ZMX's ODST Armor [Pic Heavy] - A detailed thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZMX

ZMX's ODST Armor
A first complete project!

LADIES&GENTLEMEN!

AS OF AUGUST 21st, 2012, THIS SUIT IS 99% OVER! And here are some pictures :

1031566.jpg

1031565.jpg

1031560.jpg

scaled.php

-------------------------

Well, looks like this will be my first post!

First off, a few words to introduce myself. Northerner, 20, with no past prop experience before this project. I have been lurking on these pages for two years already, and if anything has struck me since, it is the sheer volume of awesomeness that is held within the 405th forums and community. Seriously, there’s some seriously talented people on this board.

So! My build.

I went with an ODST. Why? Well…I like ODSTs. And they’re badass and stuff.
I also thought the ODST armor would be somewhat easier to do than a Spartan’s armor. Although I haven’t tried the latter, I’ll warn any newbie reading this that ODST armor is way harder than it may look at first, has a great many pieces, and is a challengeing first project. That being said, that is no reason not to try it out : just don’t rush as I did at first and take. Your. Time. That’ll spare you a lot of time going back at the workbench because you screwed up a piece…

Second piece of advice : every answer to every question is somewhere on the forums. Sure, the board might be a little messy, but it is a gold mine of information, tutorials and general insights that are of invaluable help during a project. It's just a matter of using the search button...and a bit of lurking too, I'll admit!

Now, without further ado, I shall present my armor as it is now (that is, not quite completed yet). Given that this project exists thanks to the authors of the pepakura files I used, I will name every file used and their author for notoriety’s sake. Oh, and if any of those authors are reading this – if I ever meet you in real life, I owe you a beer and a vigourous handshake. This project couldn’t exist without the 405th, and certainly not without you!

Also, if anyone wonders, the base color is Duplicolor Gunmetal Gray and the red is Krylon Banner Red.

WARNING : multi-posting ahead!

Helmet

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

dscf2004w.jpg

File used : ODST Helmet V2, by Hugh Holder
Method used : Pepakura/resin/rondo/paint

First of, a few words on Hugh Holder’s helmet. First, it is awesome. Second, I found it probably the easiest ODST helmet file to pep. Third…it took me damn long to finish pepping it. There’s a truckload of pieces, and it took me a while to cut them, fold them, glue them, etc. Like Hugh says in his thread, butterfly clips are a must-have.

However, as long as it’s been for me to make it, I highly recommend this file to anyone.

So I pepped it, fitted it with the clips, then glued the whole thing togheter by sections. Following that, I resined the outside and rondo’d the inside…and ran out of the damn stuff. There are a couple of weaker spots (especially around the neck area), but for now I’ll have to live with it. There is very minimal bondo work on the helmet (see previous paranthesis).

Helmet was primed, then painted Duplicolor Gunmetal Gray. The stripe is Krylon Banner red, and the weathering is a few brushes of Duplicolor Chrome.

The visor was made using this GREAT tutorial :http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/26508-Halo-3-ODST-Visors

Although it did take me a few tries, it is a very efficient way to do the angled ODST visor (although getting another color might be a bit trickier considering the use of VHT nite-shades, available only in black). Here’s a closer look of the visor, and a picture taken without flash from within the helmet (visibility is a tad better IRL) :

scaled.php

scaled.php

Shoulders

scaled.php

scaled.php

File used : Kirrou’s Hinged Shoulder (heavily modified by myself) and Shoulder Base by Hugh Holder
Method used : Foam (hence the modifications to the file)

I applaud anyone recognizing the « real » ODST shoulder in that picture. Starting from Kirrou’s file, I had a whole bunch of troubles working with the foam and ended doing something halfway between the file and half from scratch. Will probably re-do it at a later point in time, as these were my first try at foam – and it shows.

For now, it is made of foam, sealed with a mixture of white glue and water (couldn’t find plasti-dip where I live even if my life depended on it), then spray-painted.

I will add a strap with a buckle going from the top of the shoulder and joining with the chest core to hold the damn things in place…they just keep falling if I move!

Forearms

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

File used : Hugh Holder’s (modified and botched to the point of being barely recognizable)
Method used : Foam and a whole lot of swearing

To say that the forearms gave me nightmares would be the euphemism of the century. Without a heatgun and very limited tools, it took me three tries to get something looking more or less the part, and at the fourth I stopped halfway and thought, screw this! So I went my own way, going blind for the most part, and here’s the result. Not great (far from being good, even), but will do until I re-do them with pep.

Chest core

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

File used : Hugh Holder’s Chest Core and Spine Plates
Method used : Foam

That piece went surprisingly well, compared to the others. Adjusted Hugh Holder’s file for foam use, and succeeded on second try (first one was waaaaaay too big). The chest core is split under the left arm and snaps on with a little buckle. Two patches of velcro stand beside the buckle to hold the side plate that hides the joint. The webbing going over the shoulders attaches to the main chest plate’s buckles.

Chest plates

File used : Hugh Holder’s main plate, side plates, center plate and ODST buckle
Method used: Pep/resin/fiberglass/rondo (with the exception of the ODST buckles, which were made of foam)

Those pieces were made last year during the summer, using the traditionnal pep method. No bondo was used for detailing (and it shows, but hey, limited budget and set of skills!).

The ODST buckles were cut out from foam mats, sealed with a glue/water mixture, then spray-painted. The buckles are glued to the top of the main plate; the webbing from the chest cores holds the main chest plate in place (with a bit of help from some hot glue between the plate and the chest core).

Belt plate

scaled.php

File used : Hugh Holder’s belt plate
Method used : Pep/resin/fiberglass/rondo

Nothing much to say here; the belt is glued to the inside of this plate, with the clip going out on the right-hand side.

Hip plates

scaled.php

File used : Hugh Holder’s hip plates
Method used : Pep/resin/fiberglass/rondo

You guys may have noticed I have sort of a D-ring fetish. Anyhow, the hip plates have a strap going from the front to the back, with a little slack at the top that serves as loop to pass the belt in. The plates can be moved around the belt to adjust their position; the only fixed belt piece is the belt plate.

Back plate/butt packs

scaled.php

File used : Hugh Holder’s butt packs
Method used : foam

The straps are actually a bit too short (I was using leftovers), so the belt passes through two D-rings on glued on the inside of that piece. I might or might not join (read : glue) it to the spine plates at a later time, although I’m afraid it may reduce mobility.

Thighs

scaled.php

File used : Hugh Holder’s thighs
Method used : foam

The thighs gave me a hard time, too. Not really satisfied with the result, but I’ll live with it. They are suspended to the belt with a buckle system : one strap is glued to the inside of the thighs, while the buckle is glued to a loop that allows it to move a bit around the belt. That way, the thighs don’t drop when I walk!

I might buy a cheap holster or military pouch or w/e and attach it to the thigh using the two square holes left in it. That way I would 1) Hide those freaking holes and 2) Distract any viewer from the crude piece.

Shins

1031553.jpg

1031555.jpg

1031556.jpg

File used : Hugh Holder’s shins
Method used : foam, with a hefty dose of modifications once again

Finally got around to making these. I used Hugh Holder's model, modified it for foam, and improvised a great deal along the way, effectively going down the same road as the forearms (going "skeletal" by removing some parts entirely).

So here you have it! I still have to find an undersuit. Any suggestion or criticism is most welcome!

This thread will be updated when I make further progress.

Updated first post with pictures of the visor and a handy link to the tut I used!

(Also bumping my thread)

awesome work man! how long did it take you to do this?

Thanks!

I got into armoring somewhere in July of 2011 (last year). My first piece ever was a CQB Helmet; I had the intention to make a full Reach suit, but after colossal screw-ups, I went for an ODST, but ran out of materials, patience and will by late august. The "chest assets" (the plates that go onto the chest core) and the belt/hip plates were made during that summer. I got back to work around april after finding new motivation and renewed interest after seeing some very sweet foam builds (notably Bexi's http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/34330-ODST-Dare-Foam-Build-(Pic-heavy)/page2?highlight=dare and Higdog's http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/35015-ODST-Squad-Build-4-suits-B4-the-Halo-4-release!) and decided to jump back in.

Making the pieces didn't take as much time as modifying the files did; however, like I said above, it did take me a few tries with some of the pieces. Having summer classes from may to mid-june, I went at a leisurely pace; however, making the helmet went fast : with the exception of Kirrou's Tester for sizing, from pep to finish Hugh's helmet took me about a week (drying and stuff, plus some days of rain and summer job).

I should have the shins done by the end of july (kinda busy at the moment); I'm also looking for a nice (and not too expensive, ideally) undersuit.

sweet man! It's so sad to see new recruits lose hope in armor building. :( I know, cause I've been through it. :( your armor looks awesome, how did you get your ODST Helm to look narrow like it does?

Nothing, actually; I just built Hugh's ODST helmet with the default scale, used butterfly clips to hold the pieces togheter and "fitted" it that way, then removed then and glued as I went, and it ended up like that. Funny, you're the second one who tells me the helmet is "narrow"...I'm not quite sure what to make of that comment ahah!

your suit looks like its coming along nicely. i cant wait to see it finished! not to sound like a broken record, but i also noticed that your helm did look a bit narrow.

ive been around here since may of last year and was just recently motivated to get my ODST going. ive got most of the files that i need, im just waiting to get the card stock so i can start pepping.

STAND TALL MY ODST BROTHERS AND SISTERS!

Guess that must be because of how I fitted it or something...we'll see what the result looks like once I'll have a picture of myself in full gear!

wow this is looking great, love the helmet man and you did a lot of work pretty fast =D keep it up

Why, thank you a lot Road Kill!

I'm trying to work out a way to help my shoulder pieces stay in place. My initial idea was a strap and buckle going from the chest core, along my shoulder and tacked under my shoulder-armor, but problem with that is that with the reduced mobility of the suit, I need SOMEONE ELSE to buckle it up (I can't reach across!) ... so I'm trying to find alternative ways. Anyone got any suggestions?

Looking pretty good.. very detailed foaming, I wanna comment about the spine.. I think it's too long.. make it thinner so it would compress.. just a suggestion, I will not guarantee it'll work though :p

Looking pretty good.. very detailed foaming, I wanna comment about the spine.. I think it's too long.. make it thinner so it would compress.. just a suggestion, I will not guarantee it'll work though :p

Noted. However, I'll take a picture of myself wearing the full gear first and post it here; I am pretty tall (6'2), and the very last piece of the spine plate (the lowermost one) is mostly hidden by the butt packs (it goes kinda under it), making it look like one solid piece. It's hard to describe, but I'll get a picture up soon; keep in mind for now that only the "wings" of the lowest piece are visible when wearing the armor, the rest being hidden by the overlapping butt packs.

So, long story short : you'll all get a look at my sweet, sweet armored butt soon enough! :p

Turns out you were right, SkullBoy, the spine is indeed to long! I've removed the last and lowermost part. Fits much better now - thanks for the insight!

(And sorry if I indulge in double-posting in this thread, ahah)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back