Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Sandbagger's Iron Man build

Total bonus and I must admit that I am super happy that you will continue with aluminum, if not for any other reason than you will learn to be very proficient with the TIG welder... 'cause it never hurts to learn a new skill! :)

Thanks so much to my new random internet friend named Ben for dropping off his TIG today! You are so very kind and generous to give so freely mate! Now I can really get going on the suit!

These kids in their wards are going to go beserk with happiness! :D

Baz.

KdWuAfU.jpg

Looks awesome, Glade I'm back on to watch this amazing build. :)

Some updates from the last few weeks. Sorry it's been so long.

I had a little practice run at TIG welding.

Finally, I have found something I am not only bad at... but I totally suck at beyond human comprehension.

I have absolutely no idea what I am doing at all.

This is so hard, it's almost discouraging enough for me to scrap the whole project.

Fzy0nRw.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

It really is frustrating when you hit a wall like this.

Trying to keep my spirits up and a positive attitude on this, I picked up the correct grade of aluminium today, (5005). Clean, no paint or residue and the proper one for welding and anodising.

K75z4qj.jpg

Got the aluminium supplier to guillotine some 1mm strips off the parent sheet so I can use the same grade as a filler rod when welding.

oiC4qPx.jpg

These should keep me going for a while.

z6MBGgR.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE!!! GAAAAAHHHHH!!! :mad:

This time I used clean sheet, no contaminants and had a practice weld. I was happy with it.

4HcrUab.jpg

The moment I went to a suspended gap weld, it went to ****.

Ls3Klyg.jpg

So I ground it back, cleaned it and had another go. Worse. :mad: :mad:

8QNkvPe.jpg

Stuff this. I'm about to give the whole project away.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, it's decision time. Time to close the door on the aluminium build.

Ben, who lent me the welder came to my aid today to see if I am trainable in TIG welding. I'm not.

The hardest part was accepting the fact that I am not good at something I really want to be. It actually comes as a relief. Time to move on to the things that I am good at.

TIG welding a job like this is something to be attempted by someone with years of TIG experience. Even then, it's a daunting job.

I know it is unrealistic to expect to be instantly good at it. I realise it does take a lot of time to practice, but it's time I don't have.

I'm going back to steel and going to be MIG welding, which I can do. The suit will be heavier sure, but still manageable. I can fabricate in steel in a fraction of the time it takes to do the same in aluminium.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Ben_Wilson publicly for his tremendous generosity and helping heart in this, as well as Mad_Mic3 for his very inforamative PM's he sent me to help, which look like he put a lot of time and effort into composing for me.

Here's 3 pics to illustrate the arrival at what I think is a sound decision to move on.

zVkOnWX.jpg

cm6TFUX.jpg

nLuecTi.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Playing with cold-rolled mild steel now. Very soft and easy to work.

Finally got the metal-cutting blade for the band-saw, cut two pieces out beautifully and as I switched the saw off, it went BANG! $40 Brand new blade broken.

I'm seeing a pattern of every time a door opens, another one closes on this project. How many years have I been at this? :wired:

ZupWtJt.jpg

wGO0ewM.jpg

Getting very fast at this part. Cut and shaped it in 1/2 an hour. Ready to weld. Should be able to get this welded up on Saturday.

FhMzAvI.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Had a little win last night. My aircraft-grade tin-snips cut the smaller pieces with ease. Bottom lip cut in less than two minutes.

PTPAxv1.jpg

SUCCESS!!!!! I welded the steel faceplate all up this afternoon! A bit of fiddling with the settings on the welder as I am not used to welding steel this thin, (1mm). Now to grind it back and sand it smooth. Let the real suit begin!!!!!!!

q9KH6JP.jpg

TGt3f7n.jpg

Should a got titanium then it could be closer to the real thing :p

so purdy gonna be freakin sweet when its all finished. :thumbsup

Did some fill-welding in low points and cracks then re-ground smooth.

IEAbR1Y.jpg

Welded in some thin strips in the eyes. I'll be doing this right around the faceplate.

XC3GEsw.jpg

Thin strip filed smooth and shaped the edge. That's starting to give it some depth now.

qzCD9KT.jpg

Started on the next bits. Small steps and taking time will get this done.

u8nlCIl.jpg

You got this!!!
Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the encouragement mate!

I had a day off work today, so I spent most of it in the workshop. All the parts for the helmet cut out and beaten into shape, ready to tack together and weld.

GEI287K.jpg

Ah man now it is on!!! I so can not wait to see this done.

You going to line the inside of the helm with eva foam for comfort?

Ah man now it is on!!! I so can not wait to see this done.

Me either! It's like a vendetta now...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks dudes. Yes I will line it.

A few bits and pieces cut, shaped and ready to weld.

Handplate.

yBMJmWX.jpg

Knuckles.

JMLdjI0.jpg

laRzSiK.jpg

Fingers.

kQ9oLZJ.jpg

YexBKxg.jpg

You must be making Tony Stark proud with this build. Amazing work. :cool

Status
Not open for further replies.