playdohlord's sliced DMR WIP

Gun Camouflage?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

playdohlord

back from a long hiatus, friends! decided to get back into the game with a sliced cardboard DMR, the file credit goes to L3X BLU3R1V3R for the unfold...don't know who the original author is...and since i have seemingly lost my privilege to post a new thread in the noob forum, i am posting here...

but i digress, the project is in its second day and progressing smoothly

these are the tools i have to work with at the moment:
FILE0008.jpg

The (ridiculously large) magazine, capacity: 15 7.62mm rounds:
FILE0009.jpg

One traced outline, one ready to be traced:
FILE0010.jpg

First of 12 layers:
FILE00082.jpg

Update:

After running out of wood glue for a few days, I ended up with a kinda old lumpy kind that was a pain in the butt to mix up.
6/10 layers are complete
FILE0007.jpg

It is double layered cardboard, so it is getting a little thick, but still able to be held comfortably, and from the in-game pics, the DMR is kinda a wide weapon
FILE00083.jpg

FILE00092.jpg

That's all for now.

Cheers,
Playdohlord

got the last major outer layer completed tonight, starting to break out the foamies sheet for the handle and grip, its getting a little beefy, but should be manageable.
Pics tomorrow afternoon because im too tired and lazy to do it tonight :p

Cheers,
playdohlord

several days overdue, but as promised, i give you...PROGRESS

...I hate triangles...
FILE0005-1.jpg

grip still fits very comfortably, still planning on smoothing it out when the build gets to that stage
FILE0006.jpg

WHERE'S THE BEEF?!
FILE00072.jpg

the width on this might be pretty good where it's at, believe it or not. Been looking at some reference pics, the DMR is a hefty weapon at the widest section, and then tapers up to a more octagonal look on top, need to cut the angle into the front where the barrel protrudes.
I am loathing the prospect of having to make a Picatinny rail on the top, but i have a friend with a broken M4 airsoft carbine...it may fit the bill if i can disassemble it

and a funny thing about the magazine, the sides were a little unevenly cut, and, as a result, when I slipped it in the stock to check the fit...the friction lock worked a little too well, and the magazine was stuck.
i ended up having to rend it to ribbons with a pocketknife and now need to make a new (better) magazine

stay tuned

2 a days are taking a toll on productivity now that i can't really move my thumb anymore :p
i decided to make some previews of the camoflauge this gun could have, all different patterns and themes with a little bit of crappy photoshopping (paint.net actually) and these camouflage patterns were made by me, so they may deviate from what they would normally look like in some cases

camouflages.jpg

1. ERDL pattern, woodland theme
2. DBDU "Chocolate-Chip" pattern, desert theme
3. Call of Duty Tiger pattern, blue
4. Call of Duty Tiger pattern, red
5. Splittermuster pattern, arctic theme
6. Hex pattern, lowlight/urban theme
7. MARPAT "digital" pattern, standard theme

Got it assembled tonight...minus the optics, but i'm going to wait until later to add the picatinny rail and scope. pics as soon as i get my camera back from the brother

Cheers,
playdohlord

well...i would love to show progress, but my idiot brother took my camera with him to college, so it may be some time until progress is posted. In the meantime, please feel free to peruse the other magnificent threads here at the 405th!

Indeedy, your brother is fired and sentenced to help you out with your DMR! Are you going to put bondo on the cardboard to finish it up or going another road for that? Did you already decide on which camouflage you are going to use?

1. I wouldn't trust him to help :p
2. I am planning on bondo...but that is a ways off, i still have to shape it...thinking about scrapping the current model, going with a different drawing...the front of this one just kinda bums me out
3. Nahh, haven't decided yet...i really like the hex pattern though...dunno what color scheme to go with it

hmm...hex+splittermuster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back