Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burning the LPG additive pong out of the home-made foundry. Strong stuff. It's been cut open, degreased and left soaking in turps for days and still stinks up the shed and half the property around it.

I looked up the chemical and it seems that household bleach will oxidise it. I'll finish it off with that tomorrow.

CII4UIf.jpg

Sprayed a smooth coat over the top to stop the next stages sticking to it.

auTG9kx.jpg

Packing the under-curves with plasticine in preparation for the pouring of the mold.

t6vVSkv.jpg

White Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline) as a barrier cream to stop the plaster from sticking.

9XeNEcs.jpg

First half of the mold - plaster poured. Tomorrow - the reveal!

ug5YKLT.jpg

I know this has been a pain in the ass for you, but this is truly awesome man. I can't wait to see how these turn out. Absolutely fantastic!

Thanks man. :D

Worked well, but there is a tricky bit or two that I've left a little on the low side that might need filling in before I pour the other half.

1sKBQu1.jpg

Burning the LPG additive pong out of the home-made foundry. Strong stuff. It's been cut open, degreased and left soaking in turps for days and still stinks up the shed and half the property around it.

LET THE PROMETHIUM BURN IT TO A CINDER.

But seriously. Fire is an amazing cure that works for just about everything. The forge looks pretty interesting too; I've often considered creating one myself, assuming I don't blow up the neighbourhood in the attempt.

Nice foundry, I'm in the process of making a forge and I plan to modify the design so I can use it as a basic foundry to melt aluminium and brass.
Looking forward to seeing those gloves with some plating on them, should look epic.

I have two forges for my knife making. They get up to temp to melt aluminium, brass etc, but they are too small to handle a decent sized crucible. Hence building a dedicated foundry.

Tonight's update:

Poured the second half of the left hand mold.

JlWf9ed.jpg

9gLpWwc.jpg

Trials tonight with colorant and paint tint in the white liquid latex. Thanks to Craig for the black tint. The left puddle has just a few drops of red and the right puddle has a drop of black and some more drops of red. I'll see how the flexibility of the cured latex performs in the morning.

Mv1cCy6.jpg

After a night and a day curing, the latex with red colorant set as it should. The latex with the black paint tint,(one drop) is still runny and un-set. I think the black tint has severely affected the chemistry of the latex.

UPIoAIq.jpg

Hinged the foundry. Casting the armour for the hands in aluminium. Still got to line it with refractory and clay.

bwrqRYM.jpg

And just because I had some spare time this weekend I built a deck... :p

krTW4AU.jpg

After a night and a day curing, the latex with red colorant set as it should. The latex with the black paint tint,(one drop) is still runny and un-set. I think the black tint has severely affected the chemistry of the latex.

http://i.imgur.com/UPIoAIq.jpg

Hinged the foundry. Casting the armour for the hands in aluminium. Still got to line it with refractory and clay.

http://i.imgur.com/bwrqRYM.jpg

And just because I had some spare time this weekend I built a deck... [emoji14]

http://i.imgur.com/krTW4AU.jpg
I'm not sure if you have a similar product, however when I mix pigment in it has to be right after I've started mixing part A and part B. Otherwise if you mix it in with one of the parts first then combine the two it throws off chemistry.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

OK. So the result is that the latex with the single drop of black tint added took a full day longer to set than just the plain red colorant.

Ryno, the weird thing is that what's left in the bottom of the mixing cup, hasn't set at all. Puzzling.

rDgESY1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back