Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
FINALLY!! I found a gold paint that satisfies!

SnPGjcV.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
*claps*

That's a great thread man, keep up the good work! I love the shine of your armor, quite impressive.

Wow, those plates really pop now! I can't wait to see the helmet redone in the new gold.

Thank you for the files by the way. I'm very interested in following your flow and starting on a helmet.

Wow, those plates really pop now! I can't wait to see the helmet redone in the new gold.

Me either.

Now I've got the colours right, I've sanded down the helmet again to prepare for the colour upgrade. Before I do that, I want to improve the faceplate hinge animatronics. I visited an engineer friend of mine and he gave me a solve, but it's something that needs to be done in a machine shop with precision lathing and milling.

Whilst that's great, it departs from the theme of being achievable in the average blokes shed, so I am opting for a solve of my own, repositioning my servo motor and using an aluminium push-rod.

Until then, I'm going to hold off re-painting the helmet.

7l6vUl5.jpg

95YxSmA.jpg

Here's the idea constructed in some cardboard to see if it's going to work. I've located the point of mechanical advantage, done the calculations on the servo's torque and load to move. This might actually work!

There's just enough room along the jaw to fit the servo sideways but I'll have to put something between the armature and my cheek, lest I rip out a few of my designer facial hairs.....

LvQpGEk.jpg

Fabricated a push-rod from some aluminium round bar. Servo push-pulls it fine. It's a bit squeezy in there so I bent the bar to contour my cheek a bit better.

Sd2bCda.jpg

eqIf5UO.jpg

YhIsD0a.jpg

This is comng on really nicely SB! I am really excited to see it all done but like the fact it's not a quick build or the thread would end :D

This is comng on really nicely SB! I am really excited to see it all done but like the fact it's not a quick build or the thread would end :D

Thanks man. Yeah, a bit like the observatory build thread that has been going for a couple of years. It's now done and the thread slides off into the ether in a heartbeat, forgotten just as quickly. :(

Ah I just meant on your first (failed) helmet. I like how your cardstock was red and yellow. Made for an interesting pep.
I must add though, you really give this guy hope! I just recently failed horribly on my first pep ever as I used the wrong scale. I was kinda bummed, but stumbled into your thread. After reading how you didn't like your first one, then started over, and seeing how amazing it turned out in the end, it's given me huge hopes for my second attempt!!
You're an inspiration to us all ;) Can't wait to see what else you come up with for this build!

Ah I just meant on your first (failed) helmet. I like how your cardstock was red and yellow. Made for an interesting pep.
I must add though, you really give this guy hope! I just recently failed horribly on my first pep ever as I used the wrong scale. I was kinda bummed, but stumbled into your thread. After reading how you didn't like your first one, then started over, and seeing how amazing it turned out in the end, it's given me huge hopes for my second attempt!!
You're an inspiration to us all ;) Can't wait to see what else you come up with for this build!

Good on you mate! Keep at it!

SB.

If you can tune into Australian TV channels, make sure you are watching tonight at 7pm AEST on Channel 7.

Better homes and Gardens is showing my observatory, but some of the footage was shot in front of the Iron Man suit.

If you can tune into Australian TV channels, make sure you are watching tonight at 7pm AEST on Channel 7.

Better homes and Gardens is showing my observatory, but some of the footage was shot in front of the Iron Man suit.

Whaaat!? You made it onto TV in an Ironman costume?! that's like two shakes away from actually being Tony Stark. I'll have to check it out, your observatory looks amazing too!

Whaaat!? You made it onto TV in an Ironman costume?! that's like two shakes away from actually being Tony Stark. I'll have to check it out, your observatory looks amazing too!

Yep. It appeared in the quick teaser just before the ads and again in the segment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back