Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. So the result is that the latex with the single drop of black tint added took a full day longer to set than just the plain red colorant.

Ryno, the weird thing is that what's left in the bottom of the mixing cup, hasn't set at all. Puzzling.

http://i.imgur.com/rDgESY1.jpg
Yes it happens to me also. Constantly stir while adding drops and scrape bottom avoid making bubbles. If it's like the product I use it will be more critical to mix by weight rather volume. Here in Texas the temperature changes dramatically so part A and part B while appear same however the composition is different due to expansion. Example my hot ass garage. [emoji4]

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Thanks Tom.

I need more to do now so I thought I would get started on the rest of the armour. I thought I would work my way down so I am starting at the neck.

Any idea how I would scale this one?

http://i.imgur.com/kQoBv.jpg

I'm not sure if anyone ever answered this but the easiest way I've found to scale this would have been to measure the distance you need the neck hole to be, for example 110mm across. Then you right click on the 2D side and go down to "measure distance between two points" After that you simply click on the two points you wish to measure across, on the 3D side, and the program will give you an accurate measurement according to its current scale. After that it's just a matter of adjusting the scale in increments until it's correct.

Attachments

• point measurement 1.png
    point measurement 1.png
    373.9 KB · Views: 185
  • point measurement 2.png
    point measurement 2.png
    361.2 KB · Views: 184
  • 3.png
    3.png
    367.7 KB · Views: 172
I'm not sure if anyone ever answered this but the easiest way I've found to scale this would have been to measure the distance you need the neck hole to be, for example 110mm across. Then you right click on the 2D side and go down to "measure distance between two points" After that you simply click on the two points you wish to measure across, on the 3D side, and the program will give you an accurate measurement according to its current scale. After that it's just a matter of adjusting the scale in increments until it's correct.

Thanks man. We are waaaaaaaaaaay past that now, but it may help someone else. Cheers.

SB.

- - - Updated - - -

All sealed up, (silastic gasket between to stop leaks) ready to pour the latex.

XeMW0Wz.jpg

The cracks will transfer to the outside of the gloves, but can be Dremelled off afterwards.

FlXq2rb.jpg

Mixing in a glass jar this time to get the colour kust right.

BbdezOv.jpg

First pour in and back out to coat it.

JoNpJJy.jpg

Warm, not hot airflow while flipping the moulds every few minutes to avoid pooling.

OruDm6p.jpg

They seem to be drying a lot faster this time. I've since poured in two layers of the red tinted latex and now two layers of plain white latex on the inside.

One more layer to go then leave it to dry until there is absolutely NO DOUBT that it is dry and set. A bit of talcum powder slapped around on the inside then slowly and carefully pull it from the mold.

that is just pure amazing. in iron man (or should i say "steel man") costume made of real metal

Thanks man. :)

Update:

Dusting the inside with talc before pulling the mold. Stops the new latex from sticking to itself.

DZ49oK7.jpg

Wow!! Turned out better than I'd hoped!!! Praise Jesus!!!

wI3pe1u.jpg

WOOHOOO!!!! Fits like a glove!!! I have a cotton glove on underneath this too.

I can now go ahead and snip all the seams off, give it a clean up and it's ready for the armour to go on.

tb0Eo4T.jpg

Yeah baby!!!!

BzeENMe.jpg

Dude this is simply freakin awesome!!!!

I know a guy who would pay good money for a sweet set of those!!! A shame they have to be made specifically for each persons hands. :(

but god dang man!!!!

Thanks dudes. No time to rest...

Tonight I made a self-aligning sand-casting box for pouring the hot metal for the hand armour casting.

jTr8J8Q.jpg

cM8F0Iv.jpg

if your going to mold the metal, then wont it be hard to mov your hand or are you going to cut the pieces and glue/ stick it to a glove?

if your going to mold the metal, then wont it be hard to mov your hand or are you going to cut the pieces and glue/ stick it to a glove?

I think what you're thinking and what I'm thinking are two totally different things mate, judging by your question.

I don't see any problem at all in casting the armoured parts in aluminium to fit over the latex glove. No different than any other IM gauntlet, just a better glove underneath and a more solid armour.

oh so thats wht your doing...I thought that the glove was just a test, and the real thing you are doing is molding the glove again, but in aluminium this time...stupid me lol

I talked about making a sheet-metal folding machine way back when I started building Iron man in steel. I ended up doing it by hand, but now my employer's workshop requires the capability, so I built one for them yesterday.

A couple of holes to drill and bolts to install, but it's basically made. Now I can fold sheet metal perfectly up to just over a metre wide and 4mm thick.

I have a pair of those heavy duty gate hinges at home too, so I can make one for myself when and if the need arises.

YdMPC5M.jpg

F9I7beI.jpg

Right! Back to work!

I'm having to freehand design the armoured pieces to fit over the latex under-glove. The card will give me the exact internal diameter of each piece. Once labelled in sequence and removed from the glove, they are stiff enough to support some clay over the top that I can sculpt to the right shape, thickness and surface detail. Then I will have solid clay patterns to press into the casting sand later for the molten aluminium pour.

Tomorrow I go to the ceramic store to pick up all my bentonite powder, fine sand, refractory for the new foundry and some sculpting clay. Everything I need to get this aluminium cast done. Very excited.

bRxtbth.jpg

WOW! $49 got me enough refractory and hardener to get the foundry up and running, plus bentonite, 30mesh fine sand for the greensand mix and finally some fine sculpting clay to make my patterns for the armour casts. Bargain! Thanks Walker Ceramics Fyshwick!

mx5slOf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back