Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another shot with Riddick on the suit's first night out.

3MjlGLC.jpg

That is AMAZING! I loved seeing all the stages. Iron Man's helmet was my first build. It never made it to resin as the kids fell on it lol And a huge CONGRATULATIONS on the article. I had hoped someone in my area would come dressed up to our premier but we got the guy in jammies instead lol

That is AMAZING! I loved seeing all the stages. Iron Man's helmet was my first build. It never made it to resin as the kids fell on it lol And a huge CONGRATULATIONS on the article. I had hoped someone in my area would come dressed up to our premier but we got the guy in jammies instead lol

Thanks mate. :cool

Bazza's Iron Man suit makes it's debut film appearance....

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally made a start on my new METAL Iron Man suit. Found an old aluminium sign about 2mm thick. Tracing up templates now.

The plan is to fit card templates over what I have built so far, then flatten them out and trace them onto sheet metal. Cut slots into key points in the sheet to facilitate the most curve, weld them shut, then use an egg-mallet and other shaping tools and hammers to fashion the shape better.

1gXqsKX.jpg

Getting ready to transfer templates to the next gen of Bazza's Iron Man build onto metal plate armour.

mSeASJJ.jpg

Ready to start cutting and shaping. Insert mad scientist manic laughter here...

s3RPVIj.jpg

Next cardboard template to be traced onto sheet metal. Anyone in Canberra got a TIG welder?

uPh9QmI.jpg

1. Metal cut out and ready to beat to death with a peening hammer. This will be fun. I've done all kinds of metalwork before, but this is new to me. Let's see how we go.

0KVjZBO.jpg

2. A few minutes with the peening hammer on a wooden block.

GLwgGoO.jpg

3. 1/2 an hour of metalshaping and it's looking promising. Certainly a lot quicker than the pepakura/bondo/fibreglass method.

0fLIS97.jpg

Looks OK. In hindsight, I would not cut the slots to help shape the crown. Aluminium is malleable enough to form a bowl on it's own. The hazards of learning for yourself.

1NSu7pD.jpg

Nothing helpful to say, but this thread is a treasure trove of ideas, absolutely loving it. Whenever I hear someone say they're going to do a metal suit it's normally over in a couple of days, but you already look like you know what your doing so best of luck!

Looking great my friend. And this time when I say great, I mean better than most of us could ever dream of doing. :cool

This is exciting that you are taking on metal :) I do chainmail and hopefully will be working up to plate armor as well. Cold forming can be crazy but it is doable, def. subscribed to see what you learn! Good work on the suit, I am excited to see your progress!

Thanks guys. I'm just putting the feelers out now on social media to see if anyone of my local friends has a TIG welder. I've welded ARC and MIG plenty, but never touched aluminium welding. I pick that sort of stuff up fairly quickly so here's hoping someone I know owns one.

Already got friends feeding me scrap aluminium plate so I can start on other parts soon.

They make some mini TIG attachments for and ARC welder. You could easily convert it for around $50. I use one quite a bit on my rig.

Thanks Ryno.

Printer software installed - about to print off all new templates to transfer onto sheetmetal and get ready to build MkII of my MK IV Iron Man suit. Now all I need is time!

New templates cut out for the Iron Man boot and abs. Transferring onto cardboard then once I've trimmed and adjusted it all, then transfer onto sheetmetal and start shaping.

6jq0h5C.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back