but that being said really all that has done for me on this build is help me to freehand straight lines and kind of eyeball detail. The majority of the template making process has just been planning and trial and error. So screw artistic talent and just go at it man. You want it than make it!!

So as promised I'm reworking the chest piece. I'm really guna take my time this go around and make templates for the entire chest and back to get an idea of how its going to all come together (as i feel i may have jumped the gun on the first go).

Here's a view of the new chest template!

2012-07-06_20-38-21_794.jpg
[/IMG]

This one is much bigger and i also took another look back at the reference pics i accumulated and tried to make it much more detailed. The next challenge will be making it into the foam version and trying to give it the convex look it has in the game.

Well thats it for today folks!
As always leave me some comments and let me know what you think. And of course thanks for the support so far!

Cheers,
BearMan

I built my Marcus armour this time last year for AVCon and I had a couple of goes with it but I ended up making my own pep template for the front (the back was more bye eye sort of) and it was done in foam. It was the only way I could think of to get the depth it needed.

I have not been around here for a while so I don't know if anyone has a proper pep file for Marcus yet but back then the mesh was made available in the 3D modelling forum, which is what I used to create the pep file (I think. Like I said it's been a while).

Your new template is looking great though!

@OldTrenchy: Thanks for the suggestion and support man!

So i kind of let the whole chest rig take a backseat for a bit and figured i would take care of some of the smaller components of the armor. With that i started on the bracers for my forearms.

PICTURES!
2012-07-08_21-16-03_88.jpg

2012-07-08_21-16-36_455.jpg

2012-07-08_21-16-50_729.jpg

2012-07-08_21-16-20_374.jpg

Well thats just the Right bracer, and its about 75% finished. I still intednd to add a few more detail components to it and then obviously paint.

As always tell me what you think folks!

Thanks for the support so far,
TheBearMan

Hey guys quick update,

So i finished both bracers, and added the detail i was missing from the last post.

2012-07-10_16-03-41_849.jpg

2012-07-10_16-03-27_648.jpg

2012-07-10_16-03-17_750.jpg

Well there it is!
Tell me what you think folks!!

Cheers,
BearMan

wow the arm pieces look great, I love the detail that you carved out. Did you just use a clay carving tool for that? I wouldn't think that those would be strong enough to carve foam sheets!

Really nice work man loving the arm pieces! I take it you just used a soldering iron to burn in the detailing?
I can see some Propcustomz insperation in it :)

Thanks for the support folks!

@Annanymous: Thanks, and no I used only bits from the dremel tool for all the carving. It has taken some practice but once you get the hang of it you can carve some nice detail.

@Drack: Thanks man, and as i said i used the dremel for everything. I probably should have mentioned that this build has definitely been inspired by propcustomes. I loved the baird build that he did so im definitely referencing him here. As they say "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"!

Once again thanks for all the support, there should be plenty more to come and i will post up a picture of the dremel heads im primarily using!

Cheers,
BearMan

Another quick update!

As promised here are the dremel heads i've been using to carve the foam,
2012-07-11_22-20-39_692.jpg

Pictured From left to right are, Small grinding head, Small Sanding Barrel and Cutting Wheel.

Also if your going to get into carving foam or just armor making in general you should get one of these dremel kits, Its something like $25 at walmart,
2012-07-11_22-21-46_612.jpg

So now for the update,

TADA, First there was a boot!
2012-07-12_01-43-15_147.jpg

And then there was the beginning of a BOOT!
2012-07-12_01-43-37_624.jpg

So its definitely a challenge making theses boots as i already have a size 13 foot, what is already a large piece is made even larger by my behemoth feet! Hopefully I will complete the template and the first boot in the next couple days and ill have the finished detailed project for yall then!

As always thanks for your support and please keep the comments coming!

Cheers,
BearMan

After much labor and stress we now have an update!

So i pretty much completed the Right boot, aside from a few minor details and weathering.

Check it out!

2012-07-15_11-19-59_966.jpg

2012-07-15_11-19-51_624.jpg

2012-07-15_11-20-26_383.jpg

This was one hell of a job getting it to that point. Though I used Propcustomes model I basically built this from looking at his pictures and creating the templates myself from scratch. It was really challenging but im pretty happy with the way it came out! As i said the only thing left to do is some detail work and weathering.

I also still need to attach the top of the boot to the base, but have yet to decide if i should make it stationary or make it pivot like Propcustoms did. Any thoughts on this matter?

Well thats all for now folks, Please let me know what you think and as always thank you for your support.

Cheers,
BearMan

hmm no responses... o well moving on

Update time!

2012-07-23_16-28-09_141.jpg

2012-07-23_16-27-36_82.jpg

As you can see the boots are pretty much done, all thats left is to attach the top to the base but i dont want to do that until I've painted them.

Now for more pictures!

2012-07-23_16-26-33_370.jpg

2012-07-23_16-26-40_473.jpg

2012-07-23_16-25-48_141.jpg

2012-07-23_16-23-31_845.jpg

So there are the beginnings of the belt, There will be 2 more ammo pouches as well as 4 small pouches that will attach to the gun belt. Once the belts and its add ons are all finished i will be moving on to the main body!

Well thats it folks so tell me what you think!

Cheers,
BearMan

Hey y'all!

Been a while, but its nice to see the site back up and running! Thanks to the Admins for all their hard work, this place is looking great!!

So now for the long overdue update....

The Chest Plate updated and revised!
2012-09-20_20-52-57_579_zpsf86f0fde.jpg

And the Back Plates, about 3/4 of the way done
2012-09-20_20-51-15_381_zpsdeab3479.jpg

Now for some Paint!

2012-09-20_20-53-55_134_zps0e3a3aae.jpg

2012-09-20_20-54-03_447_zps0de95ed1.jpg

2012-09-20_20-55-51_236_zps3808f283.jpg

Sorry for the poor image quality, lighting in my basement doesn't rly help my cell camera out much. But those are the Gauntlets and the "Cod Piece". The paint texture is supposed to look like leather, now in reality I thought i came pretty darn close to the real look but i dont know if that translated in the images. But hey ill let you all be the judge.

Let me know what you think folks!

Till the next time,
Cheers!

Hey, Everyone!

I just wanted to let y'all know I'm not dead! I've just been swamped with school and that has to take priority. Regrettably this build will not be finished for Halloween but I hope i will have it done by spring so i can attend some of the local cons. Keep an eye out here and there should be more updates to come because i refuse to abandon this project!

Thanks,
BearMan

This looks very game accurate! I look forward to updates - I saw a great version of this armor a few Dragon Cons ago - this looks pretty perfect!

Thanks JayAndhek!

I was trying to go as accurate as i can, So with the help of lots of reference pics and studying Propcustomes awesome Baird build, i've been chugging along.

Again thanks for the comment, hopefully ill be updating soon!

Thanks John!

Im pretty partial to the boots myself. The funny part is I'm a big man, i mean like 6'5" and those boots make me look like I'm a lil kid borrowing daddy's boots! They are big! I still love the look of em though!!

Thanks for the comment man!

Cheers,
BearMan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back