Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trialling a right boot in foam first.

Boot #1 completed in foam. Identified trouble spots and room for tweaking. Next to make one from card, improve design and articulation before final construction in aluminium.

zIk0fCA.jpg

qzoyvi0.jpg

Second boot done in card. All good so far. Just going to study articulation on the ball of the foot, then start the aluminium boot.

83Vb8h3.jpg

And here I was so looking forward to hearing you talk with your Aussie accent :)

Looks great by the way! That seems like it will give you great mobility and is such a clean design. Also, have you acquired the proper welder yet?

And here I was so looking forward to hearing you talk with your Aussie accent :)

Looks great by the way! That seems like it will give you great mobility and is such a clean design. Also, have you acquired the proper welder yet?

Got my eye on one at the local hardware store that should do the trick. While I'm saving up for it, I can get the rest of the cardboard suit sorted out.

I've had a bit of time at night to get a fair bit done with all this rain.

Funny thing is, I've printed all this off at the default scale for a 6-foot tall male, even though I'm 6'2". All this gym work I've been hard at for the last few months seems to be paying off as the suit is smaller than my last but I seem to fit into it perfectly - especially my midriff which has trimmed down a lot from my middle-aged spread.

Building in cardboard is a brilliant precursor to sheet metal, as it's shaping properties are similar, being semi-rigid and prone to buckling if you do it wrong.

dBhFGEZ.jpg

y3hfqn8.jpg

Today I've been working on the thigh. Perfect fit. Obviously it's cardboard so distortion will always happen when you put it on and move around, but once it's done in aluminium it won't be difficult to get each part aligned permanently.

McB0bld.jpg

oW98E0q.jpg

So... I've now got a bit of a hybrid prototype happening here. Fibreglass and filled upper, one leg paper hardened with firbreglass, but no filler, some foam for the neck and ribs, paper cod with no fibreglass, one foam boot and a complete leg and boot in cardboard. Looks like the cardboard is a winner for speed, budget and great templates for transferring to an entire aluminium suit.

n4K2AMR.jpg

P96ehy7.jpg

build is turning out amazing. but i agree the cardboard is just easier for transfer to aluminum.

I am a bit confused now. I imagined that you would be building these pieces for testing purposes (fit/size/shape), then unfolding them to be used as templates for when you go to cut the aluminum (stupid spell check won't let me spell it "correctly"!). Did I miss something?

I love the way these are coming out though... still can't wait to see it all in ferrous mode!

I am a bit confused now. I imagined that you would be building these pieces for testing purposes (fit/size/shape), then unfolding them to be used as templates for when you go to cut the aluminum (stupid spell check won't let me spell it "correctly"!). Did I miss something?

I love the way these are coming out though... still can't wait to see it all in ferrous mode!

I'm building the whole suit in cardboard because it has similar properties to sheet metal. Once the suit is complete in cardboard, I will be able to check it all for fit, adjust VERY easily being that it is only cardboard. I have kept all the paper templates that I traced onto the cardboard, so once I'm satisfied, I can just trace the same pieces onto sheet metal. Any that need modifying will be done at that time. Saves a lot of wastage in metal and cardboard is free.

Make sense?

AHHH!!! Gotcha! I didn't realize you had paper templates that you had transferred to cardboard. Now it makes total sense (and you probably stated that earlier too... my bad for not checking previous posts!)

I love how this is coming together. I would love to work with ferrous metals, but I think I have enough projects on my plate as it is:)

Can't wait to see some metal pieces :)
I can feel that this is going to be a great iron man suit.

This is probably too early, but any idea how your going to paint the metal suit?

1. Tracing the printed paper templates onto cardboard.

NVPvTxE.jpg

2. Cardboard chest-piece template done. Comparing it with one I prepared earlier. A very challenging part of the costume to get right.

oGjB74e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back